Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2003 1:43:34 PM EDT
why don't i see anyone post about calicos? Does anyone have one? What are they like?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:12:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Calico Fans web site.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I "had" one. I got rid of it. My personal opinion is:

1. P.O.S.

2. I had to send the magazine back to mfg. twice for repair. Poor design and execution.

3. Constantly stove-piped.

4. Sights suck. Weaver rail set-up is worse then having REALLY loose scope mounts on a bolt gun.

5. Looks cool. That's why I bought one.

I'd take a Ruger camp carbine or CX-9 any day over this thing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:01:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I held a Calico rifle once. It was really lightweight, but it did feel like it was cheaply made. Still wish I could shoot one sometime.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I shot a Calico 9mm submachine gun with a 100 rd drum and a suppressor once. It was really cool. The only problem with the suppressor was that it left a cloud of smoke in the immediate vacinity, and it kind of got to you after 100 rnds. I have zero mal-functions.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a Calico subgun and semi auto in 9mm.  Both functioned 100% but felt rather cheap and fragile.  Mags felt fragile too.  Now I have a Tommy15 www.tommy15.com and have the best of both worlds... rugged & reliable.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an M-950 that I bought brand new never been fired two years ago.  I don't feel it is a total POS but it does have some minor issues.  I've never had a failure to feed, fire or extract and it is fairly accurate.  I think the worst thing about it is 1) the location of the magazine which totally fucks the sighting system up (the Russian Bizon actually copied the magazine of the Calico somewhat but mounted it on the underside of the weapon so it could also serve as a forearm to hold on to) and 2) it's not very comfortable to hold.  The only real way to hold it is like a normal pistol.  I've often thought about registering mine as an SBR and putting the retractable stock with forward pistol grip on it.  I believe this would increase the potential of the weapon drastically.  Thanks to the assault weapons ban we might never know the true potential of this pistol.  Start/keep writing to your Reps and Sens letting them know that you expect the AWB to sunset and not be replaced.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I am a huge fan of my Libery I and III. Their ergonomics take some getting used to but as far as semi-auto 9mm sub guns I would take my Liberty I over an HK94. Although I would abgree that the Liberty III (M-950) is preaty much just a safe queen, it really needs a stock or foregrip, although I find it no worse in that reguard than my friends Steyr SPP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top