Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 1/28/2006 9:40:24 PM EDT
Barrett has an add for a .416 rifle in American Rifleman aimed at the Kalifornia market and they say it out shoots the .50 BMG. Wonder what this means for all of us.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I may be behind the times. Is this just a necked down 50 BMG?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Some interesting discussion about the claimed ballistic performance here:

www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/wwwboard/index.cgi?read=184286
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I love Barrett rifles and there stance on the second amendment and I also know business is business, but personally once I break up with a girlfriend there is no make ups. Going back after the Kalifornina crowd just seems pathetic; let am go would ya?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:24:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Thing is so overbore it's retarded.

How easy is it to rebarrel an M99 because it will probably be neccesary once every 800 rounds or so if accuracy is your concern.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#8]
You might just stick with the 338LM...I understand what Ron is trying to do but (and I have never shot or tried)the 416 is not more accurate then the 338.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#9]
From my perspective Ronnie Barrett's 416 is a way to satisfy the CA market for a big boomer with performance similar to the 50BMG.  I have not fired a 416 Barrett, but the trajectory is reportedly flatter then 50BMG for any realistic range.  As has been mentioned, with this much powder capacity 416 Barrett barrel life will be 500 or perhaps 1,000 rounds if you load lightly.   But don't let this stop you from buying a 416 Barrett if you want one.   How many guys shoot their rifles enough to burn out the barrel anyway?  If you PLAN to shoot 500 rounds a year then this may not be the way to go, but if you are like most of us and shoot a couple hundred rounds the first year and then 50 rounds a year afterward then it makes little difference anyway.

Another issue is if you want to shoot FCSA competitions you will need a rifle in 50BMG rifle.

There is a slightly shortened 50 caliber round called 50DTC (I think this is the name) which is supposed to have the same performance as 50BMG and it is still 50 caliber so you can use all the same bullets.  This caliber is likely to be allowed in all FCSA competition by mid-year so as to appease the CA shooters.

Which brings us back to 416 caliber.  Not many bullets are available and those that are are pricey!  If you don't handload you are at the mercy of Barrett for ammo.  416 Chey-Tac has been around for years and still I have never seen loaded ammo for sale at the stores I visit.

EDPMEDIC has a good point in suggesting the 338 Lapua.  You can buy loaded ammo in 338LM and components are available if you handload for a fraction of same quality 50 caliber components.  In an accuracy built custom rifle 338LM is superbly accurate out to 1,500 yards or so.    When I wanted something bigger than 30 caliber it came  down to 50BMG or 338 Lapua Mag.  I couldn't resist the 50BMG lure and have one being built right now.    But a 338LM has some real advantages as well:

It can be built on a Remington 700 Magnum action and thus any of the good aftermarket stocks can be used (McMillan, etc.)

Just some thoughts,......
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#10]
It sounds like a good way to stick it to those bastards (CA lawmakers).  He's a business man who just tapped into a new market by circumventing existing laws. Will they ban these too?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#11]
The 50BMG Ban in CA is technically unlawful, so if they ban 50BMG they could just as well ban a 416 Barrett or 30-30 Winchester as far as that goes.  What SHOULD be happening is all the California shooters getting together to repeal that Ban thus restore their Rights.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Hmmmm, just had an interesting thought....

Buy a 416, have the barrel junked(actually set it off to the side so you can return the rifle to original chambering/config).    Buy another barrel, get it reamed for 510DTC and install it.

Won't be a 50BMG.    The folks at Barrett likely wouldn't support you in the slightest so it would be a whole another poposition finding somebody to do the work, and do it right.      But it would be pretty damn interesting.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hmmmm, just had an interesting thought....

Buy a 416, have the barrel junked(actually set it off to the side so you can return the rifle to original chambering/config).    Buy another barrel, get it reamed for 510DTC and install it.

Won't be a 50BMG.    The folks at Barrett likely wouldn't support you in the slightest so it would be a whole another poposition finding somebody to do the work, and do it right.      But it would be pretty damn interesting.

Since you brought it up....does anyone know of anyone who can convert an M82A1 to .50DTC?

Wrote to Barrett but no response yet.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I maybe wrong here but I don't understand it as Barrett going after California but as offering a large bore rifle capable of the distance, accuracy, etc. for the California shooters.  What I mean is Barret is not going after sales to the California government (State, County, City) but to the citizens.  Barret still will not sell to the government.  I think it is a great move and would love to have one of these rifles (.416).

As far as shooting out the barrel - well lets just say at $5 + a round it would be hard for me to shoot out a barrel.  That is why I LOVE my AR's.  

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top