Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 11/14/2003 7:33:38 PM EDT
Any one ever make or buy one? I was bored so I made one, looks like hell though. just wondering if any of you guys have experience in this area.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Never made one, but I used to work a lot with acrylic and plexiglass.  Show us a picture and tell us what you would want to be better about it...
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Well its not so much what I would like to be better about it, although I would like to make seratins on the back, as much as I was just how many of you guys have, or have made, the same thing. Ill try to get a pic up soon.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#3]
hey shadowblade -- whats the procedure for getting plexiglas clear without visible scratches ?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
hey shadowblade -- whats the procedure for getting plexiglas clear without visible scratches ?

Depends on how deep the scratches are...  If they are really deep start with sandpaper and sand the scratch out.  Sand a large area around the scratch to minimize distortion (there will always be some distortion).  

Then go get yourself a buffing wheel and arbor that attaches to your drill.  Be sure to read the package carefully and get a suitable wheel for plastics/polishing and not one that will cut too deep.  Also get some buffing compound for plastics - fine and finest...  Can't remember the grits offhand.  These should be available at Home Depot.  If not I'll look into it deeper.

The most important thing to remember with buffing plastics is to keep moving.  If you run your wheel too fast or stay in the same spot it is easy to start melting the plastic.  It just takes time so don't get impatient and press to hard...  You'll get a feel for it.

It's been a while since I've done it and I've never actually had to give instructions, so if you have any questions feel free to ask....
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#6]
We used to make them in Tech. Class back in High School. The project was "Ice Scrapers" but knives just seemed to be the way the project ended. The buffer works at cleaning up scratches pretty good, just don't over coat the wheel with compound, it is a pain to un-coat the wheel and is smears on the work.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top