Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2006 8:10:08 PM EDT
I hope that this isn't a dupe, but:

I was just surfing gunblast.com, and in the pictures section there was an AUG A3 with the comment "Steyr's AUG is back in production in Mississippi."

Woot!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#1]
They are supposed to make some kind of announcement, whether yea or nay, on Feb. 20.

I hope it's true.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, if the comment is correct, it seems that the cat may already be out of the bag.  Then again, no real commentary has accompanied the picture, just that one simple comment.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I was just cruising the same place for info and saw that comment, so the first place I rushed to was here.

Let's hope!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I found a pic here

This came from gunblast at the link above. Want to make sure they get the credit for it even with the water mark.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunately I would need a version with a 20" barrel so that I wouldn't have to register it as a pistol in MI, but it would still be a little shorter than my AR with 4" more barrel length.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Would be hard pressed to choose the AUG or the FS2000. Guess I would have to hold both.

Also didnt the aug used to come in several other calibers? Something like some sort of 7mm and a 308?

I got to hold one that belonged to an austrailian in iraq but only for a second and it was the A2 model.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]
In the law enforcement section of Steyr's website, they say that they are evaluating the possibility of a 6.8SPC variant.  I don't know anything about any other calibres that might have been available in the past.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#8]
If they sell it to civies, I am SO there. My favorite EBR.

Although if it drove down the price of A1s or A2s, I might go that way too.

Either way, I WANT AN AUG.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If the prices go down enough on the originals, just get both!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the prices go down enough on the originals, just get both!

Don't I wish, yo.

I'm a grad student. And I still need to finish my BOB. And put some money away for investments. And I haven't been paid since August.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:42:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well I found a pic here

www.gunblast.com/images/SHOT2006/Day1/DSC07806.jpg

This came from gunblast at the link above. Want to make sure they get the credit for it even with the water mark.

That is slick!  I was afraid they would butcher if re-released here but I like what I'm seeing.  IMO, based upon appearance alone this blows the F2000 out of water.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:47:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Assuming this is true, then Steyr has shown the way you re-release classic rifle to the civilian public! None of this aborted AR15 shit like SIG!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:13:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I am in for one.

Max
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:35:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks good to me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll buy that for a dollar!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#16]

...Oswald was a fag.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#17]
gunblast must be getting swamped! Their page is down!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I would buy another AUG.

It would be nice if Steyr would bring back the 24" barrel with bipod and a 9mm AUG.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#19]
How about a 5.7 AUG instead.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
How about a 5.7 AUG instead.  

I dunno, I like the idea of using an effective cartridge instead.
Particularly one that I have thousands of rounds of, and can get thousands of rounds of.

If I wanted an AUG chambered for a hard to find round, I'd get it in 6.8SPC.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#21]
LOL I like how people say 5.7 is ineffective.

Anyway, yeh I dont think the 5.7 is designed for that size of a weapon. I would just stay with 5.56 for it or 6.8. Anything bigger than that should just go to 308.

Subgun -> Carbine -> Rifle
5.7         ->5.56 ->    308

Some can be substituted for others but why.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#22]
The Steyr importer used to be located in MS, it is now located in Cummings, GA if I'm not mistaken.  Does it say "Made in USA" on it?  Not trying to burst any bubbles, just trying to get everything straight.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#23]
so how reliable was or is the AUG?  I here its a great shooter if you not a lefty

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn, I hope they put a flash hider on that thing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

From looking at Steyr's website I'd say only the heavy precision barrel version doesn't have a FS.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

As someone mentioned on another thread, the one pictured seems to be the 24" barreled version.  The 18" version on thier website does have the flash hider.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Hmmm let me see if I can find their us website.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I want one I want one.

Out of all the new weapons coming out this one would be my first pick.

They have emm on the movie Aeon Flux (I think thats the rifle). Near the end, looks pretty sweet .
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#29]
On steyr's site they list a a1 and a2 also. I dont know if they are actually going to make those but the A2 looks more apealing to me than the a3. This is just because it looks so blocky and I would at that point rather a fs2000.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
so how reliable was or is the AUG?  I here its a great shooter if you not a lefty

I have never....NEVER had a malfunction with my AUGs. If you are a lefty and you want to shoot a AUG that is no problem. Steyr sells a left hand bolt, which you can install in one minute and change the ejection cover.

