Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 7:05:34 PM EDT
Anyone have a possible time frame on how long the CMP will be selling Garands?  I have been told that they are drying up and will only be avaliable for 3-4 more years.  Is this true?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd bet less time than that.  Probably 2-3 years tops.  Except for the rare variations that they will slowly auction off for a while longer.

Just my .02, but they are moving quickly,
Steve L.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Doubt seriously there will be any available 2 years from now.  Unless they limit purchases to 1 a year, I would not be surprised if they were all but gone in a year.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#3]
The standard responses from CMP (IIRC), are 4-5 years on M1s and 2-3 years on 1903s.  Most of what will be left are the lower grades as that is what they have the most of.  IIRC the breakdown of what they get when opening the crates is something like 1% collector grade, 5% correct, 10% service grade, and the balance are field, rack and scrap/junk.  The new in wrap ones go to auction for big big dollars and the collector ones are like $1400.  Check out thier forum on the CMP website.

Recently when the 1903a3s were selling out CMP said they had 6 months to a year's supply.  They sold out in about 2 months.  I think the CMP sales are accellerating as people are figuring they are a finite item now.  

They say they have thousands of them still in crates that haven't been looked at or graded.  They allow a person to buy 8 M1s each year!  Although they aren't supposed to, dealers are buying them up and selling them at a huge mark up.  Heck check out the equipment exchange here, lots of guys are doing it right here contrary to the signed affadavit they sent to CMP.  Easy enough to do, order a bunch of rackers for $350 and sell them for $600 or more. (after taking and swapping collectible parts for Winchester etc or early prewar parts)  They can Ebay the collectible parts and get the cost of the rifle for 2 or 3 parts.  Come up with a Winchester op rod or good condition barrel and you probably can pay for 2 rackers.  

The privateering is going to dry the CMP rifles up soon, so get one soon before they're gone and you have to buy the same rifle later for $1100.

I've been tempted to order 4 and resell 3 just so I get a better chance at getting one in nice shape.  But then again, I have a hard time selling guns.

SoS
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Ditto to the above post.  I'm going to be saving the best I can to get a correct grade H&R to complete my dream of one of each of the manufacturers.  I just received a FG Winnie a few days ago.  Outside of the handguards, it's great.  Guages as a Service grade.  Probably got dinged to FG 'cause of the wood (blone Eurotrash beech).  Oh well, gives me an excuse to order a CMP stock set.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all for the information I need to order one quickly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thank you all for the information I need to order one quickly.

One?  Is there such thing as one Garand?  I thought they ran in herds.  One will forever be lonely and pining for its armory buds.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought it could keep my M1A and AR company?  Was I wrong?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes I think so,  although I'm going for different stuff first, hmmm maybe I should rethink this and get a few rackers so I can stack arms correctly or fill one of those wooden CMP rifle crates.

I have my 1903 and my m1 is due any day now, and I find myself looking at all the sites with info on Enfield rifles.  Oh yeah, I already have a 7.35mm Carcano, only been dropped once.  Sorry to all my Italian friends.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Next i will be working on the acquisition of an M1 carbine.  I am debating on buying a reciever and then building it or buying a complete rifle.  

I will just have to keep my eyes open.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top