BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an M16 lower and would be interested.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm getting ready to buy one for $4k+ and I'm throwing it on a pistol lower with a binary trigger. I don't even have a machine gun lower for it. The FM-9 is unobtainium in the used market and when it pops up it makes scalper prices look reasonable. Yes I'll take one whenever production kicks up. I've been on your notifications list for years.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I posted this picture in the Maxim Defense RDB thread:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Maxim-Defense-RDB-review/15-780933/&page=9
BTW...I didn't realize I had a Gen2 topcover myself.  I think I must have sent mine back at one time.
I'm glad I stumbled across this configuration as I was starting to think I had no good use of the Maxim Defense RDB system.  
It is hard to charge since you have to overcome the mechanical resistance of the delay and in my experience it does NOT suppress well at all.
However, the FM-9 is a different animal.  The FM9 cycles slower than other 9mm uppers because (I think) of the additional energy required to pull the belt.  That equates to a longer dwell time.  So while the Maxim RDB didn't suppress well on two different straight blowback setups I have, it suppressed great with the FM-9.
The additional force required to charge the action is still there but for a belt fed, who cares.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2023 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NEY117:
I'm getting ready to buy one for $4k+ and I'm throwing it on a pistol lower with a binary trigger. I don't even have a machine gun lower for it. The FM-9 is unobtainium in the used market and when it pops up it makes scalper prices look reasonable. Yes I'll take one whenever production kicks up. I've been on your notifications list for years.
View Quote

You won the gunbroker auction for the Elite model?
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By amphibian:

However, the FM-9 is a different animal.  The FM9 cycles slower than other 9mm uppers because (I think) of the additional energy required to pull the belt.
View Quote

You are correct, the recoil is reduced because of the energy being absorbed by all the mechanics of being a belt fed with a pistol caliber. Its the same reason why you can't hang belt to the floor like Rambo lol. Because of that I am confused on the need for the delayed blowback system, did you just do it because you could or?
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 2:58:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Amphibian does a lot of testing with his setups and pretty much tunes his stuff to his liking. Pretty impressive. I always imagine it is because he enjoys doing it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:02:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#7]
Originally Posted By 9mmBeltfed:
I am confused on the need for the delayed blowback system, did you just do it because you could or?
View Quote
Lol.... how many will question the need of a belt fed 9mm for that matter?  Or need of full auto?  Or why you need so many guns?

ETA:  When you guys first announced coming out with a belt fed 9mm upper, the first thought I had in my head was I hope they made it delayed blowback.  A straight blowback 9mm M16 recoil impulse sucks compared to something like an MP5.  Today you have several companies making delayed blowback setups trying to obtain the smoothness of the MP5 in the AR platform:

CMMG Radially Delayed Blowback
JP's JP-5 which even shares some HK MP5 parts compatibility but is NOT full auto compatible - also proprietary upper and lower receiver length so AR like but must buy complete gun
Maxim Defense's buffer system
MEAN Arms Bearing Delay

So the desire and market is there.
The Maxim Defense setup is nice in that it is drop in but sucks that it has no mechanism to get around the mechanical disadvantage when charging and as mentioned in the Maxim thread, IMHO, it sucks when used with a suppressor but suppresses fine with the FM9.
This brings more smoothness to the FM9 while still keeping a nice cyclic rate.

Link Posted: 8/23/2023 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I wanted one till I couldn't get one.

Went another direction don't even care now.

I just love companies that make something one day then just skip town to never make it again.

Reminds me of the aliance armament stuff for the Mac series guns
Place a order then get called .

Hey we don't make that anymore how about our new upper .

Mean while new upper never got off paper or computer screen or what ever and company just POOF gone.

lots of them out there over the last 30 years.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ryo:
Amphibian does a lot of testing with his setups and pretty much tunes his stuff to his liking. Pretty impressive. I always imagine it is because he enjoys doing it.
View Quote
Thanks!  Yes, I love tinkering with stuff and getting a cyclic rate around 600 RPM with all my setups..... but doing so by not increasing reciprocating mass with the goal of trying to get the smoothest setup possible.
The only caliber I don't care about having a fast cyclic rate is 22LR that is where I just care about reliability
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By OTHP:
I wanted one till I couldn't get one.

Went another direction don't even care now.

I just love companies that make something one day then just skip town to never make it again.

Reminds me of the aliance armament stuff for the Mac series guns
Place a order then get called .

Hey we don't make that anymore how about our new upper .

Mean while new upper never got off paper or computer screen or what ever and company just POOF gone.

lots of them out there over the last 30 years.
View Quote

We didn't skip town. I have spoke at length about the process and history of the FM-9.

The SABRE wasn't the issue it was all the variation that came from the Mac platform and the individual gun smithing needs for each one. Mag Tactical Systems bought Alliance Armament. Mag Tactical went away as a company and with it the SABRE. I worked at Mag Tactical for a short time before the were no longer a company so I am familiar with the SABRE.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Lol.... how many will question the need of a belt fed 9mm for that matter?  Or need of full auto?  Or why you need so many guns?

