Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2001 7:35:48 AM EDT
I recently purchased an ASA upper and I need to change the hammer in my lower. Can someone walk me through the process so I don't spend most of the day chasing springs and such around my apartment?
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Just 2 days ago, I changed out some parts in my lower. Not the hammer, but I had to take it out to get the others out. My first time to ever try anything like this. No problem. Used a brass punch to push out pin, ofcourse I paid attention to how the spring was sitting in there  and everything else was lined up. Pulled the punch back and lifted the hammer out. The hammer spring stays on the hammer so you have to take it off after you get the hammer out. Swap springs and use the punch to line everything up and push punch out with the pin. Job took less time to do than to write about it. Mine even still works after I worked on it. Surprised me!
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#2]
There appears to be a retaining pin or spring in the hammer itself that locks the hammer pin  so that it doesn't easy slide out.  My new hamme doens't have one.  Can it be removed from the old hammer or can I go wothout it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There appears to be a retaining pin or spring in the hammer itself that locks the hammer pin  so that it doesn't easy slide out.  My new hamme doens't have one.  Can it be removed from the old hammer or can I go wothout it.

I believe you are talking about the hammer spring. It fits over the flanges on the hammer prior to being put in. The Hammer pin does have notches that the spring slides into on top. This holds the hammer retaining pin in place and keeps it from "walking" out when the gun is fired. Make sure to replace the pin the correct way or the pin will walk. Just look at it when it comes out-it is not symmetric. It works better to use a slave pin when removing and installing the hammer assembly. You can cut an old retaining pin down to slightly less than the width of the receiver or use a nail(cut down). The nail is a little tougher as it may be a little harder to get by the spring. I filed the edge down a little to make it slide in a little better. The slave pin makes it a little easier to get the whole thing out or, especially in. You really shouldn't have to take anything else out to do this but hold on to things to keep the hammer from flying out at you. Not much to lose, though. The hammer and spring are large enough to find easily.Just do as Raco2000 said.
Get the USMC M16 manual. $6 at any gunshow or you can order from a variety of resources. It will take you through complete assembly and disassembly as well as trouble shooting. Every one with an AR should have one. I think Cheaper than Dirt has some. Wish there was something similar for an AK.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a little "J" shaped spring inside the hammer.  Usually comes as part of the hammer.  You can pull the one out of your old hammer with a teeny pair of needle nose pliers.

I had hoped the parts diagrams would show it, but no such luck.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]
There are some drawings here that should help.

www.ar15.com/articles/article.html?article=34

Edited to add... make sure you do a FUNCTION CHECK before firing live ammo!

Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the information guys.

I did get the new hammer in but I could not get the J-shaped pin out of my old hammer.  I guess I will try to get the old one out again or maybe get a new/ different hammer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top