Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Armory Sponsor
Previous Page
/ 2
Next Page
2/2/2023 1:55:19 AM EDT
https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Public-Introduction-400-Legend-2023-01-30.pdf

Better start saving those 10mm bullets.

Looks like a 6.8 bolt and a regular AR mag. Another rebated rim case that you will not be able to convert to this. I am surprised they didn't release this at Shot??

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Public-Introduction-400-Legend-2023-01-30.pdf   link made hot. dryflash3
2/2/2023 3:50:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Another solution to a problem that that didn’t exist.
2/2/2023 5:47:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looks like a 7.62x39 bolt and a regular AR mag. Another rebated rim case that you will not be able to convert to this. I am surprised they didn't release this at Shot??
View Quote

.422 is the rim diameter of 6.8spc, not 7.62x39.
2/2/2023 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Meh… if I wanted a 6.8 size bolt head gun, it would be 338 spectre.
2/2/2023 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Its been done before MDWS has been selling a version of this chambering
2/2/2023 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
Quoted:
Its been done before MDWS has been selling a version of this chambering
View Quote

Yup
2/2/2023 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Why would I want this if I have 458S?

I guess if you wanted projectile interchangeability, maybe.

I guess another offering is never a bad thing.
2/2/2023 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Neato.

I’m guessing it’s yet another cartridge aimed at the straight wall hunting states, although it’s a little late to the party.
2/2/2023 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quote History
Quoted:
Neato.

I’m guessing it’s yet another cartridge aimed at the straight wall hunting states, although it’s a little late to the party.
View Quote


Exactly. That's why I have the 350 legend.
2/2/2023 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Quoted:
Neato.

I’m guessing it’s yet another cartridge aimed at the straight wall hunting states, although it’s a little late to the party.
View Quote

Yep, right in between 450 Bushmaster and 350 Legend.

If the cases are readily available might be a good basis for some wildcats although not much different than 6.8.
2/2/2023 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quote History
Quoted:
Why would I want this if I have 458S?

I guess if you wanted projectile interchangeability, maybe.

I guess another offering is never a bad thing.
View Quote


It is intended for hunting in straightwall restricted zones.  If you don't have that requirement it prolly serves no purpose for you.
2/2/2023 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quote History
Quoted:

.422 is the rim diameter of 6.8spc, not 7.62x39.
View Quote

OOPS! Was looking at the 7.62 right before posting this. Must have been stuck in my head
2/2/2023 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quote History
Quoted:
Meh… if I wanted a 6.8 size bolt head gun, it would be 338 spectre.
View Quote

That's a really nice cartridge that needs more traction. There are one or two states that it meets hunting requirements for as well as just in general being a nice step up from 300blk in performance.
2/2/2023 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting.  Are there good bullets for rifle velocities in available in .400?
2/2/2023 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quote History
Quoted:
Interesting.  Are there good bullets for rifle velocities in available in .400?
View Quote

I think bullets are going to be a problem, but maybe like the 350L manufactures will produce some good options.
2/2/2023 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess you gotta make money somehow..
Wonder if we’re getting a new .400 bullet?
Who’s the brain child of this?
2/2/2023 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quote History
Quoted:
I guess you gotta make money somehow..
Wonder if we’re getting a new .400 bullet?
Who’s the brain child of this?
View Quote

The SAAMI page lists Winchester-Olin. 215gr @ 2,230 fps. Don't think I've seen a 215gr bullet for 10mm so likely something new made for the cartridge.

They get this to market fast enough I'd be happy to test it on a deer next winter.
2/2/2023 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quote History
Quoted:

The SAAMI page lists Winchester-Olin. 215gr @ 2,230 fps. Don't think I've seen a 215gr bullet for 10mm so likely something new made for the cartridge.

They get this to market fast enough I'd be happy to test it on a deer next winter.
View Quote
I have some plated 220 gr bullets I load in 10mm.

Also 200 gr plated from extreme work well in 10mm.

