Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2002 1:18:23 PM EDT
does the state government know how many guns you own and what types, do they have like a data base where they can type in your name, social security and figure out what makes and models you own? If so why did they implement assualt weapon registration if they already knew that you owned one?
By the way I live in california if that helps answer the question.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Im sure they do in Calif, I left there 19 years ago and now live in the free state of Montana, im sure in the not to far future guns will be banned in Cali..... Bluemax
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
1911greg, you don't list what state you are in.  Here in AZ, the state doesn't know who has what.  The only form of "registration" is the 4473, which remains with the dealer until the dealer someday goes out of business, then it goes to D.C.  The state doesn't get this information.  The instant-check info supposedly is not maintained.

Other states like CA, NJ, MD etc. are probably different and more nazilike.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
In CA "regular" rifles (long guns) and shot guns are not registered. When the background check is done it only says the purchase is for a long gun or shot gun. No serial numbers. So they would only know you went through a check to purchase one but not make, model or serial number. Handguns are registered at time of purchase and the info includes make, model and serial number. An AW can (for all practical purposes) no longer be purchased. You can buy a black powder gun in CA with no waiting period, no background check. Cash and Carry from your favroite gun shop.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#4]
but they still know who owns guns right?
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Living in NYC, all guns have to be registered including rifles and shotguns and you need a permit to have them.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:54:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm old(er) and admittedly frequently a little cranky...but, damn it, you do NOT register your guns! I admit that I have gone thru the process to get my Concealed Carry Weapon permit, and the govt probably has a file (paranoia is Good!). But I'll be damned if I will ever register a gun I own (if I ever decide to actually own one (grin)). There - I feel better.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Pathfndr got it right. CA DOJ has a list of which handguns you own - make, model, caliber, and serial number, but for long guns that information is kept on file with the FFL holder. DOJ may get that info from the FFL if they want to, but that's usually only in a criminal investigation. That's not the case for so-called assualt weapons which are registered separately.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
In CA "regular" rifles (long guns) and shot guns are not registered. When the background check is done it only says the purchase is for a long gun or shot gun. No serial numbers. So they would only know you went through a check to purchase one but not make, model or serial number.

Not true. When you fill out the 4473 & it's called in to NICS, the make, model, caliber & serial number is also checked. This is to check (alledgedly) for stolen firearms.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Here in the People's Republic of Maryland, every 'regulated' weapon (handgun or assault weapon) is registered with the state at the time of sale. Long guns and shotguns are not registered with the State Police unless they are in an 'evil' configuration. So a Bushmaster post ban carbine with an M4 type barrel is an assault weapon and the buyer has to fill out state paperwork, go through the 7 day waiting period, and have completed the Maryland state safety course. However the Bushmaster Dissapator sitting next to it in the rack is a target rifle because it has a heavy barrel and is delivered the same day after the NICs check. Amazing how many H-bars are sold in Md, freaking commie state
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In CA "regular" rifles (long guns) and shot guns are not registered. When the background check is done it only says the purchase is for a long gun or shot gun. No serial numbers. So they would only know you went through a check to purchase one but not make, model or serial number.

Not true. When you fill out the 4473 & it's called in to NICS, the make, model, caliber & serial number is also checked. This is to check (alledgedly) for stolen firearms.

Sorry Bob, but not in CA. Not for rifles and shot guns anyway. I've watched numerous times while my dealer entered the info and serial number, etc is not part of it. Maybe in TN for some reason but not here.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
but they still know who owns guns right?

In CA the law is that you must go through a CA FFL and a 10 waiting period when you purchase a firearm. Whether it is a private sale or purchased from a dealer. Even if the person/dealer you are buying from is outside CA. Even if you bought the firearm while out of state. To be legal the firearm has to come to a CA FFL before you can take possesion. Of course there are exceptions to every law, but basically that is it. So if you took possesion of a firearm legally as a resident of this state the state would know if you purchased a handgun. The state would know if you had a legally owned AW. The state would know if you went through the background check for a rifle or shotgun, but would not know if you actually took possesion of it unless the searched the records of the FFL who handled the transaction. Does that help make things any clearer?
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I understand that the state has no knowledge as to a particular make, model, or caliber if it's a long gun (that includes AW's), but if the FFL holder should go out of business, some have said the CA DOJ jumps in and tries to get hold of the records, even though the records should go only to the BATF. Is this the case?
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#13]
BobCole, FYI, in California a FFL dealer completes form 4473 for the feds, and a DROS (dealer record of sale) worksheet for the state. We're not on NICS here, but the system is computerized. Storefront dealers enter the DROS info on a laptop in the store and kitchen table dealers call in the DROS info on a 1-800 number.

The DROS worksheet has no make, model, serial number, caliber info on long guns. Only a box is checked to indicate it's a "long gun" being transferred, could be either a rifle or a shotgun. All the state cares about is the DROS info. Federal form 4473 stays in the FFL dealer's records.

This apparent confusion over what CA knows about what kind of guns people own comes up every now and then. Back in 1999 when CA passed the AW ban I remember telling the folks on this board that California DOJ does NOT maintain long gun info, only handgun info. The only way DOJ would know if someone bought an assault weapon or a pump shotgun is if HE told them when HE registered it - or if a FFL gave up his license and turned over his records to BATF, and IF BATF shared that info with CA DOJ.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:Sorry Bob, but not in CA. Not for rifles and shot guns anyway. I've watched numerous times while my dealer entered the info and serial number, etc is not part of it. Maybe in TN for some reason but not here.

Maybe CA doesn't use the Federal NICS site in WV? Be interesting to find out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top