Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2002 12:58:39 PM EDT
Hello all,

Just a little background on me. I did some time in the service as an armorer, so while I may not know it all, I know my fair share.

I have been looking at getting a new bolt-action rifle. My buddy has a Remington PSS chambered in .300 Remington Ultramag that he got about a year ago. When he got the rifle home, the bolt would not close all of the way. The last little bit between the bolt handle and the stock (0.5") is a you-know-what to close. He took it to a reputable smith (after I looked at it and told him to not fire it again until it was gone over by a good smith) and the bolt face had to be trued up and the extractor had to be replaced. Now the rifle chambers just fine.

I was thinking of getting the same rifle, but wanted to wait so that Remington could get their stuff together with respect to this newer model. I went down to a local gun shop and took a look at a Remington 700 PSS chambered in .300 Remington Ultramag. The exact same problem that was evident a year ago on the same rifle is still a problem. What gives?

What do all of you think about Remington, the PSS rifle, the .300 Ultramag, et al.
It seems to me that they are doing a pretty lousy job of quality control on these particular rifles.

At this point in the game, I may just have to save up my lunch money and get a custom-built rifle.

Your relevant comments are welcome!
Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#1]
My pss seems to be working better, but the first 20-30 rounds were tough to close the bolt. I have written remington to see if this is normal or needs fixing.  Thanks for the heads up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top