Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By B44T:
Durability. Aluminum but stock on aluminum lower is durable enough for but plate smashing things that need to be smashed.
View Quote

Never handled a 5.56 rifle that feels as much like a classic battle rifle as my early model XCR. It was only as heavy as a similarly optioned AR at the time it came out but no AR ever built feels as solid as an XCR-even with it's folding stock-you wouldn't hesitate to butt-stroke the fuck out of a screaming Russian or Chinaman coming over the hill with one of these.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
honestly i have ZERO interest in any rifle with a polymer lower or upper. i will take the extra few ounces for durability and longevity every time. might be ok for a range queen, but i have zero interest in that. i am far from being a tactical operator but i expect any rifle i buy to be up to that need.  jmho
View Quote

I've beat the hell out of my XCR-L that is a mid-600 serial number. It has never given me any trouble other than when I run it on the gas setting I like for brass case ammo it will fail to lock back on Wolf every magazine or two. I purposely ran it dry with no lube but what it came with for the first 1000 rounds, then took pity and used a little oil when I saw shavings at the 1400 round mark. Turned out they were from the steel case ammo I was running-that and Guatemalan at the time.

I shot the rifle a lot, then started building fancy custom AR's and put it aside for a few years. Took it out this past year and was marveling how controllable it is compared to the fancy all carbon 2-gun rig I just built with it's "best in class" SJC Titan muzzle break on it...... Still a fantastic gun, even without all of the improvements that Robinson has made.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 4:28:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the FAST 3 stock on my XCR-M.  It has QD sling mounts built into it which the FAST 1 and 2 do not have.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

I assume the FAST 3 will fit either platform?
View Quote

Correct.

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I had two of them.  They were excellent rifles.  Both of mine were early models and so I updated the gas system and triggers.  They are very well built and slick shooting rifles.  One was 6.8 SPC and the other was 5.56.  The single bolt holding the barrel in was never a problem, even though I doubted it when I first gone one.

I sold both of them after XCRMonger left.  I don’t remember what it was I was trying to by from Robinson, but I could not get through by phone or email for a ridiculously long time and I felt I wasn’t asking too much to have someone pick up the phone.  

I did not expect them to still be around now, because their service was genuinely crap.  I may buy another one at some point.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bolster:
I had two of them.  They were excellent rifles.  Both of mine were early models and so I updated the gas system and triggers.  They are very well built and slick shooting rifles.  One was 6.8 SPC and the other was 5.56.  The single bolt holding the barrel in was never a problem, even though I doubted it when I first gone one.

I sold both of them after XCRMonger left.  I don’t remember what it was I was trying to by from Robinson, but I could not get through by phone or email for a ridiculously long time and I felt I wasn’t asking too much to have someone pick up the phone.  

I did not expect them to still be around now, because their service was genuinely crap.  I may buy another one at some point.
View Quote

Like their rifle, they evolved this as well. Service is really good now, Holly is fantastic, Alex has also been fantastic to talk to and work with. Zero complaints about their CS.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sgwlower:

Like their rifle, they evolved this as well. Service is really good now, Holly is fantastic, Alex has also been fantastic to talk to and work with. Zero complaints about their CS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bolster:

Holly really is good.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Still a small company and small gun companies go belly up frequently.  I hope they don't, but this is the primary reason I don't own one of these rifles.

Bought a Bren 2 Carbine for this reason.  CZ isn't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

I recently found the old original gen 1 gas blocks and piston heads from mine.  Maybe if I buy another XCR, I can downgrade it to the annoying gas system that requires tools to adjust!
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 10:09:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BuddyChryst] [#11]
Originally Posted By stevelish:
Still a small company and small gun companies go belly up frequently.  I hope they don't, but this is the primary reason I don't own one of these rifles.

View Quote

Yes, much better to buy from a well established company like Bushmaster. Oh wait. At least the parent company, Remington is doing well. Though I saw them on the news last week. Lemme go google that, don’t remember what that was about....okay I’m back. How embarrassing, they filed for bankruptcy.  Twice in two years?  Yikes. Well Colt is solid. Very financially stable. No chance of bankruptcy. Not for a second time anyway. Oh, they’ve filed at least 3 times in their history?  