But these are non expanding bullets.
2/2/2023 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Wonder if they just use 6.8 basic brass that would be pretty easy. It does seem like a weird choice but maybe they had a reason.
2/4/2023 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quote History
Quoted:
Wonder if they just use 6.8 basic brass that would be pretty easy. It does seem like a weird choice but maybe they had a reason.
View Quote

The case could almost be just a preliminary step in the manufacture of 6.8 cases.
2/5/2023 2:05:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I would say introducing the 5th iteration of yet another AR15 subsonic round that caters best to a rifle configuration that just got banned, probably isn't going to be home-run they were hoping for.

(Apparently this was not a me-too subsonic entry, but a different mission statement.  See below.)
2/5/2023 2:36:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Quoted:
I would say introducing the 5th iteration of yet another AR15 subsonic round that caters best to a rifle configuration that just got banned, probably isn't going to be home-run they were hoping for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
I would say introducing the 5th iteration of yet another AR15 subsonic round that caters best to a rifle configuration that just got banned, probably isn't going to be home-run they were hoping for.


The SAAMI page lists Winchester-Olin. 215gr @ 2,230 fps.


2/5/2023 3:14:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quote History
Quoted:




View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would say introducing the 5th iteration of yet another AR15 subsonic round that caters best to a rifle configuration that just got banned, probably isn't going to be home-run they were hoping for.


The SAAMI page lists Winchester-Olin. 215gr @ 2,230 fps.



?  That makes it even more pointless, IMHO.
(see bellow)
2/5/2023 3:20:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The case could almost be just a preliminary step in the manufacture of 6.8 cases.
View Quote

That’s exactly what the basic brass is.
Attached File

Quoted:

?  That makes it even more pointless, IMHO.
View Quote

Straightwalled hunting restricted states
2/5/2023 3:39:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Seems silly… it’s a straight walled hunting cartridge right between .450BM and .350L.  But Why?

.350 legend gives you capacity and ease of suppression (Large 9mm Cans)

.450 bushmaster brings the thump and can use beefy .45 cans.

Does it do anything better than eiither of these have been doing for years?  Is there a bunch of better bullets in .40/10mm for carbine velocities?
2/5/2023 3:54:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quote History
Quoted:

That’s exactly what the basic brass is.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129950/1D6135EB-E5B2-462D-BD19-C3C0ABE06355_png-2698885.JPG

Straightwalled hunting restricted states
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

The case could almost be just a preliminary step in the manufacture of 6.8 cases.

That’s exactly what the basic brass is.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129950/1D6135EB-E5B2-462D-BD19-C3C0ABE06355_png-2698885.JPG
Quoted:

?  That makes it even more pointless, IMHO.

Straightwalled hunting restricted states

Ah.  Didn't know that was a thing.

Wait, that's a thing?  How is that a thing?

Edit to update:  Well learn something new.  Several good hunting states apparently do this, due to population density.  And with that, the race is on for a good straight wall hunting case.  Which, in all honesty, this actually is probably going to be pretty good at.  So.. cool.
2/5/2023 6:13:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Hopefully it will not be as temperamental as the 350. Being the lower psi will help. The larger capacity will move the powder speed up to more powders that will work. My guess is 4198 and 1680 is going to be the powder of choice.  

This has more appeal to me than the 360bh or the 350 L. I might have a barrel spun up for my Ruger American.
2/5/2023 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quote History
Quoted:
Seems silly… it’s a straight walled hunting cartridge right between .450BM and .350L.  But Why?

.350 legend gives you capacity and ease of suppression (Large 9mm Cans)

.450 bushmaster brings the thump and can use beefy .45 cans.


