BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 120
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:53:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HALFNATTYGAINZ:

My apologies. I had a ton of questions of form 1 cans. Googled it but couldnt find anything. I'll be more careful next time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shawnson:
Forgive my n00biness. But you can efile a form 1 for a suppressor? Is there a guide anywhere I could find?
Thanks

No offense dude but... Seriously?

You asked that question in a 118 page thread about nothing but building form 1 suppressors.

Yes you can E File for a form 1 can. There is a step by step visual guide stickied to the top of this sub form. Or you could google e file visual guide.

Plenty of people here willing to help but you have to take a little initiative.

My apologies. I had a ton of questions of form 1 cans. Googled it but couldnt find anything. I'll be more careful next time.

No reason to be sorry. I was really just giving ya shit. There is a ton of information here and over on the form 1 forum. Read, learn and ask questions. Your first post was just a bit comical. No hard feeling.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Page numbering bump.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes
Forgive my n00biness. But you can efile a form 1 for a suppressor? Is there a guide anywhere I could find?
Thanks

You asked that question in a 118 page thread about nothing but building form 1 suppressors.

Yes you can E File for a form 1 can. There is a step by step visual guide stickied to the top of this sub form. Or you could google e file visual guide.

A LOT of people don't know you can legally register ANY NFA weapon.  And what you can and can't do with eForms is even more mysterious.  Google is often your best friend in this sort of thing, but obviously not in this case, at least for the way you searched; sometimes it's very important to get just the right search terms.  I would not have known how to go about it without asking here, but I asked for details in the eFile guide thread.

This is yet another habit-forming hobby.  Welcome to yet another sickness!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:37:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dolor] [#4]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

A LOT of people don't know you can legally register ANY NFA weapon.  And what you can and can't do with eForms is even more mysterious.  Google is often your best friend in this sort of thing, but obviously not in this case, at least for the way you searched; sometimes it's very important to get just the right search terms.  I would not have known how to go about it without asking here, but I asked for details in the eFile guide thread.

View All Quotes
Thanks

Submitted my first stamp. I have plans for about 3 more too. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes
Thanks

I started with 1 last year. I just got a batch of 4 approved on Monday. Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]

I started with 1 last year. I just got a batch of 4 approved on Monday. Welcome to the club.
View Quote

Thanks! I'm looking forward to this.
I'm planning to use a Ti tube and caps. Since it will be mainly a pistol can I'm thinking to use a "B" sized tube and stuff it full formed freeze plugs. However it would also be cool to be able to use this as a rifle can too. Similar to the SiCo Hybrid. I'm not sure what material would make the best baffles though, or if it is even at all possible. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:49:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dolor] [#7]

I'm planning to use a Ti tube and caps. Since it will be mainly a pistol can I'm thinking to use a "B" sized tube and stuff it full formed freeze plugs. However it would also be cool to be able to use this as a rifle can too. Similar to the SiCo Hybrid. I'm not sure what material would make the best baffles though, or if it is even at all possible. Thoughts?
View All Quotes

Or possibly even do the first bit titanium cones or 17-4  and the rest would be stuff full of freeze plugs.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The B tube is heavy with limited volume.  It's pretty much the worst tube available for a suppressor.  If you're going to get a cone or two, might as well just get all cones.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
The B tube is heavy with limited volume.  It's pretty much the worst tube available for a suppressor. If you're going to get a cone or two, might as well just get all cones.
View Quote

Interesting, why is this?
Also would a "D" tube be better?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes
The B tube is heavy with limited volume.  It's pretty much the worst tube available for a suppressor. If you're going to get a cone or two, might as well just get all cones.

Higher quality, lasts longer than freeze plugs, lighter, and subjectively works better.

No, not really.  It will give you more volume, but it's still unnecessarily thick and heavy.  And it's too thick to work with suppressor sights.  You can get the B tube turned down pretty aggressively, about 1.26" or so and that will lose a lot of weight.  You won't gain any volume, but at least you won't have a pistol can that weighs as much as most commercial rifle cans.  There are a few other options for ready made stuff, or you can buy raw materials from titanium Joe and onlinemetals and have a local machine shop make you stuff that will compare with commercial cans.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:00:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ATC] [#11]
I haven't kept up with this thread since it was in the teen pages.  I ordered everything, but let it sit since then.  I just got around to getting back to working on it....so forgive me if this has been posted earlier:

If you need spacer material (tube), onlinemetals.com has 1.375x0.058 aluminum tube (6061-T6) on sale (overstock) for $14.87 for 4 feet of it.  4 feet should build many, many cans...

Tube

ETA:
Code "SDD6B" knocks $5 off shipping
Coke "BUYNOW" knocks 5% off your order
They can not be combined.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:07:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dirtyone04] [#12]
Got my stamp and stuff all together, but..............

Can is a 9" SDTA Ti with steel thread and Aluminum end cap.
Filled with 11 formed FP's, and all holes drilled on press to correct size for .308 (over sized, of course, but forget bit size at the moment.)
Barrel is 8" Ballistic Advantage Hanson, with SDTA brake using Griffin shims.
Ammo is hand loaded 150gr Hornady Match using Lil' Gun Powder and new brass.
All shots fired indoors at 25 yards, off hand with PA Advanced Micro Dot. Dot was on tight, as per spec.

