Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 12:04:56 PM EDT
I'm looking to add another battle rifle to the list and the next one will be an FAL. I love my M4 and SA M1A, but now I want an FAL. The M1A is a great rifle but is difficult to set up with optics or and night vision (ie. PVS14 with Aimpoint or ACOG). The scope sits too high and too far forward. I have a Rooster cheek rest and barrel rail but for some reason is doesnt seem to made for such set ups. To go from iron to scope is too much truble. I now have it set up for iron sights and an aimpoint on my barrel rail. As for my M4, its a nice 200 yrds or less rifle but I'm looking for something with more power. Something that can take down a large animal if needed - a lot of bears in the woods where I live.

As far as the FAL brand I think I'm going to go with DSA because of their quality. I want one as short as possible, so the barrel length will be 16inches and threaded. Since I live in a ban state I'll get it with a thumbhole stock, which I can change to a regular stock or para, if  I move to a non-ban state. Its easier to change the stock then get the barrel threaded. I plan to put an ACOG or Aimpoint/PVS14 type of setup so I'll get a rail mount over the receiver. I also want to put a surefire flash light and will also get the fore grip rail system.

Any comments or suggestions?
What barrel should I get - standard or stainless?
What type of receiver?

GF
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]
have you considered having one built ?
approx $800-$900 to have a very nice one built
I've been researching a semi-auto .308 (battle rifle) and having a FAL built seems to be a great way to go. some very good FALsmiths out there.
been reading Falfiles.com a bit and it appears wolfsburgbob offers great quality Imbel kits. (chrome lined barrels)
mate that with a DSA or Imbel receiver and the req. US parts and you're good to go.
wolfsburgbob kits --->
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158428
FALsmiths --->
http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=7&t=194612 (Who has the best reputation for building FAL rifles from kits?)

I'd like to get an AR-10 but for $500-$600 less I can get a like new FAL  hinking.gif
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
For most of the same reasons you have outlined, I have on order  a  DSA STG58 Carbine - but I specified an 18" barrel. I think for the .308 a 16.25" barrel is a wee bit short and found the 18" to be just about right.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
For most of the same reasons you have outlined, I have on order  a  DSA STG58 Carbine - but I specified an 18" barrel. I think for the .308 a 16.25" barrel is a wee bit short and found the 18" to be just about right.

I think Im going with the shortest barrel because 2 inches doesnt make much difference and I want to be able to use it in a CQB role especially if I move to a non ban state and want to make it a para
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm looking to add another battle rifle to the list and the next one will be an FAL. I love my M4 and SA M1A, but now I want an FAL. The M1A is a great rifle but is difficult to set up with optics or and night vision (ie. PVS14 with Aimpoint or ACOG). The scope sits too high and too far forward. I have a Rooster cheek rest and barrel rail but for some reason is doesnt seem to made for such set ups. To go from iron to scope is too much truble. I now have it set up for iron sights and an aimpoint on my barrel rail. As for my M4, its a nice 200 yrds or less rifle but I'm looking for something with more power. Something that can take down a large animal if needed - a lot of bears in the woods where I live.

As far as the FAL brand I think I'm going to go with DSA because of their quality. I want one as short as possible, so the barrel length will be 16inches and threaded. Since I live in a ban state I'll get it with a thumbhole stock, which I can change to a regular stock or para, if  I move to a non-ban state. Its easier to change the stock then get the barrel threaded. I plan to put an ACOG or Aimpoint/PVS14 type of setup so I'll get a rail mount over the receiver. I also want to put a surefire flash light and will also get the fore grip rail system.

Any comments or suggestions?
What barrel should I get - standard or stainless?
What type of receiver?

GF

Just FYI, the para stock setup (Stock, bolt carrier and top cover) is about 400 bucks from DSA.  You could check to see if it would be cheaper to get the para up front and thread the barrel later.

ETA: Maybe you can't get the para where you are? (I'm not sure what the rules are in your state...) So my post may bring nothing to the table.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Just FYI, the para stock setup (Stock, bolt carrier and top cover) is about 400 bucks from DSA.  You could check to see if it would be cheaper to get the para up front and thread the barrel later.

ETA: Maybe you can't get the para where you are? (I'm not sure what the rules are in your state...) So my post may bring nothing to the table.

Still in a ban state, so cant get the para. I would rather do the barrel threads since its easier to buy and add the para later.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#6]
www.classicarms.us has imbel kits for $229. i just ordered one, we'll see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:16:24 AM EDT
[#7]
DSA only way to go
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top