Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 9/13/2003 6:45:07 AM EDT
I understand what initiates the reaction to start burning the tracer material but what makes the API start to incinerate. Is it the impact?

Also do the chemicals in tracer and API bullets degenerate over time like gunpowder does.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 1:00:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2003 1:09:47 PM EDT by Jeep29]
Yes, the impact causes the compound to explode.

The compounds used last a very long time. I opened several boxes of APIT that were factory sealed in the early 1950's and they all went boom. All of the Blue Tips we use are WWII vintage and they all go flash/bang. I'm not sure about the vintage of the spotter/tracers, but they all work too. I suppose if the ammo is stored properly it will outlast you or me.

Note: using anything made prior to 1954 is probably corrosive so a good cleaning is in order.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:42:11 AM EDT
Jeep,
Are yo saying the stuff prior to 54 is corrossive because of the loaded ammo primer or are you saying the compound of the actual specialty bullet is corrossive? I have never heard of a tracer or API being corrossive due to the bullet. Maybe I just need an education! Please advise
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 1:38:46 PM EDT
Its the primer. I've heard the many theories about the tracer compound being bad for you barrel but the primers in the pre '54 ammo is definately bad stuff.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Top Top