Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/31/2002 11:34:57 AM EDT
At the range last weekend, I was shooting my BM Shorty. Because the barrel is only 16", the powder charge has quite a bit of OOMPH behind it. This makes a considerable blast and creates a basketball-sized sphere of exploding gas coming out of the barrel. I don't mind it, as I am behind it, but that's a big signature. The poor child learning to shoot in the range lane beside me was just getting pummelled by the blast... I watched him flinch over and over, so I told his father to tell me when he was gonna shoot his little 22 so we could stop for a while. His dad said he needed to get used to the blast so not to bother.

I can see the father's point, but still. Is there a LEGAL way to reduce the blast, light, and noise on a postban AR-shorty? Not to "supressed" levels, just a bit less hard on the neighboring shooters? Some kind of muzzle brake or something to divert gases?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:06:29 PM EDT
Any thing that supresses the blast more than a plain muzzle would be considered a Flash supressor, hence illegal.

How close are the points and how far back from the line were you shooting? I've had people walk away from me because of the noise, but not from the flash.

I think the dad was right. He needs to get used to it, just like getting hit by brass.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:15:10 PM EDT
If you have a muzzle brake on your shorty, take it off to reduce the noise level. The recoil on a .223 is pretty mild and doesn't really justify a brake (does look cool though).

To reduce flash, shoot milsurp ammo (it has flash-reducing deterrents on the powder grains).
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:16:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Vinnie:
Any thing that supresses the blast more than a plain muzzle would be considered a Flash supressor, hence illegal.

How close are the points and how far back from the line were you shooting? I've had people walk away from me because of the noise, but not from the flash.

I think the dad was right. He needs to get used to it, just like getting hit by brass.

I agree with you. The flash was just a noteworthy feature, but the kid was reacting to blast. The lanes are maybe 5ft wide, and I was shooting from the bench.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 1:00:24 PM EDT
You may want to try an AK style brake. It does split the flash, and seems to flatten the blast a little.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 1:06:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By paspecops:
You may want to try an AK style brake. It does split the flash, and seems to flatten the blast a little.

Do you have links to any sites that have images of these AK style breaks?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 1:08:30 PM EDT
It's shown on Bushmaster's site.

www.bushmaster.com (of course!)

CJ

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 1:11:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2002 1:12:21 PM EDT by netrig]

Originally Posted By Spearweasel:

Originally Posted By paspecops:

Do you have links to any sites that have images of these AK style breaks?

try this onewww.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/apbl14.5aka.asp
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 1:17:01 PM EDT
The AK brake does split the flash - but the noise to the sides is increased compared with a bare muzzle.

Try the Brake that Kurt makes (Kurts Kustom in the Industry Section). Ask for the 4 slot brake.

It sends the flash and noise to the 10 o'cl and 2o'clock positions. That way it stays out of your line of sight and OVER the head of the person shooting next to you (assuming you are both shooting in the same position). I beleive you can also get his brake from Gunsmoke (www.ar15.tv).
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 1:20:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:
The AK brake does split the flash - but the noise to the sides is increased compared with a bare muzzle.

Try the Brake that Kurt makes (Kurts Kustom in the Industry Section). Ask for the 4 slot brake.

It sends the flash and noise to the 10 o'cl and 2o'clock positions. That way it stays out of your line of sight and OVER the head of the person shooting next to you (assuming you are both shooting in the same position). I beleive you can also get his brake from Gunsmoke (www.ar15.tv).

Other than the Looks Cool Factor (which is a valid consideration IMHO), is there much point to a muzzle brake on a semiauto firearm? 223 just isn't that big; would it significantly cut down on my time to re-align sights with target on followup shots?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:08:26 PM EDT
For years I've had nothing good to say about brakes on AR15s. They increase the felt blast for those around you and they are unnecessary on a 5.56mm gun. But I had a pre-ban barrel I wanted to put on a post-ban gun so I had Kurt install one of his A2 brakes on a barrel to get rid of the threads and make it look kewl. Then I took it to the range and fell in love. The muzzle doesn't rise at all any more so there's much less delay getting back on target for the second shot. Kurt's brake doesn't make the gun seem any more loud, but shooting on an indoor range I noticed that if you stand behind the person shooting you can feel the pressure in your sinuses.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:12:00 PM EDT
Some ammo flashes more than others. I don't have any specifics but you may try a few and see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:32:05 PM EDT
Muzzle breaks do work, but if you thought the kid flinched before try a rifle with a break on it. I have one of the AK style breaks and I cant say enough about it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:15:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Shadowblade:
Some ammo flashes more than others.

Using Remington UMC ammo pretty much makes the fireball disapear. Just a small two-inch blue flame.

I had some South African battlepacks that seemed to have low flash too.. but that was awhile ago.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:06:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Spearweasel:
Other than the Looks Cool Factor (which is a valid consideration IMHO), is there much point to a muzzle brake on a semiauto firearm? 223 just isn't that big; would it significantly cut down on my time to re-align sights with target on followup shots?

Muzzle brakes have 3 uses (in order from least significant to most significant).
1) Looks Cool
2) Protects Muzzle from dings
3) Keeps muzzle rise to a minium for fast follow up shots.

I shoot tactical rifle competition. There are times when the faster follow up IS noticable and usefull. How usefull that would be in 'real-life' is open to debate. Generally its most usefull/noticable when you have several targets at longer range you need to take down fast.

For the full-auto guys the reduction in rise is very noticable and usefull.
Top Top