User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By BlackSwan:
Originally Posted By ryknoll3:
Originally Posted By texjames:
Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:
How about what form do I need to purchase a silencer from a dealer and where do I get it?

I'm not making one.
I'm not a dealer.
I'm not moving it from me in one state to me in another.

I just want to buy one.  I want to look at the form before I go looking for the silencer.  I want to make sure I understand all that is required of me.

can someone chime in on how ya go about buying one. Do you buy it online its sent to your local class 3 dealer then you send off the Form 4 and when ya get the stamp ya can go get it?
I am still confused on the how ya go about buying it....
This is a great thread but no info on how ya go about buying the suppressor. Thanks!

To buy a suppressor....

Find the suppressor you want. You can buy one from an online dealer or distributor like Major Malfunction or you can buy one at a local gunshop with an SOT that sells "Class III" firearms.

If you buy online you would pay the original shop for the suppressor. You find a local SOT who is willing to do the transfer for you (usually $50-100). They send their license to the shop where you bought the suppressor. That shop fills out a Form 3 to transfer the suppressor tax-free to your shop. The Form 3 is mailed to the ATF, and after approval (usually around 2-4 weeks) the suppressor is shipped to your dealer.

Once it arrives at your dealer (or if you buy something the dealer has in stock or orders for you) you go there and they fill out a Form 4 to transfer the suppressor to you.They will give you two original forms filled out and you take them down to your police department or county sheriff and have the sheriff sign off on the forms that they have no knowledge that you would be in violation of state or local laws in possessing this item. The dealer will also give you two fingerprint cards which you need to have the police fingerprint you. You will fill out a small form certifying that you are legally in the US. You attach a passport-style photo to each form, enclose a check for $200 to the ATF for the transfer fee, and send it off to Atlanta. ....and wait.

Once your form comes back approved (it will go to the dealer), you go to the gun shop and pick up your suppressor.

If your local chief/sheriff will not sign off on the form, which quite a few won't, you can set up a revokable living trust and have the suppressor transfered to the trust. This also bypasses the fingerprinting and citizenship form.

How do you set up the trust? Lawyer up and they fill this out?

you can use a lawyer or a will maker program here is a link for writing a trust using quickens will maker click this.  i myself used a lawyer to write a trust for me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 11:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm new to a lot of this. As far as I can tell the only reason to set up a trust is to speed up the process of getting your BATF tax stamps. Is there more to it than that?
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By lunchbox68:

I'm new to a lot of this. As far as I can tell the only reason to set up a trust is to speed up the process of getting your BATF tax stamps. Is there more to it than that?

You can add/remove people to the trust. Works great for family members that want access to the NFA item, if you don't have a will done right now, it helps there too.

Link Posted: 12/21/2010 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok so im new to the whole suppressor thing and this may already be covered. Can a suppressor wear out? Im assuming sense a barrel can a suppressor can also... and if they can how fast?
Link Posted: 12/21/2010 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Hoxie16:
Ok so im new to the whole suppressor thing and this may already be covered. Can a suppressor wear out? Im assuming sense a barrel can a suppressor can also... and if they can how fast?

The blast baffle can errode over time, but its more a function of what the host firearm is and what caliber.  We are still talking thousands and thousands of rounds.  Something like a 22lr isnt going to wear out if you keep it clean.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Which suppressor manufacturers can I use on HK USP stock threaded barrels for 9mm, 40 and 45ACP?

And which one is the quietest?

Link Posted: 1/14/2011 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Lots of great info in this thread.  I'm looking to pickup a suppressor this year or next and had no idea about the steps involved or setting up a trust.

I have no problem doing the steps involved to complete the form1.. but should I still do the trust anyways?  Seems like its just an easier way to go.  

Also Im planning on SBR'ing a lower this year.. Im guessing the same rules apply (form1, trust, etc..)??
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 4:07:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Can I use a .30 caliber suppressor on my 5.56 rifle?
Yes. For the bazillionth time. YES.

