Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2005 12:35:50 PM EDT
Anyone out there own one?  I'd like to find out how it shoots, what the recoil is like and how accurate it is under 100 meters.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Several folks here own one, including myself, and I'm sure they'll chime in eventually.
Out to 100yds mine is as accurate as I am, haven't had a chance to shoot at further distances.
Recoil is a non-issue at least for me, your mileage may vary. I'm 5'10" and 170lbs to give you a bench mark.
I've thrown mine into a Sage and the recoil is even less now due to the additional weight. Can't comment on increased accuracy, if any, as the beyond 100yd shooting hasn't happened yet. I can state it didn't get worse out to that distance.
Keep in mind that the front blade sight is rather thick so this may have some bearing on the rifles ability to be "sniper-rific" without optics.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Only optics I want on it is an aimpoint or an ACOG.  I'm not worried about distance.  I have a remington 700 PSS for that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#3]
do a search on Socom16 and you will find alot even about ammo that works best.

Slug-O

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Only optics I want on it is an aimpoint or an ACOG.  I'm not worried about distance.  I have a remington 700 PSS for that.

If that's the case you're good-to-go. I use an Aimpoint, high mount, and have no problems hitting an 8" target at 100yds. Up close it gets even easier.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Kewl, thanks for the info.  I'm putting mine on layaway after the new year.  I'm going with an ACOG so I can use it for close sniping and a CQB gun.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Slugo how does that 25 rounf mag work?
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 4:59:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Its a 30 round mag and it runs great. I bought 2 of them on gunbroker for 40.00. All metal construction and work every time.

Slug-O
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad to hear it.  I think its gonna be my race gun.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine is a POS due to the famous SA exploding bolt.
First one had the original bolt replaced due to extractor problems and the replacement disintergrated at the range. I'm on my 2nd all new SOCOM and I hope it works better, I haven't shot it yet
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
The Socom is more for close range work, correct? But can it deliver at 200 yards?  Or would it be better to go for the Standard/loaded standard, maybe even scout?
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The Socom is more for close range work, correct? But can i deliver at 200 yards?  Or would it be better to go for the Standard (NW if i could afford it)

Depends what you want it for.  If you are shooting targets way out with iron sights you can't beat the long sight radius that the standard model offers.  If you just want one for shooting close up with iron sights then get the more compact SOCOM.  If you are scoping it then I am not sure which one you should get as it would be based on more or less muzzle velocity.  Personally I love my standard with iron sights.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
do a search on Socom16 and you will find alot even about ammo that works best.

Slug-O

i17.photobucket.com/albums/b96/leondana/LeonSocom16.jpg

hey slug-O how does the eotech work ? holding up? heat problems?
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
First one had the original bolt replaced due to extractor problems and the replacement disintergrated at the range. I'm on my 2nd all new SOCOM and I hope it works better, I haven't shot it yet

That sucks. I've got approx 2,000 rounds through mine with no issues. Hope your current fix is the last you have to deal with.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 6:13:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Can you elaborate on the exploding bolt incident? Was it cold out at the time? Any other factors that might have played a role? Do you shoot a LOT? Is this second SOCOM one that SA sent you to remedy the bolt issue? Or did you buy it?

I ask because I have a NIB SA M1A Standard on lay-away right now and am curious as to what actual issues people have had. I LOVE the looks of this gun and cannot afford an LRB model anyways. But my purpose for it is a SHTF long-range sniper. And it makes me a bit uncomfortable to think of the possibility of a bolt exploding at the worst possible time. I plan to do some swapping-out with USGI parts, but I'm sure it'll be a while before I am able to replace the bolt.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you elaborate on the exploding bolt incident? Was it cold out at the time? Any other factors that might have played a role? Do you shoot a LOT? Is this second SOCOM one that SA sent you to remedy the bolt issue? Or did you buy it?

I ask because I have a NIB SA M1A Standard on lay-away right now and am curious as to what actual issues people have had. I LOVE the looks of this gun and cannot afford an LRB model anyways. But my purpose for it is a SHTF long-range sniper. And it makes me a bit uncomfortable to think of the possibility of a bolt exploding at the worst possible time. I plan to do some swapping-out with USGI parts, but I'm sure it'll be a while before I am able to replace the bolt.

