Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Snow is almost gone.....yes, seriously.

Range should open in the next couple weeks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Finally got to the range today....was very windy ny the time I ledt.

Bad news, but not a total loss.

I started and finished at just 25 yards using a reddot.

The holes were round, that is the good news. The bad news is that I had about a 6" group of 20 rounds.

I think the idea is fine, I just have to try a few different loads. I used 4227 simple because I use that for my .30p blackout loads and was hoping it may work.

I used the lowest amount of powder that would function my 7.5" AR pistol.

I still have hope....may just try more typical .223 powders like H335, etc....start light.

My latest cast .300 blackout loads were even worse...all key holing amd about a 2 foot group.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Cast bullets are possible , results seem mixed. A 224 bullet at cast bullet velocities doesn't give you a whole to work with ans bulk bullets are pretty cheap

I choose to pick my battles . I find many uses for cast bullets in pistols and 30 cal and up rifles.

Not that it can't be done at some level but I choose not to bother
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldnt bother either, but I started casting 12 guage slugs and now I must cast everything...:)
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Starting to mess with this again. I'm still seriously considering removing the gas check bore from my mould to make them a plain flat base bullet. I may do one cavity and test before doing all 6.

I saw posts with what I'd consider very acceptable accuracy using W-748 has anyone tried H-335 or any other ball type powder. It seems silly to measure out every charge (stick powder) for these types of loads.

Motor
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#7]
My next try is Reloader 7....found some data fot that.

17.0 grains functioned in my 7.5", so loaded up 20 to test for accuracy. I am just looking for what I would call "practical accuracy"...If I can do 1"-2" at 50 yards, that will be acceptable for me.

I have pet loads for my 24" for target and varmints with premium bullets...this will just be for fun.

P.S. I am not sizing, not gas checking and doing one coat of Titanuim PC from Eastwood. That color for whatever reason covers thin, but perfect.

P.S. if these don't tighten up up, W748 will be my next try.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:01:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#8]
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I did try RL-7 the IMR worked better.

I don't have any IMR-4227 but I have some H-4227 but I'm hesitant working with something I can't get more of.

Motor
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Don't blame you.
View Quote
dryflash3
I actually have about 2 pounds of H-4227. If it works it may be a good way to use it up. I'm going to try your H-4198 load first.

Motor
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, my second outting wasn't much better.

I used 17.0 grains of Reloader 7. Very clean brass and functioned my 7.5" AR pistol perfectly.

I had the same load using unsized, sized as well as sized w/gas checks...all powder coated. Sizing and checking were done after PC to .224.

I couldn't tell much difference between the bunch. The sized ones maybe shot  a little better then the unsized ones, but pretty much 5" plus groups at 25 yards. I was trying to sight it in, but you never knew where they were going to go. All where nice round holes.

I want to stick with this powder because it shoots so clean. Going to increase my charge in 1/2 grains up to about 20 grains. I assume a little more speed should help. The 17.0 is the minimum that I worked up to for it to cycle.

Here we go again.....this is fun for me though. I have about 2000 jacketed bullets, but I like a challenge with these little cast bullets.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to take a guess and assume your barrel is a 1:7

With cast I have had better luck with slower twist, unless you have a mold for the 62-69gr.

Results with 7.62x39 - When shooting a boat tail profile groups were much better with the break/flashhider removed. Flat based and gas checked bullets were less affected by muzzle devices. (Lee 2 cav molds)

I think ideal would be a micro groove (like tumble lube, but less) or flat side mold in a 65-69gr GC would work. I admit that I would be reasonably satisfied with a load/bullet combo that could consistently hold less than 2 moa. (aka minute of Pepsi can)
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ProfGAB101:

With cast I have had better luck with slower twist, unless you have a mold for the 62-69gr.