This photo shows a 5 shot group without can (L) and 5 shot group with can (R) (circled in red)
We are talking about 6" drop and 6" right shift.
No baffle or end cap strikes,

Next,
Using same can, and attached to a BCM 14.5" upper with pinned SDTA break and Griffin Shims:
Hand loaded 55 gr Hornady FMJBT with Tac Powder.
5 shot without can, 5 shot w/ can and 15 shots w/ can.

Sup with this thing?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dirtyone04:

Filled with 11 formed FP's, and all holes drilled on press to correct size for .308 (over sized, of course, but forget bit size at the moment.)
All shots fired indoors at 25 yards, off hand with PA Advanced Micro Dot. Dot was on tight, as per spec.

This photo shows a 5 shot group without can (L) and 5 shot group with can (R) (circled in red)
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/Richard_Pesce/What%20happened_zpsb3oyib42.jpg

Next,
Using same can, and attached to a BCM 14.5" upper with pinned SDTA break and Griffin Shims:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/Richard_Pesce/IMG_0004_zpsbmcsvvkr.jpg

Sup with this thing?
View Quote

You really need to shoot via a rest to get a tight group to start. I would look down the bore to eyeball alignment. An alignment rod would be better.   Something is very wrong to have a shift like that at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By benzo:

You really need to shoot via a rest to get a tight group to start. I would look down the bore to eyeball alignment. An alignment rod would be better.   Something is very wrong to have a shift like that at 25 yards.
View All Quotes

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/Richard_Pesce/What%20happened_zpsb3oyib42.jpg

Next,

Sup with this thing?

I have a rod that I made to check alignment.
It's not specifically made to to the barrel, but close.
It makes no contact with the end cap, but close at one point.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Quick question: What should I put down for the overall length of my suppressor with
* SDTA 7.5" D-sized carbon steel tube
* Carbon steel endcap
* Ti thread protector

Will I be safe to submit my form 1 with an OAL of 8"?
View Quote

I'd go with 8.125-8.25" my SDTA 7.6 Ti is 8.1
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quick question: What should I put down for the overall length of my suppressor with
* Carbon steel endcap
* Ti thread protector

View Quote

As for OAL my suggestion is to build the can as you want it built and what ever the OAL ends up being is where it ends up. Just send in an amendment to your form once you are done building. The ATF has made it clear that the OAL on the original form is a best estimation and the build can end up longer as long as you notify them when it is done. Once it is built it can never go longer but can go shorter if required for repairs.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Next,

Sup with this thing?

If it is close at one point, then that would be whats causing the poi shift. Need to figure out what it is thats causing the rod to get close to the end cap.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Lay:

If it is close at one point, then that would be whats causing the poi shift. Need to figure out what it is thats causing the rod to get close to the end cap.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lay:

Next,

Sup with this thing?

Just for goofs, I removed the shim and threaded the break directly to the barrel threads and snugged it down.
This seems to have aligned it up correctly.
However, having a child and spring clean-up around the yard has limited my ability to assess accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:19:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leg-Shot] [#20]
My first suppressor build was primarily for my SBR AR-10 with 10.5" BBl (quite impressed, totally hearing safe), and was done with freeze plugs coned to 60 degrees & using a 9.5" SDTA tube.

I'm still thinking of building dedicated suppressors for both my upcoming 300 BLK and 5.56 SBR builds (300 will have an 11.5" barrel, haven't decided between 10.5 or 11.5 for the 556: all input will be considered and greatly appreciated)

I'd like to get your suggestions on what length Ti tube to use for the 300 (most likely still going to go with the 60 degree coned freeze plugs for this and the 5.56) as well as for what material & length for the 5.56.  Keep in mind, I'd like to make them as quiet as possible, yet minimize on the weight and length (for the 300, I'm thinking of doing a FF quad rail the entire length of the barrel & suppressor, if there's even one that is long enough)

I'm assuming that due to pressures, I'll NOT want to use "c" size tubes with either of these

ty in advance

Jeffro

additionally, when I did my 308 build, I used the "odd size" metric drill (don't quote me, but I believe it was along the lines of a 9mm: but that could be a bad memory chip on my part): with center drilling & then coning, is that basically what I'll have to deal with for the 5.56?
any simpler way to get it done & still stay in the neighborhood of a .24 hole?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:57:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:05:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePitt] [#22]
My 300blk's POI shift is similar to that with a SiCo Omega.  I just sighted it for suppressed shooting only.  I dont think I've ever shot it unsuppressed except during testing anyway.  My 556 POI shift is negligible enough for me.  I think its got something to do with the bullets velocity because 300blk subs were a lot worse then 300blk supers.

Next,

Sup with this thing?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:55:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

I know which one of those I'm hoping to see!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:
Originally Posted By Leg-Shot:
...haven't decided between 1.5 or 11.5 for the 556: all input will be considered and greatly appreciated

I know which one of those I'm hoping to see!!

proof reading is your friend: read what I mean, not what I write...obviously, it was meant to be 10.5, NOT 1.5
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#26]
So I've been thinking (usually doesn't work out well) and reading (completely overwhelmed)...