Please find a more tactful way to add this to the OP.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Can I use a .308 can on a .223 rifle?

Just kidding.

What's the average wait time right now for form 4 suppressors? I just submitted mine last week. Is there any chance of having it in hand before june?
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#10]
3-5 months is average right now on a form 4.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MagazineFed:
Can I use a .308 can on a .223 rifle?

Just kidding.

What's the average wait time right now for form 4 suppressors? I just submitted mine last week. Is there any chance of having it in hand before june?

I sent mine off on 12/29/10 and it got approved on 3/18/11. Got a call from the dealer yesterday to pick it up.

On a side note do I need to keep just the copy of the form with the stamp, copy of the trust or both?
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 2:50:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Porcine83] [#12]
EDIT: Found what I was looking for- thanks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 11:02:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harley1] [#13]
Can one legally obtain a supressor if they have multiple residences? One in CA and one in AZ. Of course the suppresor would stay in AZ. Thanks..
Should I just contact BATF? Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#14]
A person can own a title 2 firearm at any address they actually live at.  Look here.  http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2001/aprqtr/27cfr178.11.htm

State of residence. The State in which an individual resides. An
individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with
the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is on
active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual's State of
residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is
located. An alien who is legally in the United States shall be
considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in
the State and has resided in the State for a period of at least 90 days
prior to the date of sale or delivery of a firearm. The following are
examples that illustrate this definition:

Example 1. A maintains a home in State X. A travels to State Y on a
hunting, fishing, business, or other type of trip. A does not become a
resident of State Y by reason of such trip.
  Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and maintains a home in State X and a
home in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the summer
months of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the summer months
of the year. During the time that A actually resides in State X, A is a
resident of State X, and during the time that A actually resides in
State Y, A is a resident of State Y.

Example 3. A, an alien, travels on vacation or on a business trip to
State X. Regardless of the length of time A spends in State X, A does
not have a State of residence in State X. This is because A does not
have a home in State X at which he has resided for at least 90 days.

Ranb
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Suppressors are legal in KS, and are also legal hunting equipment as of 7/2011
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Why are some suppressors made able to be disassemble while others are not?
Is one better then the other?
I would think that it would be better to be able to disassemble a suppressor for cleaning after using corrosive ammo, is this right?
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Michigan now allows silencers if the starter of this thread wants to update.

Some silencers can be disassembled for cleaning, all .22 rimfire for cleaning.

Some mfg's center fire are sealed, they say its because its a much faster jacketed round and the gasses are hotter

so it stays clean, I personally think they don't want you to see their design and baffle stack.

I think they need to be disassembled and cleaned like any other gun you own.

Link Posted: 1/21/2012 7:58:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thefreshman991] [#18]
Missouri now allows individual ownership of Surpressors as of August 28th 2011.

Link Posted: 1/21/2012 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By thefreshman991:
Missouri now allows individual ownership of Suppressors as of August 28th 2011.

Any NFA item now requires no C&R.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#20]
HELP !!!!  I'm also new to the site and THE WORLD OF SILENCERS, what is the difference of going to your leo and doing as a llc. PLZ HELP ME OUT.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 12:42:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By ARMS:

Michigan now allows silencers if the starter of this thread wants to update.

Some silencers can be disassembled for cleaning, all .22 rimfire for cleaning.

Some mfg's center fire are sealed, they say its because its a much faster jacketed round and the gasses are hotter

so it stays clean, I personally think they don't want you to see their design and baffle stack.

I think they need to be disassembled and cleaned like any other gun you own.  

.22 LR is wax lubricated.  This causes buildup of wax and dirt.  Eventually, it will clog, rendering it useless. You can afford to do this.  Centerfire cartridges don't have wax lube.  It would take many more rounds to clog a centerfire.

Design and baffle stack?  X-ray?  Fill it full of water and ultrasound imaging?  It is cheaper to make an all-welded than machine threads.

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 12:46:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By CESTILL345:

HELP !!!!  I'm also new to the site and THE WORLD OF SILENCERS, what is the difference of going to your leo and doing as a llc. PLZ HELP ME OUT.  

