Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 6:43:15 PM EDT
Can you get a decent paint job on a SA SOCOM stock with that rough finish?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Define "decent".
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
An even consistent finish & color.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Just buy a USGI surplus stock and either paint it or have someone else.  To get a good finish you have to strip the old finish off.

Max
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm well aware of the USGI stock. My question pertains to painting a SA SOCOM stock.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm well aware of the USGI stock. My question pertains to painting a SA SOCOM stock.

The stocks SA use are USGI stocks, they just dorked 'em up with that crinkle crap finish. Many people say it tends to remove itself with a bit of use. Since it has some adhesion issues, you'll probably need to strip it off until you get to the original paint, then sand and refinish.But hey, you're probably well aware of that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm well aware that you're well aware that I'm well aware.   Since, we have that cleared up I guess the answear to the original question is not likely.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm well aware that you're well aware that I'm well aware.   Since, we have that cleared up I guess the answear to the original question is not likely.

Now we're gettin' somewhere. I think your not likely guess is likely right.Are we clear as mud yet?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#8]
You betcha!  

I'm getting a M1A standard next month & was looking at my options since I want to take the wood stock off.

I currently have a USGI woodland camo stock from Fred's that I was going with since I was thinking that the SA SOCOM stock was a better quality stock. Now I'm going to stick with the Fred's stock.  I managed to pick up a SOCOM scout mount & handguard on Ebay since I want the option to put an Comp M2 on it, as well as a conventional scope mount.  The forthcoming Amega Ranges rail handguard is way to much $$ ($299.95) for me to go there.  I'll do a few more upgrades but want to keep it as a general use gun vs. the NM route (since I already have one of those).

Later!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top