View Quote

Im just a sales guy not knowledgeable past our products so I am generally asking lol if it improves performance I like to have the insight and you have done a lot with our platform. Just didn't know if there was an need or even a reverse effect since there is a lot of energy being absorbed by the feeding mechanics of the system. I know they have looked in to delayed blowback for our PCC.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Im just a sales guy not knowledgeable past our products so I am generally asking lol if it improves performance I like to have the insight and you have done a lot with our platform. Just didn't know if there was an need or even a reverse effect since there is a lot of energy being absorbed by the feeding mechanics of the system. I know they have looked in to delayed blowback for our PCC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The FM-9 doesn't 'NEED' delayed blowback.  It is just a nice to have.  Would love to see you guys do a delayed blowback PCC.
As I mentioned in the post above, there is a market.  I just got a MEAN Arms upper that I'm testing right now but I don't think there is a clear winner right now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#13]
The FM-9 doesn't 'NEED' delayed blowback.  It is just a nice to have.  Would love to see you guys do a delayed blowback PCC.
As I mentioned in the post above, there is a market.  I just got a MEAN Arms upper that I'm testing right now but I don't think there is a clear winner right now.
View Quote

Ill have to ask what happened with what they were working on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:35:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NEY117] [#14]
New to forum. Ignore this post.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:37:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NEY117] [#15]
New to forum. Ignore this post.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#16]

You won the gunbroker auction for the Elite model?
View Quote

Yes, I did. Guy recommended I reach out to Josh. You're josh, right? I'm in the market for a linker, btw. Also, an MG42 dress up kit would sell like funnel cake at a carnival.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes I am Josh. We don't have any linkers at the moment. About all I have at the moment is if you have any issues I can help you get it running. Comes with a lifetime warranty and we have parts for warranty work.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes I am Josh. We don't have any linkers at the moment. About all I have at the moment is if you have any issues I can help you get it running. Comes with a lifetime warranty and we have parts for warranty work.
View Quote

Thank you! It's an amazing product. I just had a newborn, so I haven't had a chance to test run it, however I'm pretty stoked. Any thoughts on the MG42 dress up parts? That's probably down the road because of production of actual units and parts and whatnot, right?
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 8:10:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By NEY117:

Thank you! It's an amazing product. I just had a newborn, so I haven't had a chance to test run it, however I'm pretty stoked. Any thoughts on the MG42 dress up parts? That's probably down the road because of production of actual units and parts and whatnot, right?
View Quote

I don't think we would get in to making accessories to make it look like an MG42. Someone else could though
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Just found this thread, glad its still active.

Josh, I want one so bad I've been trying to design my own!
Progress is slow, I'd rather just buy one lol. But if you want design help maybe I could be of assistance to get the ball rolling?

And to the guy that wanted an MG-42 dress-up kit: Here's a 3D printable MG style stock I designed to fit an AR rifle buffer tube (full length rifle buffer tube, not carbine length) Hopefully that gets you one step closer.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5210315
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BAD_CAD:

Josh, I want one so bad I've been trying to design my own!https://ibb.co/23cNB74
Progress is slow, I'd rather just buy one lol. But if you want design help maybe I could be of assistance to get the ball rolling?

And to the guy that wanted an MG-42 dress-up kit: Here's a 3D printable MG style stock I designed to fit an AR rifle buffer tube (full length rifle buffer tube, not carbine length) Hopefully that gets you one step closer.
View Quote

Design help with what?
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Josh, I want one so bad I've been trying to design my own!https://ibb.co/23cNB74

View Quote

You are the man! Thank you!

Now I need to find the barrel shroud that looks the post they make road signs with.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By BAD_CAD:  Just found this thread, glad its still active.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I apologize I am still lost on what is being designed/offered.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I thought you mentioned something about making design changes before restarting production, maybe I misunderstood. Just trying to help, I really want one of these.
Also, as a target consumer, I'd say the minimalist variant is more appealing to me than the elite version. I think the barrel change isn't necessary in 9mm and the lower price is easier to swallow.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought you mentioned something about making design changes before restarting production, maybe I misunderstood. Just trying to help, I really want one of these.
Also, as a target consumer, I'd say the minimalist variant is more appealing to me than the elite version. I think the barrel change isn't necessary in 9mm and the lower price is easier to swallow.
View Quote

I appreciate the offer the design changes, that's not what is holding up production.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#27]
If you're not on our beltfed waiting list get signed up on our website. We are about to send out a survey(s) to get feedback for the future direction of this project.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 5:39:36 AM EDT
[#28]
If you're not on our beltfed waiting list get signed up on our website. We are about to send out a survey(s) to get feedback for the future direction of this project.
View Quote

I've been on at list forever.. Very excited to see it move forward
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:01:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mr_Maim] [#29]
I was looking for links and Google hit this thread. I've got one of the first few Gen.1 uppers. I remember speaking to you Josh and corresponding via email, glad to see you're back with the company.

I'd buy another. An 11" Elite.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I remember your handle, nice to hear from you again as well. Shoot me an email [email protected] about links
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:02:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Banshee35] [#31]
I’m sending you an email about links too Josh
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I remember your handle, nice to hear from you again as well. Shoot me an email [email removed] about links
View Quote
Just emailed you.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

I have an extra one of these linkers.  I don’t need two.  If anyone is in need PM me.

Are you making new linkers?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Civil:
I have an extra one of these linkers.  I don't need two.  If anyone is in need PM me.

View Quote
PM sent
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Count me in for one as well. I’ve been waiting forever for them to be back in stock.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Civil:

View Quote

Yes we have a 5 round pocket size linker that is currently in production for the first 20 and we also just put in the PO for a million links. Those should be hitting the shop floor in 6-8 weeks. The 20 round linker we previously made takes a lot more force than the new one. The one you have was from someone else I had one of his, its pretty nice.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#37]
@9mmbeltfed, any chance you’re going to make rifle caliber beltfed uppers for the AR15?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
@9mmbeltfed, any chance you’re going to make rifle caliber beltfed uppers for the AR15?
View Quote

It's been discussed multiple times even when we released the 9mm beltfed the first time but I have no idea if we will that's not in our sights at the moment. We have multiple products we are working on right now so if it did happen it would be a few years down the road. I suspect the 9mm beltfed will keep us pretty busy in addition to our current and future products.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top