Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there a setup available that works as a dash cam, and can be quickly turned towards the side to record say an interaction with LEO during a traffic stop?  

I'm interested in recording front and rear with the bonus of what I described above.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 7:32:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#2]
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought the g1w-c (capacitor based version of the G1W) from foxoffer.com. It was $12 more expensive than the battery version, so I figured what the hell
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 1:18:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#4]
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 1:37:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 8:55:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BCV] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
Went ahead and ordered the Lukas. I'll give a report on it when I get it.
View Quote

I got rear ended last Sunday while stopped in traffic, the lady that hit me pushed me into the car in front of me, she was going about 40. Obviously my 3 month old truck was totaled, I really regret never setting up that dash cam in my truck. Fortunately she was honest about texting and driving and me being completely stopped, therefore I am not liable for the car I was pushed into. Otherwise this could have been a total insurance nightmare without having video evidence.

You bet your ass, the first thing I do to my new truck is install that dash cam.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#11]

I have 2 Blackvue DR400G's on my car (1 forward and 1 backward).  Pieces of shit.  Dates are always off and they overheat like fucking crazy.  Every so often they don't start up properly so I have to unplug and replug.        

There's an Aussie guy making dashcams, who will release one soon.  Company name is Guardtrak.  He took a bunch of experience and community feedback to make the camera.  I'm looking forward to it, because it gets HOT here and the sun is STRONG

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 9:54:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoloContendere] [#12]
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 7:00:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NoloContendere] [#14]
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Thanks guys, I want to add some cameras to my vehicles.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2014 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I looked through this thread for an answer before asking, but here goes...

Do these cameras record for a certain period of time then start to record over the oldest file? Just making sure that I don't have to manually download video every day.

I like the earlier comment about the reverse cam. My jeep has the Chrysler touch screen radio that supports a reverse cam so I may work that into the plan.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 10:06:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NoloContendere] [#17]
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 12:27:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sartorius] [#19]
Nolo,

How many hours of 1080p recording are you getting on that 64 GB card? How often do you unhook it and dump it to your computer for editing?

ETA: Any night time videos yet?

Many thanks to everyone in this post. I've got some Amazon play money coming soon, and it's going towards a camera.

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Semi-off topic legal question:

If a hit-and-run, or insurance scam crash is caught on video, what's the likelihood of a judge allowing or disallowing the footage? It would seem that most of the time, the footage would be quite compelling for jurors. But often, you hear about judges not allowing some evidence that would have made a huge difference.

ETA: Obviously, I'm not a lawyer. I'm a doctor and we tend to have targets on our backs, and try to avoid lawyers

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I am headed to a security trade show next month, hopefully they will have some dash cams I can check out. Been wanting one, but have had no idea where to start looking.

Great thread, thanks for posting all the videos!
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#25]
So, I've probably wasted way too much time looking at dash cam videos on Youtube this weekend. Those Russian video compilations are crazy. But, I just found my favorite. For all the crazy that Russia does, you sometimes have to admire their pragmatism when dealing directly with a problem.

I like the 2:58 mark. And the 4:40 mark is clearly ARFCOM approved.

Link Posted: 3/9/2014 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 6:13:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Just got 2 G1W-C's for my mum and dad.  Quality is pretty decent for about $60 per camera!  Only problem is they don't like Toshiba cards, so I had to swap with the Samsung cards from my car.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:59:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By FiftyCalibre:
Just got 2 G1W-C's for my mum and dad.  Quality is pretty decent for about $60 per camera!  Only problem is they don't like Toshiba cards, so I had to swap with the Samsung cards from my car.
View Quote

I've been trying out a G1WH for a couple weeks now, been fairly impressed so far as a basic dashcam.  I have some demo video that I haven't got up on YT yet.  Due to some crap Nissan puts on the windshield, I haven't been able to get it tucked up behind the rearview mirror yet.

Biggest problem is that my wife thinks I'm all paranoid now.  I mean this, and not all the other stuff?  Ha!!

One of my cow-orkers got t-boned by a red-light runner last week.  Luckily a couple witnesses stopped and confirmed he had the green light.  So I was trying to tell my wife that a camera would have given confirmation too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Didn't they just have a case like that in Maryland, where a NJ cop smoked a road-rager on the side of the road?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eastonj:
So, I've probably wasted way too much time looking at dash cam videos on Youtube this weekend. Those Russian video compilations are crazy. But, I just found my favorite. For all the crazy that Russia does, you sometimes have to admire their pragmatism when dealing directly with a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqaig0nVcDs

Didn't they just have a case like that in Maryland, where a NJ cop smoked a road-rager on the side of the road?

when I was watching that I was like, oh crap, he's gonna get his car smashed "rack" .... oh just kidding.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
Biggest problem is that my wife thinks I'm all paranoid now.  I mean this, and not all the other stuff?  Ha!!

