BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By Forest:

Originally Posted By Knife_Sniper:
1) Never, under any circumstances, use cheap products to paint a rifle.

Why?  Most 'operators' use the cheap paint to do theirs.

I dont like my paint peeling off... when I re-"painted" a firearm I used molly resin so it will last longer and offer better protection of the firearm. I cleaned all the oils from my barrel (acetone then baked to clear out the crevices near the fsb) and used camo krylon. A week later from shooting the junk starts to scratch and peel all along the barrel. The FSB still has an excellent coat of krylon that is hard as nails... the barrel on the other hand was too hot for the krylon and it has since peeled off. Now my barrel has no protection... :(

I must soon refinish it with more molly resin
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By boilergonzo:
Even big kids need Silly Putty!  Flatten it out and use it to keep small parts, springs, etc. from rolling around.  Also good for getting debris and crud out of little nooks or picking up small parts dropped in tight spaces.  Learned it by watching a watchmaker work on Rolex's and such.

I use a steel bowl with a magnet on the bottom. Works great! If you shop around you can get them for $5.00

Mike
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I give this thread an 11 on the mysterious BlammO scale!  
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for future reference
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 2:09:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Russ4777] [#5]
Here's a pic of the o-ring around the front lug trick.  It really does work nicely to tighten the upper/ lower slop problem.  Cheap, quick and if the o-ring does deteriorate or crack with time, it's a $.20 replacement item.

Link Posted: 6/8/2005 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By goodmedicine:
Tag for future reference

+1
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By lockedandloaded:

Originally Posted By chris157c:
TP role with black string for crosshairs and a magnifying glass mounted with duct tape makes for a good short range scope. hr

Bwahhhhh!!!!hand

how do you keep the image from being upside down?  Wouldn't you need two magnifying glasses?
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 5:46:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 80sgyrene] [#8]

Originally Posted By Dace:
In the four wheeling world, there are hundreds of cheap mods you can perform on your vehicle for little or no money.  I dont know how well this will work in the firearm community, but I will give it a try.

Use WD-40 to clean cosmoline off a rifle.  Its basically gasoline in a can and cheaper then using Hopes.

A .223 / 5.56 shell can be used to adjust the front site on an AR, you use a file to cut some notches and it works perfectly.

And a crushed case can be used on the Troy front buis.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By MAP:

Originally Posted By boilergonzo:
Even big kids need Silly Putty!  Flatten it out and use it to keep small parts, springs, etc. from rolling around.  Also good for getting debris and crud out of little nooks or picking up small parts dropped in tight spaces.  Learned it by watching a watchmaker work on Rolex's and such.

I use a steel bowl with a magnet on the bottom. Works great! If you shop around you can get them for $5.00

Mike

A old semi-plush towl will also keep screws and springs from rolling around.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:14:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CopeLC] [#10]
I use automatic transmission fluid as a lube.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Use the truck bedliner in a can to add texture to any grip or stock.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I like pie.
Sorry had to do it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#13]
My tip:     I keep a couple Wolf 5.56 cases in my cleaning kit.  You can use the neck to scrape off built up carbon around the rear of the bolt.

Digital
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I just remembered another one, sort of.

If you do not want to shell out $3-6 for a 4 pocket bandoleer, you can use a .308 Australian type bandoleer instead.  These can be found for really cheap if you ask, sometimes for free.  It will hold 100 rounds of 5.56 on stripper clips and has snap buttons to keep it closed.  It makes them easier to count, however you do loose the ability to reload 4 full magazines.  You can now only load 3 1/3 magzines from one bandoleer.

Not really AR related, but .308 stripper clips can hold 7.62x39 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#16]
For reloading purpose. Instead of using those dumb brass catchers or chasing your brass all over the ground. I just toss a terry cloth towel over the rifle. The brass falls on the bench or in a box I have placed next to the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been known to assemble or disassemble weapons in a well-lit room with a bedsheet over my upper torso and weapon so i dont have to chase errant detents or springs all over the place. it might look strange, but if you're unfamiliar with a weapon and dont want any nasty surprises it works well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#18]
may not save you money, but will save your tears or a few choice words:
put a small piece of tape(masking, double layer) on the lower on the side you are going to punch the bolt-catch roll pin in.  its too easy to scrape your punch along the reciever making a nice scratch.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#20]
A dab of bright color nail polish on the front sight, saves you $60.00 for a Trijicon post.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By Shooterer:
A dab of bright color nail polish on the front sight, saves you $60.00 for a Trijicon post.

Link Posted: 6/9/2005 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#22]

What's next, lip gloss on the flash hider?

Link Posted: 6/9/2005 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By _DR:

What's next, lip gloss on the flash hider?

Feelings hurt

Can we now move on with the topic?

Oh, by the way... I once used a tampon to clean a
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Use a couple pieces of electritians tape over the muzzle while afield will not change point of impact and keep snow/mud etc out of barrel. Shoot right through it as it will be off the muzzel before the bullet reaches it. m-dc
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By Dace:

Use WD-40 to clean cosmoline off a rifle.  Its basically gasoline in a can and cheaper then using Hopes.

Why????????????????

Boiling water does it better and it is free.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#26]
My cat's breath smells like cat food.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#27]
tag
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Detent and springs humph. I was given the advice of placing the weapon in a large clear plastic bag while working on it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Taggage
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#30]
tag...great topic!
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#31]
for installing the bolt catch pin,i have a small set of channellock plyers with 'liquid electrical tape' on the jaws,the stuff is soft enough hold the pin while starting it and it won't mar or damage the lower's finish while installing the pin
it doesn't take much of a squeeze to get the pin moving
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag for the hints. Even with the idiotic off topic posts, this thread is still worthwhile.
Link Posted: 6/9/2005 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#33]
If you need some parts for a build, and there is no gunshow, and you are a little short on cash...

