User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Assemble your own rilfe
Paracord sling mounts
#6 Oring for extractor
Self adhesive grip tape (make your own gell grip)
15 minute trigger job
Visit AR15.com
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By Dace:
Instead of buying a $30 piece of plastic for a receiver block when working with the rifle in a vise, use a cheap 30 round USA made steel magazine.  You can go to home depot or any craft store and purchase a do it yourself molding kit.  Pour epoxy or some other material into the mag body to make it stronger.

I found a piece of wood, 1x3 IIRC, inserted into the magazine does the same thing at a lower cost (the wood was scrap).
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#4]
old socks, t shirts, and underwear get turned into cleaning patches and rags, and I wear t shirts until they're all ripped to hell
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:01:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cgv69] [#5]
I prefer non-chlorinated Brake cleaner. for any cleaning tasks. I will quickly get rid of any oil, residue or crud and is self drying. Just make sure to quickly re-lube any item prone to rust.

#7 O-ring around the front lug on an upper receiver will tighten up most poorly fitting upper\lower combos. It's cheaper and easier to use (and find) then an "Accu-wedge"
(edit to add - See the pic on page 3 of this thread posted by Russ4777 - it shows exactly what I am talking about. Thank Russ!)
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#6]
fishing line to run patches through the gun
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By cgv69:
I prefer non-chlorinated Brake cleaner. for any cleaning tasks. I will quickly get rid of any oil, residue or crud and is self drying. Just make sure to quickly re-lube any item prone to rust.

#7 O-ring around the front lug on an upper receiver will tighten up most poorly fitting upper\lower combos. It's cheaper and easier to use (and find) then an "Accu-wedge"

I use both of these as well with great results. It was probably you who originally suggested them to me
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 on the brake cleaner!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By bigbore:
permatex gas buster

I've seen it mentioned before but forget the details.   ??
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By Mr45auto:

Originally Posted By bigbore:
permatex gas buster

I've seen it mentioned before but forget the details.   ??

what is it?
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool topic guys, I like the spent casing sight tool.
How about duct tape light mount?
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#12]
TP role with black string for crosshairs and a magnifying glass mounted with duct tape makes for a good short range scope.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By chris157c:
TP role with black string for crosshairs and a magnifying glass mounted with duct tape makes for a good short range scope.

Could we keep this on topic?  Please?
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By chris157c:

Bwahhhhh!!!!

Actually, using a paper hand towel cardboard tube would probably make for a decent scope shade to help avoid mirage reflections through the scope.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:57:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthyBlagga] [#15]
Paracord wrapped around aluminum freefloat tubes makes them much more comfortable as the barrel heats up:

Link Posted: 6/7/2005 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

spent casing sight tool?  front sight tool?  don't you need the bullet tip for that?  or are you taking a dremel to a casing to remove portions and leave the claws!!??!?!?!
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 2:10:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dace] [#17]

Originally Posted By JosephR:

spent casing sight tool?  front sight tool?  don't you need the bullet tip for that?  or are you taking a dremel to a casing to remove portions and leave the claws!!??!?!?!

You take a spent casing and dremel/file the claws into it, each cut perpendicular to the other.  Easy and cheap site tool.  You can also use a bic pen by doing the same thing.

I do not remember exactly what casing to use, when I get home I will look.  But I am pretty sure it was a .223/5.56 case.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#18]
A section of bicycle innertube stretched over the pistol grip makes it more grippy and comfortable.  Works on mags too.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#19]
A 12 gauge bore snake works great for cleaning the inside of mags and upper receivers. I also use it to clean the magazine well on my 1911.

This is potentially a great thread although it's probably a dupe. I already use some of the other tips mentioned. I hope that this topic can stay on track and continue to grow.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I use an ironingboard to set my guns on while I clean them sitting at the couch. You can adjust them to the perfect height you need.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Bullet tip works okay if your sight is easy to move, I have one that just does not like to move, and I've messed up more than a few rounds trying to adjust it (and I'm too cheap to buy the real tool)
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By CJan_NH:

Originally Posted By cgv69:

I use both of these as well with great results. It was probably you who originally suggested them to me

I'd love to take credit for these tips but I can't. I know I got the o-ring trick from someone here but I don't remember who turned me on the brake cleaner?

