Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 5:18:52 PM EDT
Never owned one, found this one at the gun show here last weekend. It is clean inside and out, bore looks great. I know all the grief about Century made guns, and this is one, but I liked the way it looked and always wanted one. From what I have been able to find out online, it has an Imbel gear logo reciever imported by PAC and so marked (also marked assembled by CAI). I bought a stripped Imbel reciever a couple of years ago, planning to build one (which I never did). The stripped reciever has a date stamped into the inside of the magazine well, I figure to comply with the AW import ban. My new rifle has no date on it at all anywhere. Would this mean pre import ban or am I off here? I would also like to know how CAI attached the fake STG58 FH. I would like to remove it and use an original (also would need another US made part in its place perhaps?) Any replies greatly apreciated.
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/64/00000099th.jpg
edited for stupid picture placement
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
calling CAI would be your best bet to answer your questions positively.....
you will need another US part if you replace the FH with an original......
have to have 7 US parts....10 maximum imported parts.... imported mags count for 3 parts

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#2]
www.arizonaresponsesystems.com has U S made StG58 flash hiders for sale. All of the accounts that I have read indicate that these are very well made flash hiders.

BTW, that is a very good looking rifle. So long as you don't shoot it from the bi pod, it should be a fine shooter.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:49:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Are they that inaccurate when shot from the bipod?

Quoted:
www.arizonaresponsesystems.com has U S made StG58 flash hiders for sale. All of the accounts that I have read indicate that these are very well made flash hiders.

BTW, that is a very good looking rifle. So long as you don't shoot it from the bi pod, it should be a fine shooter.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe you can buy a US made repo flash hider from DSA
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a DSA STG58C carbine and when I use the bipod off of the bench it pushes the POI up about an inch or two using SA ammo.  Nothing to worry about and not a problem for me.

Had it out shooting yesterday and it is one of my favorites.  Utterly reliable & effective (if loud) muzzle break.  A nasty little rifle!!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice!! Congrats!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#7]
No. Not sure where the bipod hate is coming from.

Quoted:
Are they that inaccurate when shot from the bipod?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#8]
What could possibly be wrong with a Century built on an Imbel reciever?  That's a sweet rifle.

(Is that an 'Army man' on the floor?)
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:21:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice looking weapon +1
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:00:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice rifle, you are going to have a lot of fun with it. Congrats.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a DSA STG58, it is VERY accurate right out of the box.
My suggestion is that unless you plan on doing a lot of prone or bench shooting is to remove the bipod legs and attachment.
It'll lighten up the front end of the gun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What could possibly be wrong with a Century built on an Imbel reciever?  That's a sweet rifle.

(Is that an 'Army man' on the floor?)

Yes, its an army man. What, YOU guys don't play with em anymore? h
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
calling CAI would be your best bet to answer your questions positively.....

I finally got a reply from tech support from CAI. According to them, the rifle originaly came with a short muzzle brake and was pinned and welded on. After a closer look with a bore light from the muzzle end, the brake looks to be silver soldered on (bright silver ring around the inner side of the brake around the edge of the muzzle) If the CAI tech guy was right, it appears that someone has already had someone do some work to it. The fit and finnish all through the gun is nearly flawless.
everything is very nicely parkerized with none of the usual century paint and complemtary filth in every nook and cranny (had a CAI CETME, I know this grime well.) Everything is tight, no wiggles, wobbles or rattles to be found. I still haven't fired it, but it won't be long. I have several guns I recently bought and haven't fired yet (the Stg58 clone here, a G3 clone from ORF, a Desert Eagle .50 AE I picked up at B. Goodmans Saturday along with one of those Indian Enfields in .308, jungle carbine configuration, also bought 2 cases of SA .308) and its just about to kill me.

Edited for spelling and other stupid stuff.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#14]
That looks soooo sweet.
I am into my 4th week of waiting for my DSA STG58. Everytime I see someone coming home with one I figure that mine is one step closer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I finaly got to the range with this thing. I am sure, with CAIs repution, this one has been gone over by someone else. It works flawlessly. Using Australian surplus and SA, gas port set on 4 and no problems. Being new to these things, I wanted to play around a little with the gas adjusment. 4 was the place to leave it, One click more and it would extract but not get it all the way out of the ejection port. One more click and it simply slammed it back into the chamber. Back to 4, sewing machine. Fired over 200 rnds after this experiment without a hitch. I love it. Think I'll get more lol.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy as much surplus ammo as you possibly can. The golden age of cheap and readily available surplus is quickly fading away.

If you must remove the muzzle device, replacing the floor plates in your mags is a far less expensive way to comply with the parts count bullsh*t than buying a US made flash hider. The floor plates run about a buck each.

That is a fine looking rifle. I hope that you enjoy it for many years to come.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#17]
KA3B,How accurate is 'very accurate'?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#18]
so you still have that other stripped reciever?  how about a FTF in ohio
I have a super nice STG-58 kit that needs one, or I could sell it and double my money. . .
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Shot my DSA STG58 this past week and found it very accurate with the irons. Even shot it with the bipod deployed and it was still as accurate.

Love my STG58, just wish it was a bit lighter.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I still have the stripped lower. Shooting this one has motivated me to build it like it should have been built some time ago. I have an Stg58 parts set that is all matching and looks for all the world like it had never been fired before they took the saw too it. After firing it, I have decided I'm going to leave this one alone as far as the muzzle brake goes, BUT, I AM going to change to plastic hand guards. MAN, those metal hand guards get way too hot. When I build the other, I will get enough U.S. parts to keep the original flash hider. Now my only regret is that I didn't get into these rifles much, much sooner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top