Ditto only a socom 2 on layaway
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto only a socom 2 on layaway

complete details here and it was in the teens when the gun died
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=415304
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:12:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Any other gripes bitches or complaints about the SOCOM 16?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:27:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Any other gripes bitches or complaints about the SOCOM 16?

Yeah, just one - I don't own one yet
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:07:01 AM EDT
[#19]
i have mine  (socom II ) but havent gone to the range yet i bought a sage ebr navy off Overton7 he said he mailed out Tus but the us post hasnt delivered it yet  then it gets the trip to da range
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I got to fire mine that I have on Layaway last night and I'm here to tell you that I like the way it shoots.  Smooth recoil and fast reaquistion of my target.  I'm looking forward to putting a few hundred rounds thru it when I get it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got a Steyr (Leupold) Scout scope on mine.  I have shot a 1.5 inch 3 shot group off the bench at 100 yards with it using Federal Gold Match ammo.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I love mine. Shoots well and throws the brass in one neat little pile. I haven't had a chance to do any "precision" shooting as the times I have taken it out to shoot I had a 40 knot crosswind from a cold front coming through. Even on the bench the wind gusts would move the rifle. It shot respectable despite the wind, but I didn't measure the grouping. There is absolutely no muzzle jump but wear some good earplugs. With earplugs it isn't any louder than my other rifles. I haven't heard it without ear protection so I can't comment on that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought one when they first came out.  It's an awesome cqb weapon.  I put an Aimpoint ML3 on it.  I also have a Leopold 2x for longer range shooting.

I had a problem with this rifle that Springfield corrected; the complete front sight assembly/compensator shot off about ten feet downrange!  Springfield didn't assemble this rifle correctly.  I shipped it off to them and they installed a new assembly.

That was the only problem I've had so far.  

I've shot hundreds of rounds thru it since then.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:47:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Tag for later reading.

What is the going cash price for the SOCOM at the funshows?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What is the going cash price for the SOCOM at the funshows?

Generally the lowest price around me is $1500 (original SOCOM). I have been offered them as low as $1400, but I did not have the ca$h and of course when you look for the same deal later it is higher - usually much higher.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#26]
welp it finaly arrived. i mounted it that day  went to the range 10 am monday it puts them in a 3" circle  with the irons at 150 FT rapid fire my eyes aint that good anymore and the rear ap is huge so it dose great for in close work gonna try a scout scope next  then maybe i can see the target
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#27]
hurry up and get to the range........it has been 4 days since oyu posted that picture.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I admit that my SOCOM16 has become my constant companion and has replaced my Colt 6920 as my go to gun.  I have an Aimpoint on it and it hits the steel plates every time at 100 to 200 meters.  It is fast, accurate, and very dependable.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#29]

There mine is.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I own one, but I've only had it in my posession for roughly twenty consecutive seconds.  It shipped from the factory with the elevation adjustment knob missing, and weeks later, I still don't have my rifle yet.

I have no range report, shooting impressions, or any other useful commentary on its real world handling characteristics to share, but I loved the balance and fit of the rifle.  I just up and fell in love with it at the store.  I just hope that it shoots as well as it looks and feels and that I can confirm as such sooner rather than later.

Getting this rifle has turned into a genuinely improbable series of fantastic accidents, mistakes, setbacks, and outright foul-ups the likes of which I had never experienced in my short tenure as a firearms-buying member of the public at large.  I ordered the rifle on the 29th of November, by the way...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd like to find a way to get this paint off my stock.  I'm planning on getting a digital style of paint done on it.  Would it just be easier to get it painted over or is there an easier way to get it off?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I had a chance to handle one of these today at the local gun shop. I think im in love! It is a sweet piece of hardware. Looks pretty mean too. I found my next purchase...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Have any of you guys run a suppressor in one of these bad boys?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I've read about suppressors being used on these things.  From my reading, as long as your using subsonic ammo there isnt really an issues with them.  It does however make them prety front end heavy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top