Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 4:16:15 PM EDT
Just wondering how some of you guys setup your safes.

Not entirely sure what safe I want to get yet.

I've been looking at the Liberty's and Graffunders

How do you guys light the inside of your safes?

=Matt
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:31:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I use those push lights or tap lights whatever they are called. I think their made by Garrity, their like 3 bucks at wally world. Get a big one now. I bought a 14 gun safe thinking it would be enough. Unfortunatley, Ar's while ergonomic for humans don't fit in safes very well.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:46:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I use those push lights or tap lights whatever they are called. I think their made by Garrity, their like 3 bucks at wally world. Get a big one now. I bought a 14 gun safe thinking it would be enough. Unfortunatley, Ar's while ergonomic for humans don't fit in safes very well.

What are those lights? Battery-powered?

I know what you mean about the AR's not fitting right. All I have is a cheap Stack-On safe for now, but I made a small step out of wood for inside the back so the short weapons would reach the barrel racks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know what you mean about the AR's not fitting right. All I have is a cheap Stack-On safe for now, but I made a small step out of wood for inside the back so the short weapons would reach the barrel racks.

I use a series of 110 vac flourescent lights that are switched by a door switch.

I agree that ARs and other pistol grip longuns are difficult what with a PG and a VFG and an optical sight mounted they really need to be fitted into my safe.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#4]
check out champion safes/
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah they are battery powered lights. They are dome shaped, you push the dome and it turns on the bulb. My safe has a shelf that is height adjustable and I just used picture hangers on the rack to hang the light. One on each side of the safe lights it up nicely. It was easier than wiring lights/switches etc in my opinion.

One more tip, if you have several handguns and the safe has a wooden shelf. You can get a 1x4 or 2x4, cut U shapes across the top and screw it to the shelf. Makes a nice handgun rack, the barrel, slide or frame just rest in the U and sit up right on the butt. Saves a lot of space too, I can fit all 8 or 9 handguns and the magazines on the shelf this way.

My 20 inchers were the only ones that give me trouble, I just got a 2x4 chiseled a notch into for the butt and screwed it to the floor. Elevated the rifle enough to get the handguards in the plastic slot.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's the wooden shelf I made so the shorter guns would reach the barrel racks along the back:

A close-up showing the dividers:

I made it with some wood that was lying around in the basement, taking the time to be careful with measurements so it would be consistent and not look too crappy. I could have covered it with carpet but I didn't have any the right color.

Now all I need is a couple of those battery-powered lights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top