Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 11:10:55 AM EDT
Hey Guys,

How do you guys remove surface rust off of dies?
I just picked up some LEE dies in 30.30 & 30.06 from criagslist that have some rust (no pitting that I can tell).

Fine steel wool and some CLP? Something else?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Balled up tinfoil removes surface rust from Chrome and other hard metals without leaving scuff or scratch marked. I'm sure it would work the same for dies ....just use some clp

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Wire wheel + grinder would be best I think.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey Guys,

How do you guys remove surface rust off of dies?
I just picked up some LEE dies in 30.30 & 30.06 from criagslist that have some rust (no pitting that I can tell).

Fine steel wool and some CLP? Something else?

Thanks

This is an unfortunate issue I have with Lee dies as well.  I love their dies they just get suface rust real easy and its not easy to take off with steel wool, that I know for sure.  However I only tried finer grade steel wool the type I use for polishing brass cases.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I completely disassembled them and I used 0000 steel wool with CLP and a brass bristle brush.
cleaned all the threads really well and with a cleaning rod and tightly packed steel wool polished the insides.

They are not 100% (maybe 95%) pics to follow.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]
For prevention, get youself some dessicant packets from electronics boxes and put them in your die cases. Will keep moisture low.

I've got to the extreme case of adding a 70 pint / day dehumidifier to my reloading shed to help curb the oxidation.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#7]
My Lee dies(all my dies for that matter) would rust overnight after touching them(love the LA 100% humidity), I now after removing the rust with a Dremel tool and a fine SS wire wheel spray them down with Hornady's cleaner and dry lube. Their One Shot lube may not be worth a sh!t but their cleaner and dry lube is great, I clean everything that might rust or needs a lube that dirt, sand, and residue wont stick to(trigger assy is great, then a little grease on the sear points). It holds up good also, my dies havent been sprayed in months now and they look like new, even the ones I use every day, the dry film keeps them from rusting at all.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]
One shot!  I use it on all of my reloading tools.  That's all it's good for.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:51:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Here they are cleaned up ( I should have taken a before doh...)

I tumbled some brass and bootleg case lubed it use dthe FL resizing die and decapped. Worked smooth. Did leave faint light scratches (which really doesn't bug me)
They are not "dryflash" clean but you get the point

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#11]
The scratches might be cured by cleaning the inside of the dies with bore solvent and Flitz, then oil as usual.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:40:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For prevention, get youself some dessicant packets from electronics boxes and put them in your die cases. Will keep moisture low.

I've got to the extreme case of adding a 70 pint / day dehumidifier to my reloading shed to help curb the oxidation.

Some pieces of vapor phase inhibitor paper work even better.

In a small closed container you do not need a large piece and it lasts a long time without any attention.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top