Very simple.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The AUG is one the most lefty-friendly rifles ever.

They are also very, very reliable.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#32]
How is it left friendly?  I shot an older A1 that was a FA weapon issued to a friend of mine in the US Customs, and I had to shot right shoulder keep the brass off my face.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Besides having a 24,20,18" versions they had a 16" version that was so compact it felt like a P90 and looked like a cross between a sa80 carbine and an a2.  They were just waiting for government approval before getting started on production.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
How is it left friendly?  I shot an older A1 that was a FA weapon issued to a friend of mine in the US Customs, and I had to shot right shoulder keep the brass off my face.  

There is a left-handed bolt available for it. Swap the bolt out, switch the cover on the ejection port to the other side, and it ejects to the left instead of the right.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I hope they do it, even if it's a civilian model that's fine with me.

It will be a nice companion to my AUG-P (16" original barrel) which I already converted to accept AR-15/ M16 mags.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a left-handed bolt available for it. Swap the bolt out, switch the cover on the ejection port to the other side, and it ejects to the left instead of the right.

Well does not make it leftie friend out of the box.  Only true left friendy bullpups are the FAMAS and F2000
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never....NEVER had a malfunction with my AUGs. If you are a lefty and you want to shoot a AUG that is no problem. Steyr sells a left hand bolt, which you can install in one minute and change the ejection cover.

Very simple.

Chris

I second Chris' contention....and Chris knows how I feel about AUGs.  In the thousands of rounds I put through one of my AUGs ( a black semi-auto AUG-P), I had one malf., and that was due to a weak mag spring.  Once fixed, never another malf.........I mean none at all.  Pretty amazing when you think of it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The AUG is one the most lefty-friendly rifles ever.

They are also very, very reliable.

Of course YOU'd say that.  I mean......look at your screen name....geeeeez.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well does not make it leftie friend out of the box.  Only true left friendy bullpups are the FAMAS and F2000

The FAMAS requires disassembling the rifle to switch from right to left. I don't see the difference?

Agreed on the F2000.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#40]
I beleive the FAMAS only requires you to flip the bolt around to convert it to a lefty rifle.

AUG requires the purchase of a left hand bolt, thus the FAMAS can be converted to lefty right out of the box.

IIRC

I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I beleive the FAMAS only requires you to flip the bolt around to convert it to a lefty rifle.

AUG requires the purchase of a left hand bolt, thus the FAMAS can be converted to lefty right out of the box.

IIRC

I may be wrong.

It's a tad more involved than that, but not too far off.  It definitely doesn't require the purchase of any new or different items, so I guess it can be considered "out of the box" convertible to lefty.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How is it left friendly?

Were they sold with left hand bolts when they were originally for sale?
There are many rifles and shotguns you can purchased left handed. Perhaps the same will be true when the AUG is released.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Can easily be converted to lefty with a lefty bolt, already has a left ejection port with removeable cover.

Much easier than any other currently available gun.  Who has a FAMAS?

I had 2 AUGS over the years, and they were nice to own, I did not shoot them much, sold the last one off to buy more Class 3.  If it is reasonable might think about another one, after paying off the SIG....
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Talonarms is reporting no US produced AUG within the next two years  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Good, Steyr should be made to suffer for selling weapons to the Iranians.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't sell no freakin' arms to the Iranians, and I want my AUG, damnit!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Will the 16" version be too short to legally sell in terms of overall length?

I've always loved the AUG, but with all the great news over the 6.5 Grendel coming out of shot I'm really torn between holding out for a more exotic rifle and an AR15 I can readily convert to fire the grendel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  They are simply going where the $$$$$$ is, since they had no luck getting their product into America.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  They are simply going where the $$$$$$ is, since they had no luck getting their product into America.

It doesnt make it okay.  It doesnt justify what they did.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#50]
All I want to know is, will there ever be a civi Steyr AUG A3 like this:

http://www.armyrecognition.com/europe/Angleterre/Exhibition/DSEI_2005/pictures/Steyr_Rifle_AUG_A3_DSEI_2005_ArmyRecognition_01.jpg

because if there was I would buy it so fast your headwould spin.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top