Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2011 9:02:50 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with these?  Any idea of their value?  They’re all marked "inert" so I don’t know if the smoke and flare are live or not.

I’ve done Google searches for them, but don’t know any more than what I found there.  Any info will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Another term used was "bullet trap rifle grenades" ?

Basically rifle grenades that use standard rounds rather then specialized cartridges. (like super power blanks)

The US used them in WW2 and possible in the Korean War.  After that not so much.
Many other countries used them for many years.  The IDF used them up into the late 1980's
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#2]
They're marked "BULLET THRU".  From what I've read, the bullet passes through and the grenade is propelled by the gasses (not sure how that works).  I'd like to know more though which is why I'm asking here.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure the bullet actually went thru them as all the propellant gases would follow.
Plus how would the fusing work?  But who knows, all sorts of designs out there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.inert-ord.net/usa03a/usarg/rg/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle_grenade
http://www.combatreform.org/riflehandgrenades.htm

Most you pictured look like illumination style to me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Those are bad ass.  I like the elliptical aiming marks on the side.

Shoot through grenades are an evolution from bullet trap; Bullet traps are heavy, and the grenades don't go as far, but avoid needing 'special ammo'.  Standard blank fired grenades take separate ammo, creating a logistical issue, and training issues (shooting live rounds into an HE grenade is bad).  Shoot through grenades are safer, fly farther, and have fewer training and safety issues.

As to what they are worth, hard to say.  Pulling a number out of my ass, a few hundred apiece, to the right person.  Very niche market.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe they should call them LEAP OF FAITH grenades.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#7]
The one on the end (right) is a flare.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:54:57 AM EDT
[#8]
And I believe the one next to that is green smoke.  The other two are dummy flair and dummy smoke and I think the blue one is a dummy HE.

I'd really like to know their history - were they deployed, when were they developed, etc.  I'd also like to know their value if I decide to try to sell them.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe they should call them LEAP OF FAITH grenades.

Why is there faith involved?  There is a hole that goes through the grenade...   Bullet trap grenades would scare me a lot more than these, or somebody shooting a ball round through a grenade that was supposed to use a blank....

You will probably never get a 'value' for these, because you will never see them for sale... even if you do, a sample size of one doesn't exactly set a benchmark for value.  Most people get these directly from manufacturers, as samples, or stuff that leaks out of military training supplies.  There are no other sources.  To many people, they have no value at all.  

The key to getting a good price for something like that is to find ordnance collectors, or somebody who collects FN stuff.

Check out the patent for these...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top