BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Martlet:

Now I need to start shopping for a dash cam.  I see far too much stuff not to have one.

This one is interesting, but pricey.

https://owlcam.com
View Quote
That does look interesting.  The lack of a rear mounted camera option is a hurdle.  The inside camera could be useful for rideshare types, or parents that want to keep tabs on their teen drivers, but I don't see the need for myself really.  But the cloud recording and app integration is a nice feature.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I wanted to contribute to this thread after reading and selecting my own dash cam for the wife and my car.  I was looking for an under $100.00 cam that would still get the job done. After reading through this posts, i went with:

TOGUARD DASH CAM w/ WIFI

I ordered two and they arrived with prime in a couple days.  I was excited and went to work installing them.  The first one went very smooth. Very simple install. The app is a tad funky, but got it sorted out and working.

I tucked mine up behind the rear view mirror.  Dont even notice its there while driving.

Good to go!  I snapped a screen shot while out and about...

As I went to install the wifes cam, I opened the box up and had a slight issue....   It would appear the camera seperated from the screen area. No wires broke, just the plastic itself.  Tried to rescrew it back into place, but no go.

I decided I didnt want to return it and used locktite super glue to bond the two parts.  WORKED WELL!

Both wife and my car are now equipped with dash cameras!   I paired them both with class 10 32gig micro sd cards. Set to loop record.  Screen saver turns the screen off after 1 min.  I DID leave the on and off chime just to give me a audio conformation its on and off.  I also set the auto g shock lock.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Drumbic:
I also set the auto g shock lock.
View Quote
Just remember to pull the card and review the videos once in a while or it will pile up locked videos of potholes and shorten your time to deletion for the rolling videos.

Most of the time, you can just go back and find a vid you want, rather than trying to lock one and keep it.... unless you spend a lot of time on the road.

It takes my 64gb card about three weeks to roll over.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Just remember to pull the card and review the videos once in a while or it will pile up locked videos of potholes and shorten your time to deletion for the rolling videos.

Most of the time, you can just go back and find a vid you want, rather than trying to lock one and keep it.... unless you spend a lot of time on the road.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Drumbic:
I also set the auto g shock lock.

Thanks for the heads up.  I figure I am gonna drive for a week and then tinker with the settings if i need to.. Depending on how many videos i get and how many get auto locked.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a new truck coming, and I am definitely putting a dash camera in it.

I just wonder why any of the big names (Sony, Nikon, Cannon, LG, Samsung, etc...) don't get in the game?  Seems like they could easily offer a quality product at a good price point.

I'm just sick and tired of all the China specials, with names I can't pronounce and review after review where it just stopped working after several weeks/months...
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Has anyone run a rear facing camera to the rear glass of a camper shell?   Was looking for that as an option but didn’t know if anything out there was compatible with that idea.  I’m not super worried about the wiring or running the cords if I have to, just wondered if any kits made it easier than others.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
DDPai Test here.

Change the quality to 1440 and watch full screen. The actual resolution is 1600 FYI.

I uh..forgot the audio was recording. Sorry for the little bit of singing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJClx95BxIs
View Quote
4 months later this camera is still going strong. I've had it in 110 degree heat too.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Wrote up a quick product overview on my new Yi 2.7k Ultra DVR, will be replacing my old Z-Edge Z3 (non-wifi).

http://www.vdmsr.com/2018/07/new-car-dvr-overview-yi-27k-ultra.html

Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:49:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#9]
Picked up a YI 2.7" Screen Full HD 1080P60 165 Wide Angle Dashboard Camera, Car DVR Vehicle Dash Cam with G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording, Grey on Amazon Prime Day. Comes with a stick on windshield mount, hate those so picked up the iSaddle CH02A Car Dash Dash Camera Mount Holder Vehicle Video Recorder Windshield & DashBoard Suction Mount Holder for Car DVR Camera GPS. Also went with the Sandisk Ultra 64GB Micro SDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter -  100MB/s U1 A1 - SDSQUAR-064G-GN6MA for use in the dash cam.

Dash cam: $31.49
Suction cup mount: $8.99
SD Card: $13.99

So far no problems with the Sandisk 64GB microSD card in this Yi dash cam in some quick and dirty testing. Real test will be a long distance drive I'm taking in a day or two.

This Yi dash cam misses some features like ability to set recording time. It's fixed at 3 minutes. And no ability to trigger recording while parked when car is impacted. Does have WiFi capability with the accompanying YI Dash Cam app for Android/iOS. One can download video clips from the dash cam to the mobile device using the app which is a major plus. There apparently is a small internal battery too which which is a turnoff to some. Records to MP4. Has what Yi calls ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance System), basically lane departure warning and collision avoidance warning. That feature seems to get mixed reviews, many turn it off. Does have audio recording as well. Dash cam came with firmware V-1.03.033-US which isn't listed (as far as I can tell) on the Yi support website. Their website currently lists Version : V-1.03.026.

