Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Armory Sponsor
7/23/2021 9:35:32 AM EDT
Does this little of a FPS change seem correct?
Should I try a different primer, maybe a magnum, to burn more of the powder so it will run cleaner?


Load:
Berry's 200 gr spire point
Accurate 1680
CCI small rifle # 400
COAL 2.23"
Edited to add: crimped using Lee factory crimp die

10.5" with pistol length gas system. Without suppressor.
Powder charge / FPS (average of 5-shots)
9.5gr / 1,072
10.0 gr / 1,076
I didn't, but I should have recorded all 5-shots.

I will check these loads again another day.
I noticed more than expected unburnt powder. This photo is after 10 rounds.
The velocity didn't increase as much as I thought it would between the two loads.
When I ran these through a chronograph there was some overcast, but the other loads I tested that day increased with each powder charge as you'd expect so I don't think the overcast threw off the measurements, but maybe.


7/23/2021 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Hard to say without seeing individual shot data.

Also five shot strings aren't very good sample sizes. I do at least 10 unless you're looking for very rough load data points.

1680 is definitely not a clean powder. It's just very gaseous and works well for 300 BLK subs where cycling could otherwise be an issue, like when unsuppressed.
7/23/2021 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#2]
What is a cleaner powder for suppressed loads than 1680?

CFE Black?
7/23/2021 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quote History
Quoted:
What is a cleaner powder for suppressed loads than 1680?

CFE Black?
View Quote


Literally anything. 1680 is about as dirty as it gets.

Other end of the spectrum is N120. It's about as clean as it gets.

CFE is fine, but it's on the louder side.
7/23/2021 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you sure those Berrys bullets aren’t 220 grain?
7/23/2021 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
Quoted:
Are you sure those Berrys bullets aren’t 220 grain?
View Quote

Yes. I'm sure these loads used Berry's 200gr.
7/23/2021 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
That is sort of weird.  I used 1680 with 200gr Maker Rex (all copper bullet) and got:

 9.5 gr   880 fps
 9.8 gr   931 fps
10.2 gr   979 fps

Ultimately I switched up to 220gr bullets. For plinking I am using 220 gr Berry pushed buy IMR 4227 (very quiet) and for hunting I am pushing 220 gr Maker REX with the Accurate 1680.


7/23/2021 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#7]
10.7 gr AA1680 under a 247 gr NOE bullet.
7/23/2021 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quote History
Quoted:
What is a cleaner powder for suppressed loads than 1680?

CFE Black?
View Quote


A1680 is meant to burn at a higher pressure than subsonic 300 Blackout ammunition runs at.

Supersonic and subsonic 300 Blackout loads run at completely different chamber pressures, but enough gas at the gas port is still required to cycle the action.
7/23/2021 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Quoted:
10.7 gr AA1680 under a 247 gr NOE bullet.
View Quote
10.2 under a SMK 220gr for me.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Armory Sponsor