How easy (if it's possible) would it be to build a Form 1 suppressor from parts you could buy at Home Depot or the local auto parts store? No online orders, just walk in and walk out. I would guess that you could come up with a way to build the ugliest, heaviest rimfire can ever made, but could you cobble together something that handles 5.56 or .308? Just to start with I'm having trouble imagining a simple way to thread onto a barrel, and finding a tube that could handle the centerfire pressure.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By flcroc:

So I've been thinking (usually doesn't work out well) and reading (completely overwhelmed)...

How easy (if it's possible) would it be to build a Form 1 suppressor from parts you could buy at Home Depot or the local auto parts store? No online orders, just walk in and walk out. I would guess that you could come up with a way to build the ugliest, heaviest rimfire can ever made, but could you cobble together something that handles 5.56 or .308? Just to start with I'm having trouble imagining a simple way to thread onto a barrel, and finding a tube that could handle the centerfire pressure.
View Quote
You could do it.  The biggest problem would be finding a way to mount it to the barrel, everything else is easy enough although it would be extremely utilitarian.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#28]
You could do it.  The biggest problem would be finding a way to mount it to the barrel, everything else is easy enough although it would be extremely utilitarian.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flcroc:

I think I could come up with a way to mount it using a flash hider, but you're being nice about it looking "utilitarian".
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#29]
bump for knowledge
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Are there any NATO/A2 FH adapters?
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By garn:

Are there any NATO/A2 FH adapters?
View Quote
ZMachine has a Griffin taper adapter that fits behind the muzzle device of your choice.  The Griffin Optimus adapters can be modified slightly to fit the DM 1.375" tube.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:01:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Slimjim] [#32]
Bump to save from archives. Last night I sprayed my baffles with grill paint and baked them to be more resistant to gunpowder residue.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Slimjim:
Bump to save from archives. Last night I sprayed my baffles with grill paint and baked them to be more resistant to gunpowder residue.
View Quote

Good bump!

If we are lucky enough to get HPA passed this will be a hot thread.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Can someone update me as to a couple of good sources for a vsr for the d cell sdtac tube? Need one for the first baffle/blast chamber.
Also is everyone still in agreement that it is OK to engrave the end cap? I am having trouble sourcing someone who can engrave my titanium tube.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Adding to reply list to find easier.
Am on page 11 of 119 now. 
Saw the recommended Form 1 forum and registered there now. 
Scheduled an extra day on my 2nd job to pay for the tax stamp.

Guess this is the theme song for this thread.  
Disturbed - down with the sickness
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#37]
So I've got my tubes and measured them.

What should be the clearance between the tube ID and the freeze plug/VSR OD?

My .22 aluminum tube measures 26.4mm (1.039”) ID.

My .30 titanium tube measures 34.44 mm (1.356”) ID.

I'd think you wouldn't want them to be loose in there because they could shift and cause a baffle strike. But you don't want them so tight you can't get them out, either.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#38]
What's your guys' opinion on aluminum cups vs formed freeze plugs as far as performance goes?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#39]
* Carbon steel endcap
* Ti thread protector

View Quote
Also, if the dimensions are off, you can always amend during the initial build.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:49:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BGENE] [#40]
Originally Posted By Rem700PSS:
What's your guys' opinion on aluminum cups vs formed freeze plugs as far as performance goes?
View Quote

NVM
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#41]
still alive
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Form 1 was approved now I need components. My first two I used SD tactical but they don't have parts listed anymore. Yay ATF. Who are the go to people now for tubes etc?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By subvet707:
Form 1 was approved now I need components. My first two I used SD tactical but they don't have parts listed anymore. Yay ATF. Who are the go to people now for tubes etc?
View Quote
Send a copy of your Form 1 to SD Tactical, and they will sell you components.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
Ok thanks
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Ok thanks
View All Quotes

Ok thanks
I could swear I read somewhere that they were NOT going to do this.  I'm in a similar situation as far as the tubs and end caps go.  subvet 707, will you let us know how this goes?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By corruptor:
I could swear I read somewhere that they were NOT going to do this.  I'm in a similar situation as far as the tubs and end caps go.  subvet 707, will you let us know how this goes?
View All Quotes

Ok thanks
I'm interested in this too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By JAD762:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JAD762:

Ok thanks
So I e mailed them shortly after posting here asking if I could purchase parts with an approved form 1 and haven't had a response back. I'm going to assume that means no.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#48]
So I e mailed them shortly after posting here asking if I could purchase parts with an approved form 1 and haven't had a response back. I'm going to assume that means no.
View Quote
Me, too. I bought parts elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By the_naked_prophet:

View Quote
Where?  I have been out of the form 1 game since P41. It's time to play again. Which venders are we using now?
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SteelSC:
Where?  I have been out of the form 1 game since P41. It's time to play again. Which venders are we using now?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteelSC:
Originally Posted By the_naked_prophet:

Diversified Machine, Super Precision Concepts, and ZMachine are my go tos.
Page / 120
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top