Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:
In case you didn’t know, they’re free from the ATF, not even a shipping charge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HPIguy:

I ordered from National Gun Trusts. Their walk through really helped me out with my first form one last year, so I figured I'd support them.
Yep, I keep a stack of em just in case I screw some up.

Just FYI for everyone, my last set of prints I sent in looked horrible. I had serious doubts if they would be accepted. They were accepted so y’all don’t worry too much about them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought about printing my dog’s paws on the card to see if they would catch it.  But reality set in and I have money invested in this project.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got two 5in 223 dedicated cans in with Nick now. My form 1s should be coming back any day. This will be can number two and three he has done for me. I simply will not use anyone else no matter the time frame. His communication, workmanship and professionalism is second to none. As some have stated above, I hope he make a fortune and he and his wife enjoy their working relationship. All positive feedback on my end brother. If anyone is hesitant, just freakin do it. I'm en route to probably another three of four cans this year. End goal, dedicated can for each host lol.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Some videos of the latest 9mm can on a couple Glocks:

Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds nice on camera. How's the blowback and what ammo were you using?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:
Sounds nice on camera. How's the blowback and what ammo were you using?
View Quote
The blowback was noticeable but not too terrible. The supers were mostly Winchester white box and the subs were homemade 147’s over 3.5 grains of titegroup. I assume this is normal as well? Came out of the booster end of my can.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MSUbulldog21:

I assume this is normal as well? Came out of the booster end of my can.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/259822/97DAEA8C-034E-4722-94FE-40F5C416D41C_jpe-1287866.JPG
View Quote
Sometimes carbon deposits,  bits of lead and even small pieces of bullet jacket end up loose in the can, even though there's been no contact with baffles or end cap.

Same stuff you'll find in a pile after sweeping an indoor range (well, not so much the carbon chunks), but trapped in the can instead of all over the floor.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#10]
My sub-load is 147 over 3.6 grn Titegroup. Prior to that I was using Accurate #5 and the blowback from my Octane 45 on a G19 was like a mini face sand blaster.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
That's good to know, thanks!

Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
I thought about printing my dog’s paws on the card to see if they would catch it.  But reality set in and I have money invested in this project.  
View Quote
I hear those guys already have a thing about dogs, might not be a great idea.

@MSUbulldog21 - Can sounds great!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#12]
This is garnering my interest, and it seems like ECCO does some great work.

But I can’t find a website that I can really figure out anywhere.

Is there somewhere that I can look through what options he offers, and pricing so I can figure out what I want to do and start saving?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SemperMO:
This is garnering my interest, and it seems like ECCO does some great work.

But I can’t find a website that I can really figure out anywhere.

Is there somewhere that I can look through what options he offers, and pricing so I can figure out what I want to do and start saving?
View Quote
This is the link to form1suppressorboards with all that info (account required), if it's OK with ECCO I'll copy/paste the info over to here so that it won't be behind a login screen for others to view. I won't do that until Nick chimes in though...

https://form1suppressor.boards.net/thread/4080/ecco-services-pricing
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Posting this here for everyone that doesn’t do Facebook:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn, that’s not good.  I might send him a case of safety glasses! One pair to keep everywhere!
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Family is everything,  they definitely should be every person's first priority.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Would a recore that involves modifying a tube to a modular design be considered custom work?
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AR_DairyFarmer:
Would a recore that involves modifying a tube to a modular design be considered custom work?
View Quote
Well, everything I do is custom work.

If you're asking if it can be done, the answer is yes, I can cut the tube at some point and make a coupler as long as it won't interfere with engraving, provided you didn't submit any descriptions or drawings to the contrary with your F1.  It must retain the original F1 length in full configuration.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Posting this here for everyone that doesn’t do Facebook:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/259822/63084723-2D35-4DC8-8F4F-5078DD92AEF9_jpe-1295919.JPG
View Quote
At least now I know why I did not hear back from him on a custom item. A man has to know his limitations and I am glad he recognizes his so he does not wind up like DM.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By CTM1:

At least now I know why I did not hear back from him on a custom item. A man has to know his limitations and I am glad he recognizes his so he does not wind up like DM.
View Quote
If you didn't receive any response, your message just got lost in the shuffle at some point.   I apologize for that, I try to respond to everyone quickly even if I can't help them at that moment.

