Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2001 2:52:31 PM EDT
Probably asked and answered, but nothing came backi in the search.

Many talk about the reliability of the ar, and mine hiccups from time to time by not ejecting and ramming and jamming a new round underneath the old case and locking the gun up.

Many threads talk about the correct seating of the rounds in the mag. What is the proper procedure so that I may eliminate ignorance from my problems.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Cartridge heads placed firmly against the back of the mag.  Just pack the mag like you would a pack of smokes.  Hold the mag in one hand and firmly strike the back of it (the seem closest to the trigger when in the rifle) against the heel of your other hand after loading it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#2]
This problem sounds like you need to field strip the AR and specifically the bolt assembly. You then need to remove the extractor and extractor pin and clean the face of the bolt assembly. Be sure to check that the ejector plunger is free to move in and out and that the ejctor plunger spring and/or spring are not binding. Charles.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Having re-read your post, I'm gonna go with jarheadgunner on this.  Failure to extract really doesn't have anything to do witht the mags.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#4]
My Bushy has done the exact same thing.  Tried to jam a fired case and a new one into the chamber together.  I've gone over the extractor and ejector with a fine toothed comb, and can find nothing.  The problem is intermittent.  It may be an ammo problem, as I haven't yet gone through the first case i bought for it.  If it does it again after I get a new case, I'll try replacing the extractor.  The same may work for you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I had and intermittant problem like this.  There was a little piece of brass wedged down the side of the ejector (from a blown primer many moons ago).

Every now and then the ejector would stick in the down position long enough to cause the failure and then pop back out by the time I removed the bolt.  Really pissed me off for awhile.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the same problem as a result of a sticky ejector.  I tried lubing it as per the Army Operators Manual, but that didn’t help much.  

I took the ejector out of the bolt and found bits of brass in the recess.  I cleaned this up and stoned things lightly to get rid of any burrs.  Now the empties absolutely rocket out of the ejection port.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My Bushy has done the exact same thing.  Tried to jam a fired case and a new one into the chamber together.  I've gone over the extractor and ejector with a fine toothed comb, and can find nothing.  The problem is intermittent.  It may be an ammo problem, as I haven't yet gone through the first case i bought for it.  If it does it again after I get a new case, I'll try replacing the extractor.  The same may work for you.

This is definately a sticky ejector.  If I'm not mistaken, by the time the bolt has moved forward to ram a fresh round into the chamber, it should have previously moved reward enough for the spent casing to have cleared the chamber, which would have resulted in an ejection.  The only reason it would not have ejected is if the ejector failed to punch forward .
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 4:17:18 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was at the "range" yesterday, I emptied a mag as fast as I could pull the trigger, and no problem. It did happen twice in the day (FTEj} but it is better than the whole day.

I thought it may be a mag because last time out, it happened every round in the mag (flawless for 100 rnd and then failing for the next 30).

People talk a lot here about bad mags, how do I know when the mag is starting to turn sour and how do I know it is the spring or the lips or the follower?
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 8:14:05 AM EDT
[#9]
If the spring is bad a couple things might happen; the bolt travele forward w/o picking up a new round ( could also be bad feed lips, but miy experience has alway been crapped out springs), and the bolt my fail to be held open after the last shot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
People talk a lot here about bad mags, how do I know when the mag is starting to turn sour and how do I know it is the spring or the lips or the follower?

For me personally, I usually take 3 or 4 mags to the range, if I experience feeding/extraction problems, I switch mags. If that cures the problem, its the mag, if not look else where.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This is definately a sticky ejector.  If I'm not mistaken, by the time the bolt has moved forward to ram a fresh round into the chamber, it should have previously moved reward enough for the spent casing to have cleared the chamber, which would have resulted in an ejection.  The only reason it would not have ejected is if the ejector failed to punch forward .

Hmm.  I hadn't thought of that, although I've lubed and worked the ejector in the course of trying to fix it.  My suspicion was that the case was slipping off the extractor before it could clear enough to eject, but the sticky ejector sounds quite likely.  How do you remove the ejector from the bolt?  The manual says how to remove the extractor, but not the ejector.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#12]
For my problem anyway, the round is always, always still inside the extractor, loose rounds are not inside the gun, but the old round is still attached to the bolt, while the new round is fed into it.

Maybe a stuck ejector not releasing with enough OOMPH!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top