Every now and then this dash cam is even cheaper than the Prime Day cost. Several SlickDeal threads on this dash cam too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:54:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OnlytheTip] [#10]
I just had the Blackvue 750S-2CH installed at The Dashcam Store in Austin. They did an awesome job. Here's a few photos, pardon the iPotato. I will never waste money on a cheap dash cam again. If your car is worth it to you, and you can afford a new gun, then you should invest in a good dash cam. Had I not had the radar detector, I could have used a rearview mirror powertap for the Blackvue. Since I ran the powertap from my rearview mirror to the radar detector, I had the Blackvue professionally installed (Install for the Blackvue was $199.99 for the dual camera's, I also added a $34.99 Polarizing filter). Because of the dot-matrix (Frit) rear strip, the rear camera had to be mounted lower. Because I added a front tint strip the front camera had to be mounted lower on the front as well.

http://www.blackvue.com/dr750s-2ch/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0759KGWGM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/MirrorTap-MTX-1010-RJ-11-Detector-Military/dp/B01I1XF4XU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1532054803&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=mirrortap+for+blackvue

Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Dro2 d by aukey. My son is looking into this is it good?
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#12]
My Rexing V1 finally died....well it may have been dead for a month. Was almost in a wreck and went to get the video off the sd card, but it apparently stopped recording over a month ago.

Can't bring up the menu to check settings so its time for a new one I suppose. Guess I'll start checking it more often to make sure its working normally.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:30:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#14]
Originally Posted By ATC:
I've got a new truck coming, and I am definitely putting a dash camera in it.

I just wonder why any of the big names (Sony, Nikon, Cannon, LG, Samsung, etc...) don't get in the game?  Seems like they could easily offer a quality product at a good price point.

I'm just sick and tired of all the China specials, with names I can't pronounce and review after review where it just stopped working after several weeks/months...
View Quote
As I've posted before in this thread, I'm running an old (by now) Garmin Dash Cam 20.  Amazon tells me I got it in February 2014 and I put it in my Peterbilt.

It's recorded well over 400,000 travel miles and it runs 24 hours a day.  It's still good to go.

You'd be well served by their newer models, I'm sure.

(Here it is below my half-a-million mile Garmin GPS.  Also barely visible in the bottom right hand corner is the company Smartdrive dash cam.  It's OBD linked and offers all kinds of cool telemetry.)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Is it possible to get a decent cam for under around $100? I keep seeing the A119 and Rexing V1 recommended, yet reviews on various sites state some stop working within 12-18 months.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sg1991:
Is it possible to get a decent cam for under around $100? I keep seeing the A119 and Rexing V1 recommended, yet reviews on various sites state some stop working within 12-18 months.
View Quote
If you don't consider those to be decent cameras, then no.

It's sort of a crapshoot - if you get a well made A119 or whatever, it will last for years.  If you get a shit one, it might crap out in 6 months.  But that's the game you play with chinese off brand manufacturing.  If you want normal US electronics level of reliability and service, you'll be spending a lot more than a C note.

My A119 has been working fine for 2 years now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By duhflushtech:

It's sort of a crapshoot - if you get a well made A119 or whatever, it will last for years.  If you get a shit one, it might crap out in 6 months.  But that's the game you play with chinese off brand manufacturing.  If you want normal US electronics level of reliability and service, you'll be spending a lot more than a C note.

View All Quotes

I apologize if it came across as me calling them bad cameras. Trying to find something budgety to put one in each of our cars, those 2 seem to fit the bill so far. I'm leaning more towards the A119 instead of the V1. Do you know if is there a difference between the spy tec and viofo a119 on Amazon, manufacturing wise?
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I apologize if it came across as me calling them bad cameras. Trying to find something budgety to put one in each of our cars, those 2 seem to fit the bill so far. I'm leaning more towards the A119 instead of the V1. Do you know if is there a difference between the spy tec and viofo a119 on Amazon, manufacturing wise?
View All Quotes

LOL don't worry, I'm not offended or anything; they are cheap cameras and they have the build quality to match.  The cameras by spytec and viofo are exactly the same, but IIRC spytec is based in the US so you'll get better customer service should you get a dud.