Call up DaBunny, He has everything.

Link Posted: 6/9/2005 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Use pipe cleaners to clean out the gas carrier key and the gas ports on the carrier.  Go to the cloth store (Walmart, etc.) and buy a couple of yards of cloth (beware of different thicknesess).  Using a ruler that is 1" wide lay down your cloth and mark it with a pen (1" X 1" patches).  For cleaning the rear of the bolt, use emory cloth (what the Colt instructor told me to use).      
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By jmindler:
I've been known to assemble or disassemble weapons in a well-lit room with a bedsheet over my upper torso and weapon so i dont have to chase errant detents

+1.  In addition, the front detent pin can be held in with a very small slotted screwdriver until the pivot pin is installed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 1:01:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:

Originally Posted By jmindler:
I've been known to assemble or disassemble weapons in a well-lit room with a bedsheet over my upper torso and weapon so i dont have to chase errant detents

+1.  In addition, the front detent pin can be held in with a very small slotted screwdriver until the pivot pin is installed.

+1  3/16" flat blade, round shaft screwdriver (works great for me)
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By Redbone:

that works?

i thought of hitting my baby glock with that stuff.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By druncuncas:

Originally Posted By Redbone:

that works?

i thought of hitting my baby glock with that stuff.

Tried it on wood (beater Cetme), the stuff flaked here and there-its just OK.  

On the plus side it is cheap.  

I would not put it on a Glock, maybe try a section of rubber hose or a Hogue rubber grippy thing.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By glock223:

12 inch cleaning rod

.40 cal bore brush

lot's of Sweet's 7.62

Speaking of Sweet's.  I have taken to using plastic bore brushes instead of the bronze ones.  A bit of Sweet's and a minute of brushing cleans up the bore plenty good.  Don't forget to rinse the bore with a non-agreesive solvents afterwards....and only use Sweet's in you chrome lined bores for just a minute or two....after 15 minutes ammoniated solvents can damage chrome lined bores.  So, 'tis said.

Plastic brushes and Sweet's ( or an equivalent ) take a heck of a lot less time, they're easier to use and last MUCH longer than bronze brushes which are destroyed by ammoniated solvents.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By Hellhound:
...maybe try a section of rubber hose or a Hogue rubber grippy thing.

Dont use either - they can (and do) slide around blocking the magazine release and occasionally preventing insertion of a magazine.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Use a couple pieces of electritians tape over the muzzle while afield will not change point of impact and keep snow/mud etc out of barrel. Shoot right through it as it will be off the muzzel before the bullet reaches it. m-dc

+1

You WILL launch springs and drop small parts sooner or later.  Home Depot and other places have a magnet thingy on a handle used for picking up nails in your yard after work.  Get one.  Or an old speaker magnet taped to an old mop or broom handle.  "Sweep" the area and you will find all kinds of lost parts.

A ty-wrap around the base of a sling swivel will tighten it enough so it does not rattle.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Tageroo.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Here is what I did for a front detent installation.  I took a screw driver cut off the tip (flat or cross, doesn't matter), at a point approx 3/8 from the end drill a hole that will allow the spring and detent to pass thru it (I don't know the dims for the hole).  This allow you to insert the screwdriver into the front takedown holes, insert the spring/detent, push it thru and turn the screw driver shaft capturing the spring/detent in the down position.  Now chase the screwdriver out with the takedown pin.  This make a frustrating job fairly easy IMHO.

HTH

If someone wants a pic I can post it, I don't know if this is a common tool or not, I get comments at the shows when I'm building lowers though.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 12:18:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xanadu] [#44]
Here's my contribution - so you don't have a vice?

If your gas tube is being stubborn, dont grab the vise grips just yet.

A pair of commom electrical pliers with the strippers in the handle and the crimper in the jaws works great,  Place the extension on the floor (muzzle pointed up) Grab the tube with the 14-16 jaw, give is a few rotational twists,  get a hammer and tap on the pliers near the tube  - sucker come right off.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#45]
For installing front pivot pins use a 1/4 adjustable clevis pin.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#46]
a .50 cal brush works great for scrubbing the inside of the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#47]
If for some reason you find yourself removing your old stock and you have no idea what you are doing, and your rear take down pin spring flies across the room never to be found again (Because you didnt have a sheet over your head ) have no fear you have an unlimited supply of these springs at your local 7-11. What the hell is he talking about!!? Im talking about the spring in A BIC lighter that pushes the flint up aginst the rolling strike wheel. It is exactly the same diameter and applies enough force on the detent when installed to keep the TDP from moving indefinitly. This way you dont have to order a .50 part and pay $7 in shipping for a stupid little spring that should have stayed in the gun anyway goddamit.

JLS7
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By glock223:

+1
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 7:31:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DocGP] [#49]

Originally Posted By TriggerFish:

Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
How about duct tape light mount?

+1 to that!

Yet another use for a nice piece of bicycle innertube.  And no sticky stuff to clean off the handguards.

Doc
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Not to give away my age, but when Glocks first came out, and before Hogue rubber grips, some of us on swat with plastic guns, used bicycle innertube for a grip sleeve.  Tight, tacky, and cheap, l still use 'em instead of hogues, pac's etc.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top