Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 5:56:48 AM EDT
I just got my first M1A, used from its original owner.  He said he only put around 1000 rnds through it and it looks like it could be even less than that.  However, I took it shooting for the first time yesterday and it would only feed every third or fourth round.  The rifle is spotless with no dirt and very little oil on the piston.  It had the problem with military surplus ammo & new remington ammo.  I also tried five different USGI mags with the same result.  
I am open to ideas or tips on how to troubleshoot this, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:49:41 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just got my first M1A, used from its original owner.  He said he only put around 1000 rnds through it and it looks like it could be even less than that.  However, I took it shooting for the first time yesterday and it would only feed every third or fourth round.  The rifle is spotless with no dirt and very little oil on the piston.  It had the problem with military surplus ammo & new remington ammo.  I also tried five different USGI mags with the same result.  

First, never leave oil on the gas piston or in the gas cylinder. These parts are subjected to extreme heat. Oil will burn and "varnish".

You could have any number of problems, including but not limited to improper lubrication, weak recoil spring, Loose op rod guide, poorly fitted stock, worn out gas system. Or something as simple as a loose gas cylinder plug. You should do a detailed inspection of the entire rifle.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Check the chamber to make sure that it is free of machine marks/burrs.  Mine was short stroking whith my handloads because I was not re-sizing the brass adequately.  Basically, there was too much friction between the fired case and the chamber walls resulting in a short stroke where the action would work well enough to re-cock the hammer but not with sufficient force for the brass to completely clear the chamber and be ejected. The following shot would result in a simple snap of the hammer falling on the same spent case still resding in the chamber. Since you are using new ammo, you might have a chmaber that needs to be cleaned up by a gunsmith. If this is a SA M1a I would send it off to the factory for their attention and care.

Karl
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Also there could be extreme carbon build-up in the gas plug as well as the piston.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#4]
clean the chamber with an M14 chamber cleaning brush.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top