BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 1:33:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 1:49:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Indeed, I also have a M2 60MM Mortar I’ve got listed on sturm I could take down if it would be useful to reference in litigation.

However one caveat I would ask is does it make sense to wait a few years until there is precedent protecting AR’s/Standard Cap mags before going after this?

I just moved out of RI and the state’s new mag ban was just upheld with the judge claiming Mags aren’t arms and therefore not protected ):<.

Additionally I have a bad gut feeling that Kavanaugh would flake out with Roberts if it ended up at SCOTUS, and I’d be worried about a negative precedent, anti gun judges could exploit “AR’s are readily converted to MG’s and MG’s aren’t protected, AW ban upheld”.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 2:02:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I will bet you a machine gun that 2 does not happen. and beer and bourbon will be on me anytime you come to town. I may even have to host you for the big sandy.

In the meantime, I would like to help you win this bet in anyway possible.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 2:17:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the way OP thinks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 2:20:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The other option should 1,2, and 3 fail is to have a sparsely populated gun friendly state like Wyoming form a armed volunteer state guard, and authorize them obtain NFA item using the state’s power.

It would be compliant with 922 o, and it could also allow the tax free purchase of NFA items on a form 5 as well as importing “non sporting firearms” which are generally reserved to LE only.

Up until this year elected Kentucky constables had narrow police powers without having to go to the academy and could obtain post samples without any issue.

Link Posted: 12/30/2022 3:40:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 3:41:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 3:45:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ben:

The case would take enough years that the AW ban cases working their way will already be decided. Also, it is all in the phrasing- we don't have to go for the jugular. A categorical ban on a whole class of arms is prima facie unconstitutional, and with Bruen it is more likely now than ever that we could at least get the registry reopened.

If we wait, the court composition might change for the worse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Projectinfinity:
Indeed, I also have a M2 60MM Mortar I’ve got listed on sturm I could take down if it would be useful to reference in litigation.

However one caveat I would ask is does it make sense to wait a few years until there is precedent protecting AR’s/Standard Cap mags before going after this?

I just moved out of RI and the state’s new mag ban was just upheld with the judge claiming Mags aren’t arms and therefore not protected ):<.

Additionally I have a bad gut feeling that Kavanaugh would flake out with Roberts if it ended up at SCOTUS, and I’d be worried about a negative precedent, anti gun judges could exploit “AR’s are readily converted to MG’s and MG’s aren’t protected, AW ban upheld”.

The case would take enough years that the AW ban cases working their way will already be decided. Also, it is all in the phrasing- we don't have to go for the jugular. A categorical ban on a whole class of arms is prima facie unconstitutional, and with Bruen it is more likely now than ever that we could at least get the registry reopened.

Cracking the seal and getting the ability to register new MGs would be a great victory. It'd smart to chip away at the problem. While it sucks to be denied constitutional rights, it makes it more palatable to cowardly judges who don't have the intestinal fortitude to rule based in the rely intent and wording of the constitution. I couldn't even begin to come up woth odds.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 3:49:11 AM EDT
[#9]
The other option should 1,2, and 3 fail is to have a sparsely populated gun friendly state like Wyoming form a armed volunteer state guard, and authorize them obtain NFA item using the state’s power.

It would be compliant with 922 o, and it could also allow the tax free purchase of NFA items on a form 5 as well as importing “non sporting firearms” which are generally reserved to LE only.

Up until this year elected Kentucky constables had narrow police powers without having to go to the academy and could obtain post samples without any issue.
View Quote

Just pass a state law and declare that all adults are members of the state militia and authorized to possess MGs.