Well yeah, small guys are very risky.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BuddyChryst:

Yes, much better to buy from a well established company like Bushmaster. Oh wait. At least the parent company, Remington is doing well. Though I saw them on the news last week. Lemme go google that, don’t remember what that was about....okay I’m back. How embarrassing, they filed for bankruptcy.  Twice in two years?  Yikes. Well Colt is solid. Very financially stable. No chance of bankruptcy. Not for a second time anyway. Oh, they’ve filed at least 3 times in their history?  

Well yeah, small guys are very risky.
View Quote

Enjoy your XCR.  They look like great guns.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 11:34:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: B44T] [#13]
Originally Posted By stevelish:

View Quote

Since 1999 there have been countless predictions of Robinsons impending collapse. They have all come to naught.  Being wholly owned and debt free may be a contributing factor.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm interested in one of these in pistol configuration. Best to go through a dealer or direct? Does anyone know what the length of the standard rail is? Looking at the builder on RA's website it looks like a 16" barrel extends quite a bit beyond the end of the rail.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cgoff:
I'm interested in one of these in pistol configuration. Best to go through a dealer or direct? Does anyone know what the length of the standard rail is? Looking at the builder on RA's website it looks like a 16" barrel extends quite a bit beyond the end of the rail.
View Quote

Go direct through RA, give thier CS a call, Holly is awesome to talk to, and incredibly knowledgeable. She can answer everything for you, if not she will get right back to you, or Alex will reach out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By B44T:

Since 1999 there have been countless predictions of Robinsons impending collapse. They have all come to naught.  Being wholly owned and debt free may be a contributing factor.
View Quote

I bought through a dealer.  Saved a few bucks.
It took about 3 weeks to get it.
Spec’d a two tone cerakote job.
Looks great, shoots great.
Considering an sbr or pistol,soon.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:30:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SperlingPE:

I bought through a dealer.  Saved a few bucks.
It took about 3 weeks to get it.
Spec’d a two tone cerakote job.
Looks great, shoots great.
Considering an sbr or pistol,soon.
View Quote

Who did you purchase through?   I haven't really had much luck finding an actual dealer network.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought a 18” XCR-M through the website. They told me it is going to take 14 weeks to receive mine. However, their CS was very quick to respond to any of my emails.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By El_Herko:
I bought a 18” XCR-M through the website. They told me it is going to take 14 weeks to receive mine. However, their CS was very quick to respond to any of my emails.
View Quote

I was told 8-10 weeks. Probably longer now that IV8888 and MGG reviewed them recently and gave them more exposure.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Not hated at all.  I've had one for 12 years.   Its a fantastic gun.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:39:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I just found this thread. I bought an XCR-M in 6.5CM for my birthday this year. Its a pretty damn neat rifle.

42AA8BD2-A29D-4CA0-9373-451B34F2228D_1_201_a by Austin Scott, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By CFII:
I just found this thread. I bought an XCR-M in 6.5CM for my birthday this year. Its a pretty damn neat rifle.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50325187372_4dd7d69be7_b.jpg42AA8BD2-A29D-4CA0-9373-451B34F2228D_1_201_a by Austin Scott, on Flickr
View Quote

Beautiful!
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By CFII:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50325187372_4dd7d69be7_b.jpg42AA8BD2-A29D-4CA0-9373-451B34F2228D_1_201_a by Austin Scott, on Flickr
View Quote

Modern rifles all look mostly the same for me, but the XCR looks so damned sleek and refined. Congrats on the score!
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By lew:

Modern rifles all look mostly the same for me, but the XCR looks so damned sleek and refined. Congrats on the score!
View Quote

Thanks. Its an impressive rifle, with excellent fit and finish.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I wish I had never clicked on this thread. It is eventually going to cause me to separate myself from some of my money.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
I wish I had never clicked on this thread. It is eventually going to cause me to separate myself from some of my money.
View Quote

It got me...

I've been eyeballing these for a while, got sidetracked, then this thread came up and got me back on the edge... I jumped about a week ago...

10-14 weeks is the current lead time.

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Johnny_Longslide:

It got me...

I've been eyeballing these for a while, got sidetracked, then this thread came up and got me back on the edge... I jumped about a week ago...

