Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 4:27:51 PM EDT
I live about ten miles from a bladesmith named George Herron.  Any of y'all heard of him?  I know him a little bit and am thinking about asking him to teach me how to make knives.  What do you guys think?

Patrick
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:54:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Haven't heard of him but I can tell you that most knifemakers I've met are more than willing to share their knowledge and experience.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Patrick, you are one lucky dude.  George is probably considered one of the greatest living knife makers.  You have a rare opportunity to learn from a legend.  Go for it. Sig is right, knife makers love sharing their craft with others.  IIRC, George is in his 70's or thereabouts so now is the time to do it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone here know Mr. George personally? I'm debating the best way to approach him on the matter...

Ask him if he needs help around the shop?

He hasn't turned out a knife since early summer because he strained an eye muscle.

I dunno.
Patrick
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Patrick, I have never met George, only his knives!  Sad to say, I do not own one myself as they command a tremendous price.  Being a maker myself, I am familiar with George by reputation, reading and hearsay from those who have met him.  I know George has about a 13 year waiting list and does not take orders any longer.  He is rumored to be a very friendly fellow.  I tend to take the direct approach on such matters and would suggest the same to you.  If you know him a little then you have an opening.  Arrange to meet him at his shop if you can and get to know him as well as you can.  Be considerate of his time.  I have never turned down anyone who wanted to visit my shop to learn the knife making craft.  However, I have had to be a little forceful with a few patrons whose schedule was different than my own!
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top