Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2001 2:56:09 AM EDT
I have enjoyed reading through many of the posts on this site while researching which AR 15 to purchase. As a prior service grunt, I am used to the stock M16/A2 and wish to buy that which I am skilled at using. Based on your folks recommendations I plan on purchasing a Bushmaster XM15 E2S Dissipator A3. However, I am concerned over the heavy barrel and potential performance on long range point targets. Can anyone recommend a configuration that maintains the light weight configuration of the mil spec M16 while maintaining a respectable target grouping at 500M or better?
You folks obviously have your Sh** together here and I would really appreciate your comments.

Thanks - Paul (USAR - Ret)

Link Posted: 11/15/2001 3:46:54 AM EDT
[#1]
The Bushmaster Shorty "16" is a good light weight peice with an effective range of 800 meters.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:16:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the lightweight and good performance of the M4 profile weapons.

BUT, the 16" barrel and short sight radius aren't well suited for your requirement of 500M or better.

You should look at the standard 20" rifle only.  If you want to cut some weight, goto www.ar15.tv and have them build you up one with a Bushmaster gov't profile 20" barrel.   Get the 4 slot muzzle brake (needed because they convert a preban barrel).  THIS WILL DUPLICATE THE WEIGHT OF THE ISSUED WEAPON.

Or you can get a standard 20" Hbar and sent the barrel to Kurts Kustoms for reprofiling to lighten it up.

I did the Gunsmoke route, my buddy did the Kurts route.  Both worked out great.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:22:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd go with the Government Profile Barrel, it fits every requirement you list. And I think you might find the H-BAR a bit heavy. I thought Bushmaster made Gov Prof barrels, but maybe I'm wrong. If not, go with fightforyourrights suggestion, and check out gunsmoke. Make sure to get one with a chrome lined barrel. I've done business with them, and it's always been pleasent. Anyway, good luck.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 5:37:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Bushmaster does make the gov"t profile 20", but only in a preban configuration

Gunsmoke will make it a postban.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:19:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Paul --

Can't be done without some extra work.

The M16A2 rifle is not accurate beyond 300 meters unless fired from a bench.  Total rifle + service ammo + shooter is a 4MOA standard and that's a 22" group at 500 meters.

However.  IF you load the same type match ammo used at Camp Perry and IF you shoot with a good sling position with a free floated barrel you can achieve this.

The Bushmaster "government profile" barrel is barely an once heavier than the Colt's M16A2 barrel (by personal weighing) so that's not going to feel any different.  

You'll need the DCM free floating handguard setup, however, to keep from bending the barrel with the sling.  This is slightly heavier due to the tube being heavier than the aluminum heat shields.  I'm pretty sure this tube requires removing the front sight to get it on the rifle as it's actually the barrel nut.  Certainly requires removing the barrel.  

As others have pointed out the government profile barrel only comes with the bayonet lug and threaded muzzle.  I'd have the same folks who "post ban" this barrel for you fit the DCM free float and handbuards to your upper receiver as the front sight pins are critical to accuracy.

You'll end up with a rifle slightly heavier than the M16A2, but still well under "HBAR" weight and with more accuracy potential.  Won't be a true match rifle, but will be several pounds lighter than one.

-- Chuck

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top