Let me get caught up a bit and I'll start taking on parts orders again. Hopefully be there by end of this month.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Why are the tube kits called solvent traps and not just 80% suppressors or Form 1 supressor kits ?
Not using as some sort of workaround.
Im sure this has been answered a thousand times. So Im am sorry in advance.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By networkguru:
Why are the tube kits called solvent traps and not just 80% suppressors or Form 1 supressor kits ?
View Quote
You cannot legally possess parts that are exclusively for a suppressor without a stamp, even a single baffle or wipe.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 12:51:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Kharn:
You cannot legally possess parts that are exclusively for a suppressor without a stamp, even a single baffle or wipe.

Kharn
View All Quotes

Kharn
So if I buy this thread adapter, I am in violation?
https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/hansohn-brothers/accessories/mounts-and-pistons/hansohn-titanium-direct-thread-adapter/

Maybe I should just file a form 1 before I buy anything?
Im not joking. Im being serious.
Pay $200 and build it whenever.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#25]
OP, those parts look awesome.  I love quality machining...
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#26]
https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/hansohn-brothers/accessories/mounts-and-pistons/hansohn-titanium-direct-thread-adapter/

View All Quotes

Kharn

Adapters, mounts, muzzle devices are all fine. Un-drilled baffles are fine. Un-drilled end caps are fine. Don’t over think it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Adapters, mounts, muzzle devices are all fine. Un-drilled baffles are fine. Un-drilled end caps are fine. Don't over think it.
View Quote
Thanks for the input.
So at what stage in the process do you think is best to file the form 1?
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Thanks for the input.
So at what stage in the process do you think is best to file the form 1?
View Quote
I had my tube and end caps and Griffin adapter in hand just to get an accurate measurement.  Thinking back, info was available and I could have just submitted earlier.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Adapters, mounts, muzzle devices are all fine. Un-drilled baffles are fine. Un-drilled end caps are fine. Don’t over think it.
View All Quotes

Kharn

Bingo.

US v Thompson-Center Arms was a US Supreme Court case from back in the 90s, but it came down to the Court telling the ATF that if you had a legal use for all the parts in your possession, even if an illegal use could also be surmised, the legal use must be assumed. TC was selling a kit that contained a short barrel, a pistol grip, a long barrel, a rifle stock, and a Contender frame, with the stock engraved with a warning to not use it with the short barrel, ATF objected, so they registered it as an SBR and sued to get their $200 back as it wasn't legally an SBR.  The ruling is here, and a good quote:
Two courts to our knowledge have dealt in some way with claims that when a [non-NFA] gun other than a [NFA] firearm was placed together with a further part or parts that would have no use in association with the gun except to convert it into a firearm, a firearm was produced. See US v Kokin (carbine together with all parts necessary to convert it into a machine gun is a machine gun); see also US v Zeidman (pistol and attachable shoulder stock found "in different drawers of the same dresser" constitute a short-barreled rifle) Here it is true, of course, that some of the parts could be used without ever assembling a firearm, but the likelihood of that is belied by the utter uselessness of placing the converting parts with the others except for just such a conversion. Where the evidence in a given case supports a finding of such uselessness, the case falls within the fair intendment of "otherwise producing a firearm."

Here, however, we are not dealing with an aggregation of parts that can serve no useful prupose except the assembly of a firearm, or with an aggregation having no ostensible utility except to convert a gun into such a weapon.
Without a suppressor, you don't have a use for baffles or bored end caps, but you do have a use for a solvent trap tube, threaded end caps, solid end caps, storage cups, etc.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#31]

ASAP.

Decide on a caliber and length, and file it. If the length changes due to material availability, just notify the ATF.
View Quote
@BigWaylon any more detail on this? How do I notify the ATF and do they acknowledge it? Can I go shorter and longer? What about caliber?

Also what’s the timeframe from stamp approval? Can I wait a few years...?
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Without a suppressor, you don't have a use for baffles or bored end caps, but you do have a use for a solvent trap tube, threaded end caps, solid end caps, storage cups, etc.
View Quote
I think ATF has ruled you don’t need extras for a constructed suppressor. I figure on keeping an unbuilt but approved Form1 around to cover this case...
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#34]

You can send a letter. Not sure if they’ll take an email.

A lot of people thing you can only make it shorter, but that’s based on a repair Q&A. I have a copy of an email somewhere but can’t find it right now, where the Director said the length on the Form 1 is your best guess. If it ends up being longer or shorter you can let them know.

I think somebody here did the same thing with caliber, but can’t remember.

There’s no timeline I know of. But you can ask for a refund up to three years after you paid the tax, if you never get around to making it.
View Quote
Thanks - maybe my best bet is to put in an Ask the Experts or whatever and see what they say.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By rsolomon:
Thanks - maybe my best bet is to put in an Ask the Experts or whatever and see what they say.
View Quote
No need, you're here, now.