Does it do anything better than eiither of these have been doing for years?  Is there a bunch of better bullets in .40/10mm for carbine velocities?
View Quote


Well, you know how gunnies are.  There is no "need" for a 41 Magnum either, and yet there it is.  If there is a gap, even only a perceived gap, someone will want to fill it
2/9/2023 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quote History
Quoted:

The case could almost be just a preliminary step in the manufacture of 6.8 cases.
View Quote


Unfortunately not, due to the case dimensions. The rim is the diameter of 6.8 but the head is the diameter of 7.62x39. That allows them to get the proper case taper for feeding, without having to deal with the problem of 7.62x39 bolts and their lack of metal. They did the same thing with .350 Legend, used the rim diameter of 5.56 NATO but the head diameter of 5.45x39. In both cases you can't use any basic brass to form the new Legend cases, and you can't really use the Legend brass to make anything else. You're stuck with whatever Winchester is willing to provide the market.
2/9/2023 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quote History
Quoted:
Seems silly… it’s a straight walled hunting cartridge right between .450BM and .350L.  But Why?

.350 legend gives you capacity and ease of suppression (Large 9mm Cans)

.450 bushmaster brings the thump and can use beefy .45 cans.

Does it do anything better than eiither of these have been doing for years?  Is there a bunch of better bullets in .40/10mm for carbine velocities?
View Quote


Cool, we can now bring the .40S&W argument to rifles

I can see the desire for some to split the difference of the two....  I don't know that there will be any groundbreaking with the cartridge, but I'm looking at it more like "why not?"
2/9/2023 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quote History
Quoted:


. They did the same thing with .350 Legend, used the rim diameter of 5.56 NATO but the head diameter of 5.45x39.
View Quote

Do you happen to know how much case capacity would be gained using .350L for wildcats, vs starting with .223 cases?
2/9/2023 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Rebarrel the LAGE  MAX11/15 upper to 350 Legend, 400 Legend, or 45 Bushmaster

Oh the silly ideas when you have a load of 350 & 450 empties and nothing to shoot them out of if one was to load them
2/9/2023 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quote History
Quoted:

Do you happen to know how much case capacity would be gained using .350L for wildcats, vs starting with .223 cases?
View Quote


What wildcats do you have in mind that are based on the 350L case?
2/9/2023 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quote History
Quoted:
Rebarrel the LAGE  MAX11/15 upper to 350 Legend, 400 Legend, or 45 Bushmaster
View Quote

Well, if we ever get to my number on the MAX11/15 list, I have a .458 SOCOM barrel we could try out.
2/9/2023 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quote History
Quoted:


What wildcats do you have in mind that are based on the 350L case?
View Quote

None, yet. Might be an interesting parent case for something .264 or .277. This is just a thought experiment.
2/9/2023 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quote History
Quoted:


What wildcats do you have in mind that are based on the 350L case?
View Quote

Someone is out there necking it down to 224.  It is like a 223 on crack.
2/9/2023 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quote History
Quoted:

Someone is out there necking it down to 224.  It is like a 223 on crack.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:


What wildcats do you have in mind that are based on the 350L case?

Someone is out there necking it down to 224.  It is like a 223 on crack.

Like 22 Nosler 224 Valkyrie?
2/10/2023 1:26:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quote History
Quoted:

None, yet. Might be an interesting parent case for something .264 or .277. This is just a thought experiment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
What wildcats do you have in mind that are based on the 350L case?

None, yet. Might be an interesting parent case for something .264 or .277. This is just a thought experiment.

I'd like .257 actually. A little hotter .25-223.
2/10/2023 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quote History
Quoted:
Interesting.  Are there good bullets for rifle velocities in available in .400?
View Quote



Im in a forum with more than a few folk running 40 caliber smokeless muzzleloaders and finding bullets that can survive 2200-2400fps is very hard if not impossible  

2/10/2023 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quote History
Quoted:

I'd like .257 actually. A little hotter .25-223.
View Quote


A 25x68 is just that and a super easy wildcat (straight neck down). I have one.
2/10/2023 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm happy with the 450 Bushmaster right now, but if this is some kinda improvement, or is offered in a great rifle......I will try it.
2/10/2023 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quote History
Quoted:

I'd like .257 actually. A little hotter .25-223.
View Quote

That could make an interesting coyote round...
2/10/2023 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quote History
Quoted:


A 25x68 is just that and a super easy wildcat (straight neck down). I have one.
View Quote