Originally Posted By BlammO
A section of bicycle innertube stretched over the pistol grip makes it more grippy and comfortable. Works on mags too.

Bike inner tube is some great stuff. Cheap as dirt and has a million uses!
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#23]
#1 Use Mobil-1 synthetic motor oil for lube.
#2 Chuck your chamber brush into a drill so you can REALLY clean out everything behind the lugs & in the chamber.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#24]
1) Never, under any circumstances, use cheap products to paint a rifle.
When you think about painting a rifle the word you really should be focused on is refinishing your rifle
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#25]
taggage
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 4:55:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HUNTER223] [#26]
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By Knife_Sniper:
1) Never, under any circumstances, use cheap products to paint a rifle.

Why?  Most 'operators' use the cheap paint to do theirs.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Did you mean the REAR lug?  
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Midway's "solvent swabs" are great for cleaning the inside of your upper receiver.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#30]
To remove the ejector with a vice, cut two cartridge cases down. One goes in the bolt (to compress the ejector), and the other one protects the small end (?) The lenth of the case depends on the size of the vice. Once in the vice, the cross pin can be easily driven out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:07:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rangerone] [#31]
Tag for future use
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By 1-Michigun:
#2 Chuck your chamber brush into a drill so you can REALLY clean out everything behind the lugs & in the chamber.

On a similar note, you can also do this to clean out the crud that painted steel cases leaves behind.

I've seen 2 or 3 Mosin's that were locked up that way and the action had to be opened with a hammer.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:48:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cgv69] [#34]

Originally Posted By X_Ring:

Did you mean the REAR lug?  

Nope, I mean the front one. Try it, you'll like it!

(edit to add - See the pic on page 3 of this thread posted by Russ4777 - it shows exactly what I am talking about. Thank Russ!)
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#35]
can we keep this to "cheap yet potentially valuable tricks..." and not get into the "best advice you can give for the money..." which I believe is separate and in another forum...
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#36]
tag
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 8:21:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pathfinder74] [#37]

Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:
Paracord wrapped around aluminum freefloat tubes makes them much more comfortable as the barrel heats up:

img181.echo.cx/img181/6730/handguardcloseup7kt.jpg

Doesn't doing that also allow less heat to dissipate through the handguards?

White out on your front sight post... I remember it from Basic... I suppose it's good for shooting Black Sillouette paper targets... I don't use it personally...
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#38]
1.Wrap aluminum foil around barrel nut teeth to tighten up your handguards. (Works great)

Link Posted: 6/7/2005 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#39]
If you don't use that front sling mount and the rattle it makes when you move around, just use an O ring to quiet it down (wrap twice around the swivel point).
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#40]
If you are having trouble getting anything off your upper (barrel nut, front post, flash hider) place it in your freezer for an hour and try again. It should come lose at that point.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#42]

This thread should be labeled the WECSOG thread
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#43]
What is the 15-minute trigger job?
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 11:45:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GPK007] [#44]
A Gunsmith trick if you are changing or installing Ar triggers alot like during your 15 min trigger job find an old/extra  Trigger pin or allen key drill bit of equal diameter.

Cut it so it fits into the trigger alone out of the gun without sticking out either side.

Intall your disconecter and spring into the trigger using this pin out of gun.

Drop asssembly into lower slam home the Actual triger pin and viola no fumbing with diconect in lower.

GPK...out
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#45]
No Chamber brush handy a .9mm brush fits the chamber of .223 and a .12 G will fit the lugs

GPK...out
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By _DR:

This thread should be labeled the WECSOG thread

And a big 'ol tag on this one.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Ed's Red

Old black t-shirts are great for wiping down the exterior without leaving unsightly lint everywhere.

Section of inner tube over the forward section of the car stock adjuster thingie.

When storing batteries or what not inside a VFG, buttstock, PG, etc. fill the extra space with foam ear plugs.  It stops any rattles, they're cheap, and you'll always have an emergency set of hearing protection with you.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Even big kids need Silly Putty!  Flatten it out and use it to keep small parts, springs, etc. from rolling around.  Also good for getting debris and crud out of little nooks or picking up small parts dropped in tight spaces.  Learned it by watching a watchmaker work on Rolex's and such.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#49]

+1 to that!
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#50]
A .40 bore brush(nylon) fits perfect inside the bolt carrier to clean it out.  Thanks for the front sight adust tool idea.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top