Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2003 2:31:40 AM EDT
Are the Springfield M1A barrels chrome lined? If some are and some aren`t please specify which ones are chromed. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#1]
The only chromed lined barrels for the M1A are USGI M-14 barrels.. they will be marked TRW, H&R, HRA, SA, WRA, SAK, Wilson barrels has been supplying SA Inc with non-chromed line barrels and are in the process of making and marketing chromed line barrels, which should be out any day now.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Reliability of an M1A is directly proportional to the quantity of USGI M14 parts, starting with the barrel and bolt.  Op rod and trigger group are other highly desireable USGI parts.  USGI magazines are mandatory.  These parts are getting harder and harder to come by.  CMP has no M14 spare parts listed as of last week.  I suspect hording, but....

"Loaded" is Springfield Arsenal (Inc.)-speak for "it ain't got any USGI parts on it!"

As noted Wilson will be making chrome lined M14 barrels in the near future (if not already).  Expect them to be in short supply.

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmm.. so the M21 I recently bought that was built early this year is going to be a "POS" for me? Just cause it lacks a higher number of USGI surplus parts? Tell me what to expect, what's going to fall off of it? Will it fail to function all together? I've only put maybe 100 rounds through it so far without a single malfunction. Is there some magic number of rounds before I should expect it to implode?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
My reliability comments concern service rifles, not sniping rifles (which are essentially range rifles and get babied all their lives).

Does your M21 have the cast trigger group, cast oprod, and cast bolt?  

You may not put enough rounds thru it, the reliability issues often never show up on the range.

You may also experience some problems shooting 7.62mm service ammunition if the chamber is too small.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Does your M21 have the cast trigger group, cast oprod, and cast bolt?  

I'll look it over, how do you tell? I do think it has a cast bolt as I've checked out the numbers in that recall once before. Let me know and I'll post the results.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#6]
From my article at m14.freeservers.com/about.html

Commercial Parts Identification -

bolt - 7790186-SA on the first line B00048 or F00059 or similar number on the second line

operating rod - 7267064-2 on the first line SA on the second line

trigger group housing 7267030-G or 7267030-H or 7267030-I

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#7]
My SA F00043 certainly appears to be a casting when compared to two HRA and a TRW bolt.  The SA bolt is essentially a spare, but came on a Springfield (Inc.) Bush Rifle.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hmm.. so the M21 I recently bought that was built early this year is going to be a "POS" for me? Just cause it lacks a higher number of USGI surplus parts? Tell me what to expect, what's going to fall off of it? Will it fail to function all together? I've only put maybe 100 rounds through it so far without a single malfunction. Is there some magic number of rounds before I should expect it to implode?

The only thing you need to replace now is the extractor. This cast part is the only one that is SURE to fail.

Call Fulton and order a USGI extractor now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:10:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I need help identifing my bolt. I have a Springfield loaded standard M1A. Serial # 114xxx. I bought it new a couple years ago. I checked the number on it and it reads like this.

TRW ZH

Everything else seems to be commercial. Is this a commercial bolt?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:40:09 AM EDT
[#10]
You got lucky.

TRW is a GI bolt.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#11]
As noted you have a TRW bolt.  The other parts to check are the op rod, trigger group, and barrel.

-- Chuick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top