You can amend length (longer or shorter) and caliber. I've done both.
They accept it by email, but you must sign it in ink.

Make it stupid simple, don't go rambling on.

Dear ATF,

I'd like to amend the length, of an unbuilt silencer, on an approved Form 1.

Control No. 2019652325

Date of Approval 11/14/2019

Length to be amended to 9"

Thank you,

Mr. Jon Hancock

-sign here in ink-
You can scan and email, fax, or snail mail.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By User55645:

No need, you're here, now.

You can amend length (longer or shorter) and caliber. I've done both.
They accept it by email, but you must sign it in ink.

Make it stupid simple, don't go rambling on.

Dear ATF,

I'd like to amend the length, of an unbuilt silencer, on an approved Form 1.

Control No. 2019652325

Date of Approval 11/14/2019

Length to be amended to 9"

Thank you,

Mr. Jon Hancock

-sign here in ink-
You can scan and email, fax, or snail mail.
View Quote
Thanks!!!

Do you get anything back? I'm mildly concerned that I'll have a Form1 with length 8" and a can with length 10" … do you just keep the amendment form with the Form1? What email address?  TIA!!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Sixtysixdeuce:

Well, everything I do is custom work.

If you're asking if it can be done, the answer is yes, I can cut the tube at some point and make a coupler as long as it won't interfere with engraving, provided you didn't submit any descriptions or drawings to the contrary with your F1.  It must retain the original F1 length in full configuration.
View Quote
I was referring the announcement that you were suspending custom work and parts orders, but would continue with recores and mount alterations.

To rephrase the question, would you still accept such a request as recore work?
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By rsolomon:

Thanks!!!

Do you get anything back? I'm mildly concerned that I'll have a Form1 with length 8" and a can with length 10" … do you just keep the amendment form with the Form1? What email address?  TIA!!!!
View Quote
Yes. Usually 7-10 days later, you'll get an acknowledgement letter.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#40]
The man never ceases to amaze me...

Oddly enough they fit into a buffer tube nicely:

Might make a neat backpacking rig with a law folder and 22 conversion kit
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#41]
https://i.imgur.com/VuF9nZL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dlpn9jm.jpg

View Quote
Now that’s convenient. Great idea!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By chargerdude70:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chargerdude70:
https://i.imgur.com/VuF9nZL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dlpn9jm.jpg

These are too long, but his 3” kits... not sure what diameter tube he uses on those. Might be too big.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#43]
It never ceases to amaze me how impatient people are. Did I miss my can while shooting yesterday? Yep. But I know it'll be well worth the wait time, and I'm good with that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#44]
It never ceases to amaze me how impatient people are. Did I miss my can while shooting yesterday? Yep. But I know it'll be well worth the wait time, and I'm good with that.
View Quote

Cool story bro.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Cool story bro.
View Quote

I was simply referring to your post above about ECCO's lead times.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Cool story bro.

My apologies, I jumped the gun and thought you were referring to Form 1 cans in general and their quick wait time as opposed to F4 cans. I’ve had quite a few “discussions” lately regarding F1 vs F4 and the supposed lack of quality with home made cans.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#47]
I’m down to a race now between my Form 1 job Nick is doing or my GSL Phoenix stamp showing up. [insert Oak Island Narrator voice]   Will Nick finish and return first? Or will the ATF get my Form 4 that is approved mailed to my FFL first?  Or will the governor of SC shut us down so I can’t drive 85 miles to go pick it up first?  
Could. It. Be??

About to have two silencers show up and now I don’t want to burn ammo......
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#48]
I’m down to a race now between my Form 1 job Nick is doing or my GSL Phoenix stamp showing up. [insert Oak Island Narrator voice]   Will Nick finish and return first? Or will the ATF get my Form 4 that is approved mailed to my FFL first?  Or will the governor of SC shut us down so I can’t drive 85 miles to go pick it up first?  
Could. It. Be??

View Quote

I have to mail one out to Nick tomorrow plus I’m at 321 days on a dead air ghost. I’m getting close to having this F4 approved and am wondering if ATF will be shutting down along with the post office
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Could. It. Be??

View Quote

Amen to this brother. I purchased 2000 rds of S&B subs to break in my SP5 just before the panic and now I'm torn between hanging onto them or quadrupling my money. I got them from my FFL at a real great price.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#50]

I have to mail one out to Nick tomorrow plus I’m at 321 days on a dead air ghost. I’m getting close to having this F4 approved and am wondering if ATF will be shutting down along with the post office
View Quote

No wonder no one else can get anything done, you have Nick tied up with all your projects....
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top