No state has the guts to do it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 3:51:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
So many people rejecting the idea surprises me, especially in the MG world. What is it? Don't want to loose the "value" of your transferrable? You never really know the answer I til you ask for push the subject.
View Quote

In lieu of violating the CoC, let's just say you're talking out your ass. I have yet to meet a transferrable MG owner that would not gladly lose the value of any currently owned MG in order to be able to legally make or acquire new MGs.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 6:06:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By NAM:

In lieu of violating the CoC, let's just say you're talking out your ass. I have yet to meet a transferrable MG owner that would not gladly lose the value of any currently owned MG in order to be able to legally make or acquire new MGs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
So many people rejecting the idea surprises me, especially in the MG world. What is it? Don't want to loose the "value" of your transferrable? You never really know the answer I til you ask for push the subject.

I don't think it's owners, but I suspect that some of the big dealers with large inventories might be in that category.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 6:28:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LibertyPilgrim] [#12]

Ah yes. The Sten- highly dangerous in a crowded elevator.

Kidding...I freaking love the original WWII suppressed Sten we have in our work armory. Thing is the only gun I've shot as quiet as my 300blk.
View Quote

Never mind.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 6:34:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LibertyPilgrim] [#13]

Probably January or February.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LibertyPilgrim:
Is there a time frame? Like maybe 5 years or something?

I'm Interested. Nothing is surprising at this point.

Probably January or February.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

What happened this year?
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

I own many transferable MGs and would happily see their value tank for the ability to buy more.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Wouldn't there be a reasonable argument that unequal protections under the law are beign provided? Per the oregon courts an illegal MG cannot be registered by a felon(DUH self incrimination) so said felon cannot be convicted of the MG offense, just the simple firearm offense. BUT a regular non felon CAN be convicted of said MG possession because they COULD apply for a stamp .(just never have it granted) So being a regular Joe makes you subject to laws that are unequally applied.

Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#17]
This has the potential to be the greatest thread in the history of the site…
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

This right here is the reason I say go for it now. I'm in and believe you have good grounds in the current environment.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Sadly, I have met 3. I was at a MG match in vegas a few years ago. Started talking to people trying to make friends. Ended up going to grab some food with a bunch of them at a bar. Conversation turned to lobbying to rescind the ban. 3 stated they would oppose it because they have more equity in their collections than most people have in all their assets combined. The last guy was with me that id happily take a hit on my collection for new mg's, but the other 3 quickly poopooed us saying we only had 5 between us (true).

I have 3 mg's, a paid off 2000 tundra, and a big mortgage, I am by no meams rich, but I would be fine with my guns going from 30k to 3k if it meant new options. Sadly not all of us think this way.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#20]
No bet. But I'm in for whatever I can do.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Greyknight:

Sadly, I have met 3. I was at a MG match in vegas a few years ago. Started talking to people trying to make friends. Ended up going to grab some food with a bunch of them at a bar. Conversation turned to lobbying to rescind the ban. 3 stated they would oppose it because they have more equity in their collections than most people have in all their assets combined. The last guy was with me that id happily take a hit on my collection for new mg's, but the other 3 quickly poopooed us saying we only had 5 between us (true).

I have 3 mg's, a paid off 2000 tundra, and a big mortgage, I am by no meams rich, but I would be fine with my guns going from 30k to 3k if it meant new options. Sadly not all of us think this way.
View Quote
Sadly I have experienced the same. I did work for an owner and a manager of a dealer that specialized in mg's. In turn I was referred to some of their clients. I worked with a lot of these people for years. Most mg owners would gladly take the hit but quite a few would not. Some activity work towards protecting their own collection's value.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#22]
You get this lawsuit actually going and I’ll throw in some dollars. Good luck
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I feel like the guy that got the atf to pound sand over a grenade would be the guy to get it done.

I’m in.

You make this happen and I’ll buy you a machine gun and/or pallet of whiskey
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Well now

This could get very interesting
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ARHank:
Sadly I have experienced the same. I did work for an owner and a manager of a dealer that specialized in mg's. In turn I was referred to some of their clients. I worked with a lot of these people for years. Most mg owners would gladly take the hit but quite a few would not. Some activity work towards protecting their own collection's value.
View All Quotes

Machineguns are not, and have never been, a safe "investment". Those upset about risk to their "investment" are at best idiots with poor business sense, and at worst, anti-gunners.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Applaud the effort sir.
Hoping for the best.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

This is why 2024 is important. Thomas isn’t getting younger.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 6:19:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#28]
What are the odds you’re giving me of any one of those three things happening?