But requires a 6.8 bolt. If I’m looking at this correctly, a .350 L based wildcat could use a 5.56 bolt AND get a bump in capacity, which is usually and either/or. How many grains that is, I don’t know. Just looking at the external dimensions, I would think it to be quite modest.
2/10/2023 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quote History
Quoted:

Someone is out there necking it down to 224.  It is like a 223 on crack.
View Quote



That would be cool.  I wouldn't mind a 30/350, would be like a 300 HAM'R-er
2/10/2023 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quote History
Quoted:

But requires a 6.8 bolt. If I’m looking at this correctly, a .350 L based wildcat could use a 5.56 bolt AND get a bump in capacity, which is usually and either/or. How many grains that is, I don’t know. Just looking at the external dimensions, I would think it to be quite modest.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:


A 25x68 is just that and a super easy wildcat (straight neck down). I have one.

But requires a 6.8 bolt. If I’m looking at this correctly, a .350 L based wildcat could use a 5.56 bolt AND get a bump in capacity, which is usually and either/or. How many grains that is, I don’t know. Just looking at the external dimensions, I would think it to be quite modest.

You could neck up a 22 Nosler. Seems like less work.
2/10/2023 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quote History
Quoted:

You could neck up a 22 Nosler. Seems like less work.
View Quote

I’m unfamiliar with that cartridge. I’ll look it up.

Edit: I looked it up. Very interesting. .24 Nosler, also.
2/11/2023 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Lots of really good bullets in .400/.401 to run hard.

Federal Fusion SP, Swift A-Frame, and the (seemingly) rare Trophy Bond.

None of which are exactly "common" to come across as components these days but that's always subject to change.
2/11/2023 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quote History
Quoted:
Lots of really good bullets in .400/.401 to run hard.

Federal Fusion SP, Swift A-Frame, and the (seemingly) rare Trophy Bond.

None of which are exactly "common" to come across as components these days but that's always subject to change.
View Quote

I think this will be a good cartridge for the straightwall hunting states. Just have to get it to market with some support. AR barrel and magazine availability are key, if Winchester kicked in a little somewhere to make that happen it would boost the cartridge a lot.
2/11/2023 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quote History
Quoted:
Lots of really good bullets in .400/.401 to run hard.

Federal Fusion SP, Swift A-Frame, and the (seemingly) rare Trophy Bond.

None of which are exactly "common" to come across as components these days but that's always subject to change.
View Quote

Those are all handgun bullets right? I was trying to think of a 40 cal rifle round and couldn't. I see a bunch of dangerous game heavy bullets in .410 for the 450/400 but that's a whole other world.
2/11/2023 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quote History
Quoted:

Those are all handgun bullets right? I was trying to think of a 40 cal rifle round and couldn't. I see a bunch of dangerous game heavy bullets in .410 for the 450/400 but that's a whole other world.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of really good bullets in .400/.401 to run hard.

Federal Fusion SP, Swift A-Frame, and the (seemingly) rare Trophy Bond.

None of which are exactly "common" to come across as components these days but that's always subject to change.

Those are all handgun bullets right? I was trying to think of a 40 cal rifle round and couldn't. I see a bunch of dangerous game heavy bullets in .410 for the 450/400 but that's a whole other world.


Yep. All essentially designed for 10mm.

The A-Frame can be shot as fast as you want. They're basically indestructible.

The Federal bullets would likely be less forgiving but fine for thin skinned game. I don't know if anyone has tested them at 2000+ FPS.
2/12/2023 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quote History
Quoted:



Im in a forum with more than a few folk running 40 caliber smokeless muzzleloaders and finding bullets that can survive 2200-2400fps is very hard if not impossible  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.  Are there good bullets for rifle velocities in available in .400?



Im in a forum with more than a few folk running 40 caliber smokeless muzzleloaders and finding bullets that can survive 2200-2400fps is very hard if not impossible  



That ruins it for me then.   There are already good bullet options for the 350 and 450, and it's hard enough to find those in stock.

I went through the reloading section of a decent sized store and the bullet selection is still pretty weak when it came to hunting bullets in calibers I normally keep an eye on.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 2
Next Page
Armory Sponsor