Results with 7.62x39 - When shooting a boat tail profile groups were much better with the break/flashhider removed. Flat based and gas checked bullets were less affected by muzzle devices. (Lee 2 cav molds)

I think ideal would be a micro groove (like tumble lube, but less) or flat side mold in a 65-69gr GC would work. I admit that I would be reasonably satisfied with a load/bullet combo that could consistently hold less than 2 moa. (aka minute of Pepsi can)
View Quote
Not harmonics?
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 6:36:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HK_DUDE] [#15]

View Quote
My barrel is 1 in 8 twist.

I am running a Spikes Barking Spider with the plain cap in place (I was wondering if that may have a negative effect).

The weight of my PCd and Checked bullets are about 56.5 grains.

A picture of the gun
Attachment Attached File

I will bring the proper wrench along next week and try a few with the muzzle device off.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
Mine is 1in9 but I do believe a heavier bullet would help but better yet a slower twist like the old ARs that were what 1in14 ?

Don't want to stray off topic but you mentioned 7.62x39. I am also working with the Lee 160gr 2R TL powder coated in 300 BO. These are super sonic using jacketed data. Accuracy with gas checks is very good. I'm working up to where it functions reliably. I'm not there yet but my last group at 25 yards was 3 shots in one ragged hole.

This was the 3rd of 3 progressively hotter loads. 1st was about 1" the next just over 1/2" then the 3rd, one ragged hole so there is a definite trend towards accuracy here.

Let's keep this thread on the 55gr cast .223 though. ;)

Motor
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Update.
Tried 2 new loads yesterday. Same 55gr Lee powder coated bullets with same aluminum gas checks.
1) 16.0gr H-4198
2) 15.0gr H-4227

This was kind of a screwed up range trip. The original intention was to test more 300 BO loads but I took the ammo out of my range bag to look at it and forgot it.

We've been testing the .223s in my brother's 1 in 9 Hardened arms full float upper which I didn't have with me so I shot the .223 test ammo in my PSA Freedom Arms SS 1 in 8. So I'm not sure the improvement was from the loads or the different rifle. It does however show they can shoot good from even a faster twist then what I have been using.

The H-4227 loads were a little more accurate. The best 5 shot group at 25 yards was .8" A 10 shot group at 50 yards was 1.8" I know this isn't great but much better than what I was getting before.

The H-4198 load was just a little bit less accurate.

The bad news:
Neither load worked the action 100%. The H-4198 cycled ok but would not lock the bolt open after the last round.

The H-4227 would cycle about 20% of the time.

I saved some of the 4198 loads to try in the upper we were did all of the previous testing in.

I intend to look over data again then if it looks possible safety wise increase both loads by 1gr and try again.

Lots of things going on here. If you notice many 300 BO have 1in8 twist while other 30 caliber rifles have 1 in 10 or even 12. I think it may have to do with stabilizing a heavy slow bullet.

Maybe the 55gr cast likes the faster twist because of its slowed speed. I know that's just speculation but I'm thinking about loading some up with my 55gr jacketed load which is 22gr WC-844 or maybe a start load of H-335

Opinions on all of this are of course expected and desired. Thanks

Motor
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:52:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HK_DUDE] [#18]
The lowest charge of IMR 4227 I could get to function my 7.5" pistol gas AR pistol was 18.0....you should be able to go less then that with a longer barrel. That showed no signs of huge pressure on my primers. Starting to flatten, but no big deal.

On the .300 BO front, I just sold my 1-8 upper and built a new one with an 8" 1-7 barrel.....we seem to be in some sort of parallel universe with our cast PCd boolits. I am also testing 9mm cast PCs.

I am going out early this week again to test my latest home grown loads combos.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:59:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:54:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Saddler] [#20]
Anyone getting any accuracy improvements using the LEE cast bullets since the last posts?

What powder/size die/coating, etc. combination?
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#21]
The molds have remained a stable design.

The bigger ones are always sold out by the time I read my email with the notice from Midway and such, so one thing I know is those are hard to find at times.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top