What’s the ultimate deadline to execute the wagers?
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 9:42:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deerhurst] [#29]

View Quote

Well, the first half of this thread was a bunch of people telling him it'll never happen and basically to drop the idea.

I'd love my transferrable to drop to less than it's original purchase price because that would mean the market is flooded with MGs!

Ive met a couple people that want all the other MGs go away. They want all the rest to go away so their are worth more.

My MG is worth nothing because it will never leave me while I'm alive. It's not an investment any more than any other gun I own.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:44:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Can you share your legal argument? Do you have a memorandum describing the argument or a draft complaint prepared?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:21:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#31]
I think the first point of attack is to apply to import non-sporting firearms for commercial sale, then when denied sue to remove the 68 GCA, most importantly 925(d)(3) and 922(r). The whole sporting clause nonsense is what gives the government any teeth in regulating military arms.

Subsequently submit a form-1 to make a MG as a non-dealer individual. And sue when that is denied.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 3:06:24 AM EDT
[#32]
I’ll send you $100 AFTER you get the registry opened
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 3:12:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 4:53:29 AM EDT
[#34]
not going to bet against you because I'm rooting for you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I'll bet you a civilian legal AR lower.

If you win your case and get the MG ban lifted, I'll send you one. You don't by the end of 2023, you send me one.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#37]

I wish. A case like this will take several years to work it's way through the courts. The case might barely make it to court a year from when it is filed.
View Quote

2026 then?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:10:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spartikis] [#38]

Machineguns are not, and have never been, a safe "investment". Those upset about risk to their "investment" are at best idiots with poor business sense, and at worst, anti-gunners.
View All Quotes

Most people who have the money to invest big into MGs could easily take a complete loss on their investment and it wouldn’t move the needle on their net worth. And most including myself would gladly give up the value as I could expand my collection at cost, instead of being limited to one or two pieces.

Honestly the whole MG owners are actively working to keep the NFA in place is something bitter people who can’t afford transferable MGs say to make themselves feel better. Basically “I can’t afford a MG, by it’s ok because I don’t want to be an anti freedom asshole like that guy is.”

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:32:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:

Most people who have the money to invest big into MGs could easily take a complete loss on their investment and it wouldn’t move the needle on their net worth. And most including myself would gladly give up the value as I could expand my collection at cost, instead of being limited to one or two pieces.

Honestly the whole MG owners are actively working to keep the NFA in place is something bitter people who can’t afford transferable MGs say to make themselves feel better. Basically “I can’t afford a MG, by it’s ok because I don’t want to be an anti freedom asshole like that guy is.”

View Quote

Completely agree.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 12:57:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By BigHunt:

Yes. What do you think NYSPRA v Bruen did?

It struck down legislation passed by the New York State Assembly.

It wasn't some interpretation or determination.

It said the law was unconstitutional.
View Quote

Stare decesis is a thing. This isn't emancipation. It's guns, which the loud majority big, urban shitty dwellers don't like. About the only way I can see the course reversing is if there's another civil war, NFA repeal tangentially comes along for the ride like slavery did in ver1.0, & the pro side prevails. But as for a SC ruling on the matter, there's 0.0 chance of the of the NFA being quashed. Even if a majority actually did think it was unconstitutional (Let's keep it real here), they know the general public would fire bomb their homes over it. They're not going there, no matter what they think or know about the history & writings on the 2-A.

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:14:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#41]
Originally Posted By Radiolucent:
For the naysayers how many of you expected Roe V Wade to get BTFO'd?

