Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2003 1:57:52 PM EDT
Are the national match features interchangeable with the standard features, and are they better?
SA's website says the NM model its own flash hider style, how is it different?

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#1]
rag,

In specific answer to the flash hider question, a NM hider is the exact same piece as the standard, but the exit hole has been reamed out a little in order to prevent any adverse affects on bullet travel.  There is a limit to the match allowable reaming - I believe a #7 reamer is used.

Most all of the NM parts are interchangeable with the standard models.  That's the nature of military HP shooting - only allowing limited modifications to a standard-issued gun.  Some pieces need slight modifications to fit well, but by and large almost every NM modification, except a NM stock bedding job, can be done by anybody with opposable thumbs.  A good bedding job is a lot more complicated than that of a regular bolt gun.

Most of the NM improvements are designed to limit excess movement or binding in the gas operation system and to prevent items like the handguard & op rod from contacting the barrel at all - thereby preserving shot to shot consistency........which is the "name of the game" in competitive shooting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info!
Are the barrels generally chrome lined (in prebans) and are they marked if they are chrome lined?

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info!
Are the barrels generally chrome lined (in prebans) and are they marked if they are chrome lined?

Are you talking about Springfield Armory NM guns? If so, they use medium weigth barrels that are not chrome-lined. They also have the usual NM mods such as glass-bedding of the reciever, NM trigger assembly, hooded rear sight and an adustment for +/- 1/2 inch, NM op-rod assembly. I think there are others but I can't remember what else, getting old...
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
All preban & postban rfles use chrome lined barrels.Only difference is in the flashider (bayo lug).

All military M14 barrels that are chrome lined have manufacturing names (SA,SAK,TRW,etc.) and federal stock numbers stamped on them.

Commercial Spfld barrels are not chrome lined.Very easy to tell if you know what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Should I stay with the chrome lined barrel?
I have my eye on a preban NM, and haven't seen it to determine if its chrome lined or not.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:47:31 AM EDT
[#6]
A true Nat'l Match rifle will not have a chrome lined barrel.Just because it may have a S/S or C/M barrel doesn't make it a Nat'l Match either.Only Douglas (Gene Barnett) or Kreiger (John) and Hart make true NM barrels.

Spfld Inc.started selling loaded rifles with non chromed barrels because of the shortage of chromed barrels and to increase sales.

However,non chromed barrels will shoot better than their chrome lined counterparts.Even Spfld barrels shoot well if the stock is bedded correctly but,not as good as a true match barrel.

Here's some pros and cons on M14,M1A barrels.

Non chrome lined barrels-better accuacy,short life span,prone to rust or corroding,higher cost.

Chrome lined barrels-good-very good accuracy,long life span (30,000rds average),rust and corrosion resistant,lower cost.

These are the basics to consider when choosing a barrel for your M1A.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Any National Match rifle, of any type, is only expected to shoot 80 rounds at a time, which makes field use subject to problems.  Race cars don't make good daily drivers, nor do match rifles mage good general purpose rifles.

The M1 and M14 are also-rans in National Match competition anyway, the M16 system wins the events.  Trying to win matches with one of these olde girls is kinda like showing up with a fully race prepped 1964 Ford Galaxy 500 XL 427cid NASCAR race car at a 2003 NASCAR race.  Was a great race car.  Once upon a time.  And makes a poor daily driver too.

-- Chuck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top