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:

It got me...

I will provide additional incentive pictures tomorrow to hold you guys over.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:50:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: therex] [#29]
I'm a big fan of mine. I wanted one for a long time, found a great deal on this guy, then proceeded to order another from my friendly "local" XCR dealer.

I kind of want to hog out the gas plug on "5" to see if I can run subs, but I'll wait until my can gets out of jail and see what happens.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By therex:
I'm a big fan of mine. I wanted one for a long time, found a great deal on this guy, then proceeded to order another from my friendly "local" XCR dealer.

I kind of want to hog out the gas plug on "5" to see if I can run subs, but I'll wait until my can gets out of jail and see what happens.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223482/PXL_20201006_184815942_PORTRAIT-01_COVER-1649693.JPG
View Quote

How do you like the picatinny railed upper? Like dimensionally? I ordered the M-lok but I think I want that version as well.

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#31]

How do you like the picatinny railed upper? Like dimensionally? I ordered the M-lok but I think I want that version as well.

View Quote
So when I did the research, it looks as if the MLOK is just as "fat" as a quad rail, and might be even "bigger" if you put mlok rails on all three sides. Am I making sense? A few folks have milled off the quad rails and put in helicoils for URX3 or Geissele Mk1 style rails, which I think would actually be the best of both worlds.

Mlok is cool and all but there's no MLOK accessory that isn't also just 1913. And aesthetically I think the Quad Rail looks just as good as the MLOK XCR, and let's be real here: If you don't look cool wtf are you even doing?
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#32]
So when I did the research, it looks as if the MLOK is just as "fat" as a quad rail, and might be even "bigger" if you put mlok rails on all three sides. Am I making sense? A few folks have milled off the quad rails and put in helicoils for URX3 or Geissele Mk1 style rails, which I think would actually be the best of both worlds.

Mlok is cool and all but there's no MLOK accessory that isn't also just 1913. And aesthetically I think the Quad Rail looks just as good as the MLOK XCR, and let's be real here: If you don't look cool wtf are you even doing?
View All Quotes

I'm trackin'. I do have a soft spot for 1913 so I guess I'll order it.

And yes, It will be utilized for my backyard LARPing images...

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

This is is well written. The Mlok is as wide as picatany to allow for barrel removal for the XC part of the rifle, this is by design. The Mlok rail feels like a urx 3.1 in the hand.

Honestly, even though everyone hates it because Crane told you to, Key mod is the cats ass on the XCR.

Keymod is a much shallower mounting solution allowing for the mounts to tighten flush inside the rail and still allowing for barrel removal, while having an ultra slim rail. Both of mine are in key mod for this specific reason.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#34]
As promised.

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 3:12:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MagnusActual] [#35]

This is is well written. The Mlok is as wide as picatany to allow for barrel removal for the XC part of the rifle, this is by design. The Mlok rail feels like a urx 3.1 in the hand.

Honestly, even though everyone hates it because Crane told you to, Key mod is the cats ass on the XCR.

Keymod is a much shallower mounting solution allowing for the mounts to tighten flush inside the rail and still allowing for barrel removal, while having an ultra slim rail. Both of mine are in key mod for this specific reason.
View All Quotes

Yeah, there's a comparison on the Robinson Arms website that shows the difference visually.

@mdavis ... And those are beuts!

I might look more into the Keymod... Might get all three...Why the hell not... ha

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 4:00:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mdavis] [#36]

Yeah, there's a comparison on the Robinson Arms website that shows the difference visually.

https://robinsonarmament.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/20190131_072105.jpg

I might look more into the Keymod... Might get all three...Why the hell not... ha

View All Quotes

https://robinsonarmament.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/20190131_072105.jpg

100% prefer KM over MLOK. As stated earlier, the MLOK just feels uncomfortably thick to me.

ETA: The downside to KM is that your hand is closer to the barrel when it starts to get hot.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Because pics why notAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Nice!

I have on order an OD green, 5.56, 11.5 barrel with exposed GB - Pistol

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 7:51:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgwlower] [#39]
Very nice, mine is a 10" type 3.

It's setup differently now, than in the pic. My favorite 556 gun. So smooth, no recoil, so accurate.

