Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/1/2001 7:36:48 AM EDT
I am looking to replace my 22" Varmint AR with a M1A Standard. What kind of accuracy can I get from a Springfield M1A standard? From 200 yards I can put five shots in a group the size of a penny. Can the M1A do this type of work?
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:49:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/1/2001 7:45:05 AM EDT by mr_wilson]
With standard M1A, No.
About 2" @100 yards w/ stock standard M1A.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:21:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By zipster223:
I am looking to replace my 22" Varmint AR with a M1A Standard. What kind of accuracy can I get from a Springfield M1A standard? From 200 yards I can put five shots in a group the size of a penny. Can the M1A do this type of work?

No. If accuracy is your game, the AR is your better option by a long shot and will not be as likely to change zero/go south like the M1A can due to the complex bedding and barrel contact of the stock.

My National Match M1A was a consistent 1 moa shooter. I never could make it do better. My AR with a 24" Armalite upper is a consistent 1/2 moa or better.

shooter
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:24:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By zipster223:

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing the accuracy of an extremely non-standard AR with a standard M1A. The standard M1A will shoot as well as a standard AR-15.
What are you trying to do? Up your caliber and retain the same accuracy? Then get a similarly accurized M1A, like an M21. Your AR will probably still outshoot it, but not by much.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:56:14 AM EDT
Since you seem to want an extremely accurate rifle, just get a quality match grade bolt rifle. You obviously didn't shoot that small group sitting, standing, or rapid prone; therefore, go with the bolt gun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 10:07:09 AM EDT
Your sights on each are also apples to oranges. M14 sights are very good, similar to the AR's, but they're exactly that: SIGHTS. Your Varmint gun probably has a decent scope on it to be putting .35MOA into a target, something few ironsights (save NRA Match style) could do. If you plan on creating a similar setup with your M1A, then you could probably get into the .5 - 1.0MOA area. Otherwise, standard sights will get you approximately 2MOA.
Top Top