Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2003 11:07:37 AM EDT
Pellican cases and the like. They have three layers of foam. The center foam piece is to be cutout to fit the firearm/accessories.

Does anyone have a method to do this neetly?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 12:48:30 PM EDT
what i did was place firearm on center foam, get a Sharpie marker and draw outline of firearm.

Pull center foam out of case and place on cutable surface ( i jus used cardboard)

I used a 4" benchmade knife , what ever ya use it has to be razor sharp, the foam in the pelican case is kinda hard (texture) so with a sharp knife it cuts easily, the trick is to make sure ya cut ALL the way to the bottom, the foam is pretty thick, and i jus use a delicate sawing action, try not to PULL the foam with the knife or it will tear and look like ass.

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:39:37 PM EDT
Three options that I know of to make it easier
1. Freeze the foam. Kinda hard if you're trying to do a rifle and don't have a big freezer.
2. Electric knife. You know, the carving knife you got as a wedding present?
3. Build a "hot knife". There's instructions on the web how to make a knife out of a battery and some stiff wire. for example, this one:
wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/HalloweenTech/fotmak_MakingFoamTools.html#AssortedTools
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:54:12 AM EDT
Pelican's instructions say to use chalk for the outline and and electric carving knife to cut it. I'll be doing this myself when my AR10 gets here.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 7:52:26 AM EDT
if it's closed cell foam (harder stuff), you can heat seal the cut surfaces with a heat gun (even a hair dryer)

this will fix a lot of errors.
Top Top