Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2001 1:20:18 PM EDT
but, I've never fired an AR.  If you want to stop firing, but are only halfway through a mag, how do you clear the chamber of a live round.  I would guess this, but I don't know.

1) put on safe
2) remove magazine
3) pull charging handle to eject the live round in the chamber

Is this correct?
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.

I might add:

4)visually inspect the chamber to ensure it's empty
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#2]
You have got it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd insert as #1 keeping muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Always remember...there is no such thing as a stupid question!  Only a stupid person behind a question! HA...HA...HA?

Yeah, you have the right idea.  Now isn't it time to get some hands on application?

Edited because Gargoyle is stupid!
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, actually I do believe that it is time for some hands on application.  So I am getting ready to order a stripped lower next week.  Unfortunately with 2 kids under 3yo and a wife, this is the only way I'm going to be able to afford it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Where's the "unfortunate" VJ ? You got your family, a great hobby that may help you take care of them, by the time they're old enough to share it with you...you'll be an old hand at it, you can set your own pace in putting your own AR together, and you'll probably know the insides better than many that didn't go your route. I fail to see a real downside, and welcome to the fold.      Stay safe
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Why would you want to quit shooting halfway through a mag? I usually pull on a dead trigger a few times before I give up!
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Sparky, You're right.  I shouldn't have put it that way.  I am very blessed.  I just wish we has some more money.  But I guess so does everyone else.

Pangea,  It was just a theoretical I was thinking of.  Maybe at the line, they give a command to halt fire and clear weapons...

Thanks all

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:04:11 AM EDT
[#10]
You know, you could always sell your children for biomedical research... they pay pretty good, and you can get a lot of AR parts for a healthy toddler.

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#11]
My brother solves the clearing problem by just pulling the trigger until the gun stops going BANG and lets out a single CLICK.
Its easy for him to do because he shoots on my tab.  I just cringe when he gets that smile on his face with my AR in his arms...
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Another trick is to insert a foam earplug (not the ones you are currently wearing) between the top of the bolt catch and the receivers.  The next shot locks the bolt back.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My brother solves the clearing problem by just pulling the trigger until the gun stops going BANG and lets out a single CLICK.
Its easy for him to do because he shoots on my tab.  I just cringe when he gets that smile on his face with my AR in his arms...

That's what my "friend" does.  He blasts away with MY ammo, and never offers to pay.  And he gets this look when he picks up my HK91 and starts blasting thru round after round of $0.16/round 7.62 ammo.  Ouch...each mag costs $3.20...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top