Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2010 3:35:13 PM EDT
I'm not a machinist, nor did I stay at a holiday inn express.
I took every machining course in highschool, and completed a year of an apprenticeship. Afterwards, I never pursued it.

I've amassed a few of the cheap chinese tools over the years, and put them to use when bored this weekend.
$10 bucks of materials, and around 6 hours of time.

4340 short bought for cheap

a little bit off the top here

get the little 9x20 chugging with some drilling and boring

What the hell is it for?
it coincidentally fits on one of these

and one of these

drilling the old fashioned way- no DRO or CNC (or what 2 hours of headscratching and work looks like)

a little bit more sawing

It seems to fit in one of these.

I made another widget to fit previous doodad, no pictures cause I was in a hurry. Here's what it looks like so far.

tune in next time, for "how I'll spend countless hours making $50 of picatinny rails."
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty cool.

I'd like to make something for fun.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#2]
How did you index for the holes on the barrel nut?
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How did you index for the holes on the barrel nut?

measured the distance between holes on an existing barrel nut, plugged it into an online bolt hole calculator, used a DTI to center the spindle, and went to town moving x and y for each hole.

I think a DRO is on the list of things to get before a rotab. Moving the table using dials is a pita, and I never fully trust it with the 5 or so thou of slop.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#5]
And so we come to my next project I just did.

What is it?
edit- besides a messy desk
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice job  What are the threads in the YHM rails? And an AR receiver?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice job  What are the threads in the YHM rails? And an AR receiver?

iirc the thread for the rail was around 1.840" and it was 30tpi (Had a hell of a time finding proper gearing for my baby lathe)

The receiver itself is 1 1/4"-18tpi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top