Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/2/2003 5:55:25 PM EDT
What bayo fits on a 16" carbine? I have what I believe is an M7 that fits fine on my SP1 but my Sendra carbine sight tower is too far from the flash hider for it to work right.
Yes, I have never owned a bayo before today.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 7:54:36 PM EDT
M7 and M9 bayonets are designed for the M16 series rifles. However, the 16 inch barrel has too much distance between the lug and flash suppressor to properly fit a bayonet. I think the only way to fit a bayonet on a 16 inch barrel is to get a pre ban configured upper with mid length hand guards.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:50:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2003 9:51:51 PM EDT by Zardoz]
DPMS (IIRC) sells a bayonet adaptor that clamps onto a 16" barrel in the correct location to fix a bayonet.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:29:52 AM EDT
By the way, that bayo is a nice blade. It was almost new and I had to sharpen it but I think I like it better than a commercially made knife.
How tough are they? I imagine soldiers put the thru hell, how do they stand up to prying and chopping?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:40:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By captainpooby:
By the way, that bayo is a nice blade. It was almost new and I had to sharpen it but I think I like it better than a commercially made knife.
How tough are they? I imagine soldiers put the thru hell, how do they stand up to prying and chopping?

Actually, being double-edged at the tip (the M7 bayonet), they're really not all that great as a field knife. A good K-Bar or similar knife would serve much better for general use. Now the M9......no idea how it performs; I got out before we got issued those.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:45:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2003 1:45:41 AM EDT by IronBalaclava]
The M9 is a great general purpose knife/bayonet.
Leans more towards survival/fighting knife than bayonet. I have one of the 1st run/ 1st generation Buck M9s. It's great.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 2:03:52 AM EDT
Someone also makes an M7 bayonet with an extra long handle so it fits properly on the 16" shorties.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:14:54 AM EDT
Never owned a bayonet before today.....Hmmmmmm.....

Just remember what Santa said in "A Christmas Story":

"You'll stab your eye out!"
Top Top