One of my cow-orkers got t-boned by a red-light runner last week.  Luckily a couple witnesses stopped and confirmed he had the green light.  So I was trying to tell my wife that a camera would have given confirmation too.
View Quote

I ordered a G1W-C to try out in my truck. Recently I've been driving more often and have had more than my fair share of crazies. And yea, my girlfriend thinks I'm paranoid for buying it. It must run in the female chromosome. I tried to explain to her that $67 for a camera that helps in an accident is far cheaper than the $20k the other guy sues you for. She didn't get it. But she did say "Among all the other things you waste money on, at least this is somewhat reasonable". That's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I've been playing with the G1W. A little frustrating to get setup, but I'm getting there. My main issue seems to be with the microSD. The 1080 video files don't seem to like a class4 card and end up being corrupted, but 720 is working. Ordered a class 10 to see if that will work with the 1080.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
i witnessed a vehicle crash in front of me.  i pulled over and waited for the cops to come, and told the cop "i got it on video!"  lol
View Quote

Summons inbound.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By miker84:

I've been playing with the G1W. A little frustrating to get setup, but I'm getting there. My main issue seems to be with the microSD. The 1080 video files don't seem to like a class4 card and end up being corrupted, but 720 is working. Ordered a class 10 to see if that will work with the 1080.
View Quote
I bought the same one and had card issues. I checked around on the
internet and it seems to be a common problem. There's a fix that involves
wiping the card on you computer, using another program to reformat it,
and praying to the new moon while splattered in the blood of a chicken.
The other solution the forums mentioned is to slap in a card from another manufacturer. That
seemed easier to me so I tried that. Lo and behold, the second card
works great.

Cards are so cheap these days I would just try another brand.

Those things have a great picture for how cheap they are.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#36]
lol. I was about ready to light a candle and recite the book of Job.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:13:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aklferris] [#37]
Has anyone tried the RoadHawkHD?  I'm guessing you can't add a polarizing filter, but it looks nice otherwise.  I'm not in a position to buy one right now, but I would like a car cam.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXB186Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

ETA:  There is also a direct wire accessory for it: http://www.amazon.com/Timetec-Wiring-Roadhawk-Vehicle-Blackbox/dp/B00HWHBQX4/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By aklferris:
Has anyone tried the RoadHawkHD?  I'm guessing you can't add a polarizing filter, but it looks nice otherwise.  I'm not in a position to buy one right now, but I would like a car cam.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51lqz6hkj7L.jpg

ETA:  There is also a direct wire accessory for it: http://www.amazon.com/Timetec-Wiring-Roadhawk-Vehicle-Blackbox/dp/B00HWHBQX4/ref=pd_sim_e_1

View Quote

Yeah I was just looking at that one the other day.  A little disappointed it doesn't have a rear facing camera as well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By eastonj:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqaig0nVcDs

View Quote

Dang... just imagine when those types start doing this here in US also.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:42:06 AM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By aklferris:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51lqz6hkj7L.jpg

View Quote

It seems that if you used the tripod mounting hole, you could turn it to face the side window during a traffic stop, too.  

I sure would like our moderator's comments on this item.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:53:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#42]
Originally Posted By mPisi:
I've been trying out a G1WH for a couple weeks now, been fairly impressed so far as a basic dashcam.  I have some demo video that I haven't got up on YT yet.  Due to some crap Nissan puts on the windshield, I haven't been able to get it tucked up behind the rearview mirror yet.
View Quote

Short G1HW clip from tonight at dusk, it looked a lot closer in person:

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Found a deal on Massdrop, for a Blackvue vehicle camera... front AND back cameras in the same system (don't know if both the front and rear cameras require their own memory card):

Linkaroo
View Quote

Dang it... how much was it?  

I have been checking out reviews of that cam system over the last few days.  It looks pretty cool.  It only needs 1 card.  I don't like the shiny lens though... I park outside at night and don't need a broken window and a missing cam.

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#45]
I thought about putting down for that one. But I checked the reviews and it said the image quality wasn't so hot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ARDestructo:
I thought about putting down for that one. But I checked the reviews and it said the image quality wasn't so hot.
View Quote

Which one?
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BCV:

Which one?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BCV:
Originally Posted By ARDestructo:

Which one?

The Massdrop deal for the Blackvue
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 10:02:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CujoTwoOne] [#48]
Ordered my first dashcam a Cobra CDR 810, should get it Tuesday from Amazon and hopefully a first impression next weekend.

Link Posted: 5/10/2014 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By RyJones:

You can hear me working the tiller to the stops to regain control. When I got past the rail on the left, I was looking out into a huge rock-strewn hillside thinking "if I'm going to crash out, I'm going to hit the rail on the uphill side, not sail into space on the downhill side" which came out as "nope nope nope nope".

Also, I didn't like the girly gasp, but there it is. I'll own being in the white and behind the vehicle for the first couple of frames, but I came out without any bent metal, just a bruised ego. I watch it to remind myself to be aware of conditions; I was ignoring them that day.

I went back and forth on disabling audio; I now chose to capture the data and delete later. The first responders can laugh at my singing along to the radio and I'll live.

I used a go pro for a while, but honestly, for this use it sucks.

I bought some Eye Fi cards to try to have the cameras upload to a laptop in the car. This does not work. The write speed on the fastest eyefis is not fast enough to keep up.
View Quote

Give yourself a big pat on the back for saving it, most drivers wouldn't have a chance.

Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top