I believe the 99 was the Deerfield?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

What is the 99?

I believe the 99 was the Deerfield?

It was indeed. I never see them mentioned by model number with them being so rare. One in 500 would be pretty interesting but it would have to be chonky.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Good point on the .375 and .416s - they probably don't want the others eating into their sales.  I am actually surprised the 375 Ruger hasn't caught on more because in addition to being able to be chambered in a long action, it also kicks the 375 H&H's ass in terms of performance.

And yeah I feel for you lefties.  I don't think Winchester or CZ chambered their safari guns in LH calibers, either?  I know Weatherby has done some of their bigger chambered guns in left handed models, but they're quite a bit more expensive if you're going for the 416 or 460 Weatherbys, plus you don't have a CRF action if that's something you want.  Does Sako to LH chamberings?  I know the Brown Bear and Kodiak come in safari calibers, but not sure if they do LHs?  They are hybrid CRF, though.
View Quote

From what I've seen, the .375 Ruger has actually developed a bit of a following.

CZ used to do LH safari rifles, but only in .375 H&H, none of the big boys.  Oddly, Numrich has LH Winchester Safari stocks available, but I've never seen a complete rifle.  I'm tempted to buy one and then keep an eye open for a lefty model 70 for a rebarrel.  Montana used to make lefty rifles in .458, but they were really light and not what I was looking for in terms of features.  I could always get a #1, but the idea of a single shot in a dangerous game caliber really doesn't do it for me either.  Until I stumble into a lefty .458 that I like I'll just make do with my .375 Rugers.

Never thought it would happen, but I may be going to Africa in a few years.  It won't be for dangerous game though, so I'll be taking a .300 or .375.  Which one depends on what I decide to hunt.  Definitely no use for a .458 for anything I'd hunt there.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a future Pistol caliber Lever Action rifle in .30 Carbine?
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:33:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By raf:
How about a future Pistol caliber Lever Action rifle in .30 Carbine?
View Quote

The thought has a merit. The bullets are always flat-nosed in 30SC, so they are compatible with tube magazines. Could really be something sweet, if made with a good quality.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WI-2021:

From what I've seen, the .375 Ruger has actually developed a bit of a following.

CZ used to do LH safari rifles, but only in .375 H&H, none of the big boys.  Oddly, Numrich has LH Winchester Safari stocks available, but I've never seen a complete rifle.  I'm tempted to buy one and then keep an eye open for a lefty model 70 for a rebarrel.  Montana used to make lefty rifles in .458, but they were really light and not what I was looking for in terms of features.  I could always get a #1, but the idea of a single shot in a dangerous game caliber really doesn't do it for me either.  Until I stumble into a lefty .458 that I like I'll just make do with my .375 Rugers.

Never thought it would happen, but I may be going to Africa in a few years.  It won't be for dangerous game though, so I'll be taking a .300 or .375.  Which one depends on what I decide to hunt.  Definitely no use for a .458 for anything I'd hunt there.
View Quote

I had a No. 1 in 416 Rem Mag and 458 Lott.  They're fun guns if you want a big safari caliber just to show off, but I agree that I wouldn't want one for dangerous game.  I could reload them fast but not as fast as a bolt.  The Lott in the No. 1 also had brutal recoil, like way worse than my CZ 550 in 458 Lott.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#6]

I had a No. 1 in 416 Rem Mag and 458 Lott.  They're fun guns if you want a big safari caliber just to show off, but I agree that I wouldn't want one for dangerous game.  I could reload them fast but not as fast as a bolt.  The Lott in the No. 1 also had brutal recoil, like way worse than my CZ 550 in 458 Lott.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WI-2021:

I've heard that the No. 1's tend to be big kickers in the larger calibers, which is another reason I've avoided buying one.  My .375's (an African and an Alaskan, both pre-muzzle brake) aren't too bad in the recoil department, but any .458 will probably be a pretty significant step up, so I'd prefer to avoid models that are known to kick like mules.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:20:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Papposilenus] [#7]
I'd love either a PC Carbine or Mini in 357.  10 round mags would be fine and an adjustable gas block if I'm wishing

OR

A LCRx with a 3" barrel in 9mm
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Papposilenus:
I'd love either a PC Carbine or Mini in 357.  10 round mags would be fine and an adjustable gas block if I'm wishing
View Quote

Either one with a  proprietary Ruger magazine and include a mag adapter for Desert Eagle mags.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Have just begun to look into .45 ACP carbines, but initial research seems to show some viable alternatives out there.

If Ruger won't make what I want, then my money will go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By raf:
Have just begun to look into .45 ACP carbines, but initial research seems to show some viable alternatives out there.

If Ruger won't make what I want, then my money will go elsewhere.
View Quote

I would buy a Glock mag .45acp PC Carbine in a heartbeat if Ruger would make it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jcarrol:
P-94, P-95, P-97, and chamber the P-90 in 10mm

Say what you will those guns are reliable and durable and were affordable.
View Quote

I could get on board
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#12]
PC carbine 45acp
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:24:45 AM EDT
[#13]
The "micro-14/m57 carbine" a 10/22 form factor rifle in 5.7x28 that takes their 57 handgun mags.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DvlDog:
I would like to see Ruger expand the Hawkeye African line into non-safari calibers. Those rifles feel nearly perfect to me. Quick to the shoulder and they point and swing like a premium bird gun. I have one in .223 from a special run they did. They would be remarkable in .308 or 6.5C
View Quote

The Hawkeye African is a fantastic rifle.  I've got both a 338 win mag and 6.5x55.  I'd like to see expanded caliber selection, but really, just increased production of the Hawkeye line.  They're impossible to find.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
PC carbine 45acp
View Quote
And .30 Carbine as well!
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top