In the end, most of the budget cameras are all the same apart from the plastic shell.  They'll have the same chipset, the same lens, etc.  You might find some slight differences in the FOV or the software package but that's about it.  That said, the A119 is a higher res camera than the V1, so I'd go for that one (unless you get the UHD model of the V1, which is more expensive).  You'll have a better chance of getting things like license plates with a higher resolution.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#19]

LOL don't worry, I'm not offended or anything; they are cheap cameras and they have the build quality to match.  The cameras by spytec and viofo are exactly the same, but IIRC spytec is based in the US so you'll get better customer service should you get a dud.

In the end, most of the budget cameras are all the same apart from the plastic shell.  They'll have the same chipset, the same lens, etc.  You might find some slight differences in the FOV or the software package but that's about it.  That said, the A119 is a higher res camera than the V1, so I'd go for that one (unless you get the UHD model of the V1, which is more expensive).  You'll have a better chance of getting things like license plates with a higher resolution.
View Quote
This place is awesome, I appreciate the quick advice. Got 2 on the way.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#20]
With the Blackvue 750s, I don't see an option/way to add a viewing screen... anyone know if this is a possilbility, like with a cheap dedicated tablet or something?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Massdrop has the BlackVue 750 and 900 up now

BlackVue DR750S 2-Channel Dash Camera $279.99

BlackVue DR900S 2-Channel 4K Dash Cam $399.99

probably going to get the 750 for the wife's car
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:00:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dapzel] [#22]
May have been asked in this thread but you guys who have dual cameras and tinted windows.
How do you mount your cam? I thought I read some place you don't want to mount them to tinted windows.
I have my rear window and Front AS1 tinted. The cams I'm looking at all have the 3M adhesive tape on them.
read adhesive is ok, suction cup not recommened

Do you mount your rear camera in the center?
What about the front? Do you mount it in the center under the rear view mirror or slightly off to the right of it?

Right now I'm debated on the
Viofo A129 that's a dual setup
Viofo A119 V2 single cam
DDPAI mini 3 single cam

I like the DDPAI for the design, has an app but not really a fan of the app from the little bit I've seen of it.
The A129 would almost be a no brainer if the resolution was higher than 1080p. It has a screen and wifi so you can download to your phone or stream to your phone without having to take the SD card out
A119 has higher res but no wifi or rear cam
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Any great Black Friday deals on a decent camera?

I bought the FalconView for my wife, and it lasted only year and their customer service is non-responsive.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#24]
so in the begining the thread mentioned seperate dvrs and camera's, but I don't see any reall follow up with that.

I was wondering if there was a good one out there with decent camera's.

I was thinking of mounting seperate camera's like on a licence plate holder running to a dvr in the center of the car.
I have seen some trucker kits out there that even support 4 camera's. is there one of those recommended?

It looks like I would be spending around 500 for them. vs the 200 or so for one of the better front and back dash cams.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Some videos from my Street Guardian that were shot in 1080p.

I ordered another Street Guardian for my wife's Sienna.  Install was super easy with one of these cables.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 2:14:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I got a Cobra Dusl View dash cam for christmas.  Looks like one that Costco had, so that's good for warranty purposes.  I'll post some reviews once i get it installed and working.

Quick question, do y'all use suction cup mounts or the adhesive tape stuff?  Im in Az so summer temps are hot.  Thanks in advance.

Cobra Website
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
I was hit on the Autobahn last week, and my Blackvue recorded over the actual accident. It had everything from post-accident to pulling into the driveway. I have since swapped out the video card for something much, much larger.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SleeperShooter:
I got a Cobra Dusl View dash cam for christmas.  Looks like one that Costco had, so that's good for warranty purposes.  I'll post some reviews once i get it installed and working.

Quick question, do y'all use suction cup mounts or the adhesive tape stuff?  Im in Az so summer temps are hot.  Thanks in advance.

Cobra Website
View Quote
I hate suction cup mounts.  They seem to be fine than all of a sudden "BANG SPLAT!" and your GPS, dash cam, toll tag, radar detector, etc. comes crashing onto the dash, maybe slides around, and then falls onto the floorboard.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Is there yet a camera system where all the video files are encrypted on the SD card?

Purpose being to make it impossible for anyone to view the video files without the key.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TinLeg:
Is there yet a camera system where all the video files are encrypted on the SD card?

Purpose being to make it impossible for anyone to view the video files without the key.
View Quote
Nope.

The only way to do that is roll your own with a smart phone or a Pi or something.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 12:30:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#32]
Shitty upload quality...but I'm still happy with my DDPAI. Had an asshole almost hit me running a red.

Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jsuevo:
Massdrop has the BlackVue 750 and 900 up now

BlackVue DR750S 2-Channel Dash Camera $279.99

BlackVue DR900S 2-Channel 4K Dash Cam $399.99

probably going to get the 750 for the wife's car
View Quote
Has anyone tested a 4K dash cam? I have a Blackvue 450 that I like a lot. But it's still hard to see some license plates until you get fairly close. Does a 4K resolution sensor improve this? Or is it more of a lens thing?
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#35]
I currently have an A119 in my wife’s car and an A129 in mine. I really like the A129 because of the front and rear view and I also like that with the A129 you can control its settings with your phone.

The A119 has been in my wife’s windshield since late 2017 and just this week it stopped reading the memory card. I replaced the card and it still says no card, so it is time to claim it with my square trade 3 year warranty.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 12:16:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RED_5] [#36]
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:47:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#37]
Garmin has a new offering I am very interested in.

Garmin Dash Cam Mini

$129.99 MSRP from Garmin with a $34.99 optional parking mode hard-wire.  Set it and forget it.  Wifi-enabled and files are viewable through the mobile app, which will automatically sync multiple cameras.

I've had my Garmin Dash Cam 20 for nearly half a million miles, running 24/7 in the Peterbilt.  I think I might grab a couple of these for front and rear use in the F350.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I picked up one of these when it was on kickstarter awhile ago.  Got the GPS with lane departure warning.  I typically have the land departure off because it's annoying.  It's been a solid camera, though.  I love the voice commands so I can start a recording when I see something without fumbling.

70 MAI Pro
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#39]
$280 BLACKVUE DR750S 2-CHANNEL DASH CAMERA @drop.com formerly massdrop

Drop.com must login
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Anyone have experience with the Tesla style head units as a front end for vehicle cams?

Like this one?

I'm getting ready to wire up my 18' F-150.  Still thinking about my requirements, and wondering the usefulness of something like this to 1) display in the vehicle and 2) as part of an automatic upload / archive mechanism.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 1:47:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Teddydog] [#42]
I recently bought a Pormido rearview mirror mounted dash cam with 2nd rear camera.  So far it seems to we working well.  I wanted the added backup camera as my 2010 car did not come with one, or backup obstruction sensors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L1N4W4Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Things have sure come a long way since this thread was started in 2013!

Rob
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#43]
I installed a similar 10" Junsun unit in February and wonder why I didn't do it sooner.  The width of the rear view display is worth the price all by itself.  I can be backing out of a diagonal parking space and see behind me down the entire row now.   My SUV has a rear wiper that sweeps the camera view, so now, even in the rain I have a perfect, crystal clear view.  Running the rear wire was a learning experience, but not a big deal, it took about 15 minutes.

I did discover a little quirk on mine that may be common.  They have an internal battery or capacitor for engine off recording of impact motion.  If your car isn't keeping that charged up then the camera will shut down until it recharges.  I went on a 3+ week trip while my car sat at home. When I got back, my camera wouldn't stay on until I had driven it for about 10 minutes.  I assume that's all it took to get the internal power up to spec.  It could have also been that the car battery was below the camera threshold for operation, but I think the alternator should have given it the required voltage.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By d16man:
Anyone have recommendations on a good double sided tape?  Trying to run the power cable around the edge of the windshield and the tape that came with my unit (and the subsequent command hook sticky tape I used next) both fall off in the heat.
View Quote
The 3M tape that has come with my Blackvue cams has always done very well. Stays up in the windshield year after year.

https://www.blackvue.com/product/camera-mount-tape/

or

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 5/22/2019 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Garmin Dash Cam Mini, hardwire kit and 256gB MicroSD inbound for an install on my F-350.

I'll do a full write-up when it is installed. If it works as well as I expect based on my experience with the long-term Garmin Dash Cam 20 I'll get another one to install for the back.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ReSSurrected:
With the Blackvue 750s, I don't see an option/way to add a viewing screen... anyone know if this is a possilbility, like with a cheap dedicated tablet or something?
View Quote
I have a Blackvue 900S 2-ch. You're supposed to be able to use the Blackvue app to see live video. I haven't done this, but their product page describes this as a capability. I suppose you could get a cheap 7" Android or iPad Mini and connect that way.

I just pull the micro sd card out when I get home if there's something I want to view.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been happy with my Black Box B40-C.

Link Posted: 7/14/2019 9:01:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#50]
I have the front Garmin Dash Cam Mini up and running.  After testing it out I'm going to add the rear camera.  The Garmin App will automatically sync the feeds picture-in-picture with multiple cameras.

It is mounted in my F-350 just below the rear view mirror attachment point.  I have the hardwire kit running under the headliner and A-pillar down to the power taps (always on/switched) in the passenger kick panel.

Remember, YouTube video quality is significantly lower than the raw video off of the SD card. I also turned off the audio so y'all don't have to listen to my country music.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top