Has anyone even had any progress attacking the MG ban since that 1990's Rock Island case?  I can't think of any off the top of my head.  If you think you can then how can I donate to your funds?
View Quote

My take: Roe was a 1-off anomaly. A big one, for sure, but still. It was considered a flawed ruling by even very ardent pro-abortion attorneys on the (honest) basis of its own merits. Even the extremely strident pro-baby kill segment couldn't/wouldn't talk about its legal rationale. Theirs was a stare decesis argument. Even now, they can't confront the non-constitutionality of the subject. They just want it to be so by hook or crook. Doesn't matter.

But now look at the political landscape in the aftermath. They flew about as close to the sun as they could without burning up, but they got more than singed. I think that enough for them.

Don't like it, but that's just the way I see things going. Sure would like to be wrong, though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 1:22:17 AM EDT
[#42]
In b4 the suit
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:01:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:06:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Don't we have district court precedent, in IL or IN, that says you can't jail somebody for not paying a $200 tax when you're refusing to collect the $200 tax?

And didn't the cowards at DOJ decide not to appeal it and make it controlling precedent?
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:33:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 3:34:02 AM EDT
[#46]
I've got $100 on your tax stamp if you get them to open the registry for MG's.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 11:52:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#47]
View All Quotes

I gotta admit I saw the same type attitude from some about the FRT trigger....
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:

Most people who have the money to invest big into MGs could easily take a complete loss on their investment and it wouldn't move the needle on their net worth. And most including myself would gladly give up the value as I could expand my collection at cost, instead of being limited to one or two pieces.

Honestly the whole MG owners are actively working to keep the NFA in place is something bitter people who can't afford transferable MGs say to make themselves feel better. Basically "I can't afford a MG, by it's ok because I don't want to be an anti freedom asshole like that guy is."

View Quote
Maybe I phrased that poorly. You are correct in them being able to afford the loss. I want to be clear, most MG owners aren't anti freedom assholes. However I have met some that absolutely despise the idea of the registry being opened. I get the feeling that the appeal of the status quo is that it's an exclusive club. It's the scarcity that appeals to them.

For every Jay Leno type that loves classic cars, enjoys driving them for all their querks and sharing the experience; there is a rich guy that collects cars because they are rare. He doesn't drive them. He doesn't like driving them. His new AMG or Bentley is faster, more comfortable, has gps, etc  He likes that the classics are valuable and rare. I've spent many years around the Barrett Jackson and Steele auctions working for collectors. Some of these guys can't even drive the cars they own. It's like trading baseball cards to them. They buy a car and the only time it leaves their garage or wearhouse is to have work done. Then they sell it at auction later. Like MGs, they appreciate the exclusivity of ownership.

Or maybe I'm just a bitter poor who can't afford to purchase an HK sear and put my kids through college.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ARHank:  Maybe I phrased that poorly. You are correct in them being able to afford the loss. I want to be clear, most MG owners aren't anti freedom assholes. However I have met some that absolutely despise the idea of the registry being opened. I get the feeling that the appeal of the status quo is that it's an exclusive club. It's the scarcity that appeals to them.

For every Jay Leno type that loves classic cars, enjoys driving them for all their querks and sharing the experience; there is a rich guy that collects cars because they are rare. He doesn't drive them. He doesn't like driving them. His new AMG or Bentley is faster, more comfortable, has gps, etc  He likes that the classics are valuable and rare. I've spent many years around the Barrett Jackson and Steele auctions working for collectors. Some of these guys can't even drive the cars they own. It's like trading baseball cards to them. They buy a car and the only time it leaves their garage or wearhouse is to have work done. Then they sell it at auction later. Like MGs, they appreciate the exclusivity of ownership.

Or maybe I'm just a bitter poor who can't afford to purchase an HK sear and put my kids through college.
View Quote

The kids will work much harder in college if they have to pay for it themselves b/c daddy bought a sear.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#50]
I rather hope this becomes your pet project for 2023. Obviously - I wish you the very best of fortune!
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top