I also have a 9.5 300 blk barrel for it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 4:53:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Could someone summarize the gas blocks for me?  Or, point me to where a pre existing gas block explanation post lies?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 7:22:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MagnusActual] [#41]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:
Could someone summarize the gas blocks for me?  Or, point me to where a pre existing gas block explanation post lies?

Thanks guys!
View Quote

Here. Scroll down to "XCR-L operating system"

Basically (for the XCR-L)

Type 0 and 1 are legacy
Type 2 is short stroke - piston and rod are separate
Type 3 is long stroke - piston and rod are connected

I was told by Robinson they are moving away from the Type 2 and it can only be added as an option with the "Standard" config. Soon it will be phased out completely. Go with Type 3.

The XCR-M (.308 / 7.62) has both. I don't shoot these calibers so you would have to research what would be a better option, Type 2 or 3...

Link Posted: 10/26/2020 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

With covers on the MLOK rail, it would be the same width as the Pic rail. My SCR-L has the quad rail, and I use a MagPul VFG with a modified c-clamp grip. The extra meat on the Pic rail allows my thumb to lie along the top of the side rail and control the rifle very nicely. I thought about sending it out to have the rails milled off save for a small section near the front, but the quad rails really aren't an issue with ladder covers. They suck with rail panel covers, though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Bump.

More XCR owners get in here and post pics and stuff.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Bump.

View Quote

Not sure if I already posted this in this thread.  Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Gr8Santini:
My $0.02

The rifles themselves are fantastic (I only own L models).   Extremely reliable, modular, ergonomic, etc...

Many people are upset that they dropped the M96.

The company owner pissed off a lot of gun owners by supporting Mitt Romney for president.

CS at the company has been spotty.  It was bad before @xcrmonger.  It was great with her.  It fell off after she left.  It seems pretty good now as all my inquiries are answered quickly, although I can’t get them to sell me the brace version of their FAST stock.  

There is a small contingent of XCR fans that post in this forum.  I’m one.
View Quote

Man, I miss being in the industry. Being in the corporate world pays well but the politics and HR departments are shit.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By XCRmonger:

Man, I miss being in the industry. Being in the corporate world pays well but the politics and HR departments are shit.
View All Quotes
My $0.02

The rifles themselves are fantastic (I only own L models).   Extremely reliable, modular, ergonomic, etc...

Many people are upset that they dropped the M96.

The company owner pissed off a lot of gun owners by supporting Mitt Romney for president.

CS at the company has been spotty.  It was bad before @xcrmonger.  It was great with her.  It fell off after she left.  It seems pretty good now as all my inquiries are answered quickly, although I can’t get them to sell me the brace version of their FAST stock.  

There is a small contingent of XCR fans that post in this forum.  I’m one.

Us XCR owners certainly miss you!  You were a great representative / ambassador for Robarms. Yeah, I’m going on my 26th year of working in the corporate world.  I hope my son takes a different path.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Bump.

View Quote
I'm not an owner yet but as soon as I get back state side I'll be ordering an XCR-M and the XCR-P if they are out then.

@XCRMonger I know you're "out" now but any info on the possibility of the XCR-P coming before 2080?
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Rigian:
I'm not an owner yet but as soon as I get back state side I'll be ordering an XCR-M and the XCR-P if they are out then.

@XCRMonger I know you're "out" now but any info on the possibility of the XCR-P coming before 2080?
View All Quotes
Bump.

2 weeks
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:33:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MagnusActual] [#49]

2 weeks
View All Quotes
Bump.

2 weeks

Ha! I am not an "owner" yet either, although I do have one being built... Or manufactured... or birthed... Or whatever takes 14 weeks... FFS

Anyway, I too would like to see what they can do for for a PCC version. Not in a rush (obviously) but still...

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:35:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MagnusActual] [#50]

Not sure if I already posted this in this thread.  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23396/673A9630-75ED-46A1-96D5-3BA26EC75970_jpe-1663340.JPG
View All Quotes
Bump.

Not sure if I already posted this in this thread.  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23396/673A9630-75ED-46A1-96D5-3BA26EC75970_jpe-1663340.JPG

That's nice. Nice paint work. 12.5" barrel?
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top