The difference?  Your local chief LEO is probably a politician.  And is worried about news articles showing him to approve these items.  So they won't.  

Check your HTF to see if this is the case.  4-5 months for Atlanta to cash a check is long enough, don't wait on your local chief.  A trust also eliminates fingerprinting so you are not on the radar.  You still will get NICS from the dealer and from BATFE.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#23]
I read all the posts and if I missed this question I apologize.

I will be traveling through a non suppressor state, California, is it legal to transport one though the state just so long as it is not used or taken out of a locked box?    Or can I ship it to myself at the other end of the trip?
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By bldsmith:
I read all the posts and if I missed this question I apologize.

I will be traveling through a non suppressor state, California, is it legal to transport one though the state just so long as it is not used or taken out of a locked box?    Or can I ship it to myself at the other end of the trip?

i would ship it or avoid CA.  No reason to risk it with those commie bastards.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Yea I would like to avoid Ca.  Unfortunately,  I would be picking up my son in San Diego.  Not picking up the son just having to drive through Ca.  I would also be taking my ar10's.  I would have to disassemble them but no biggie.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 11:55:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bldsmith] [#26]
Well. I just read part of the 2006 ca gun laws booklet.  I cannot possess or transport any suppressor through the state.  I cannot possess any magazines that holds more than 10 rounds. Nor can I possess any firearm that has a detachable magazine that is capable of holding more than 10 rounds. My ar10's are assault weapons because they have a detachable magazine and a pistol grip and flash suppressors so not legal even in broken down pieces.  Not only that but I cannot even possess a "sniperscope", read night vision scope, in california.   I guess that blows my plans for my next pig  hunt unless I ship just about everything.  Wow that really sucks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:09:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NZT] [#27]
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Lion_Dog:
Originally Posted By BusySquirrel:
Originally Posted By BigGeorgeC:
Originally Posted By leo6223:
Originally Posted By Impact-Vector:
Can someone touch on using a 30 cal supressor on 22's and 223;s

It's address (somewhat) in the FAQ.  I'll add some more info to address it further but the short answer is "Yes and No"

Yes please, I was just handed this same revelation which honestly never occured to me. I only recently found out about Gemtech's Halo which would open up a whole world for me. Someone had mentioned that why not get a .30 caliber version and use it for all of my .30, 9MM & 5.56 ARs as well as the optional adaptor available for AKs (7.62 & 5.65). It's like a dream come true and one I am serious about pursuing.

All considerations of suppressor efficiency aside.....

Please do not try to shoot a 9mm bullet through a .30 caliber hole. Damage WILL occur, and injury or death may occur.

I think a more detailed explanation would help understanding why a 9mm can't be shot through a .30 cal suppressor.

1 MM = .04 caliber give or take, so a 9mm=.36caliber, which larger than the 7.62mm=.304caliber or as we refer to it as .30caliber.

Therefore the 9mm is .056 larger than the .30caliber insuring damage to suppressor, rifle and possibly shooter or bystanders.

edit=terminology

that would presuppose the baffle openings are the same size as the bullet. They are necesarilly larger than the bullet. How much so depends on the manufacturer. While it is POSSIBLE you could have clearance to fit the .355 9mm bullet, it's doubtful you would. you better ask your manufacturer first.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Michigan doe's allow civilian ownership of C3. RECENTLY PASSED.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By tcnative:

Michigan doe's allow civilian ownership of C3. RECENTLY PASSED.
What is C3? Are you talking about suppressors?

Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#31]
How does a can work with a piston system?  Is the gas divereted more/less?  Is there more/less blowback from the CH?
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#32]
OK, this may be a stupid newbie question, but is there a specific legal definition for what is and/or isn't a silencer?
(I mean for example, does it have to be attached to the end of the barrel or the gun at all?, that sort of thing, or is it anything that makes a loud boom lees loud?)
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#33]
can anyone that mmets rquirements get one, or do you have to for a LLC of some sort or a buisness? TIA
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 2:01:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Researching and can't find a source cited answer for this. Can a Form 1 fabricator perform repair work on the can they build? Example would be replacing a damaged end cap.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bflamante:
Researching and can't find a source cited answer for this. Can a Form 1 fabricator perform repair work on the can they build? Example would be replacing a damaged end cap.
View Quote

No.  It sucks and is stupid, but no.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#36]
How about a FAQ section on cleaning tips for both types of cans? Sealed and those that can be disassembled...
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 2:30:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Dr_Octagon:
How about a FAQ section on cleaning tips for both types of cans? Sealed and those that can be disassembled...
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I know a 9mm can's use a 30cal can, but can a 30cal (300BLKOUT) use a 9mm can?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By strider98:
View Quote

You're gonna have a bad time if you try to put a 9mm (.355) through a .30cal can.

Some 9mm cans are rated to handle subsonic .300blk.  Check with your specific can manufacturer to see if yours is.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By andrasik:

You're gonna have a bad time if you try to put a 9mm (.355) through a .30cal can.

Some 9mm cans are rated to handle subsonic .300blk.  Check with your specific can manufacturer to see if yours is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Stupid computer, I meant to say I know a 9mm host CAN'T use a 30cal can, but was wondering if anyone tried a 9mm can on a 300BO host.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 7:21:09 AM EDT
[#41]

Stupid computer, I meant to say I know a 9mm host CAN'T use a 30cal can, but was wondering if anyone tried a 9mm can on a 300BO host.
View All Quotes

As said, a 9mm suppressor can sometimes handle subsonic 300 blackout. Depends on the can, and ONLY is good for subsonic.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 2:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: loadsmasher] [#43]
DOJ is proposing rule changes to the NFA trust that would require that "responsible persons" of the trust have the same BI, Fingerprints, and CLEO sign off that are required for individuals.  For those that use the trust to circumvent CLEOs that refuse to sign off on the purchase this will effectively prevent them from owning class 3 items.  Here is a link to an NFA gun trust lawyer with a link to the actual DOD document.  These rule changes could become effective as early as June of this year.

.myguntrust.com/are-nfa-gun-trusts-being-eliminated.html  (add the www)

Full disclosure, Jim Willi set up my trust.

ETA:  This wasnt intended as an ad but if anyone feels it is out of line I will delete the link (dont have another link to the document)
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By j0rdanj:

+1
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By j0rdanj:
Originally Posted By Dr_Octagon:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#45]
+3
In the meantime here are my .02...
I use a 50/50 mix of Hydrogen Peroxide and White Vinegar.
Drop it in there for at least 3 hours....ONLY WATCH OUT FOR ALUMINUM PARTS. clean those by hand!
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Hey guys. So a good suppressor is on my short list. I want to purchase a Surefire Socom556-RC. I've read some archived threads and it seems like people have been able to purchase the can for less than the $1375 price advertised. I don't have a dealer near me so are there any online dealers where it might be cheaper?
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 12:27:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By DoubleOhAwesome:
Hey guys. So a good suppressor is on my short list. I want to purchase a Surefire Socom556-RC. I've read some archived threads and it seems like people have been able to purchase the can for less than the $1375 price advertised. I don't have a dealer near me so are there any online dealers where it might be cheaper?
View Quote

Yep. Just found it for $1157 w/ free shipping at the first place I looked. Just check the most popular and highly recommended silencer shop online.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

Yep. Just found it for $1157 w/ free shipping at the first place I looked. Just check the most popular and highly recommended silencer shop online.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

Ok awesome. Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Ok awesome. Thank you!
View Quote

And then I found it $10 cheaper here, but they charge $8.95 shipping...so you'd still save > $1!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 4:16:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DoubleOhAwesome] [#50]
I just got off the phone with someone at the silencer shop and they told me the Saker made by Silencer Co. is better than the Sure Fire. He said it's just as accurate, reduces the noise more, is easier to put on, and is $850 with a mount! Is the Saker really better??? Because that's great deal.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top