Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2003 3:34:06 PM EDT
I took a M1 Garand in on trade recently, and have no idea what the rifle is worth. It is a Springfield Armory with S/A bolt and barrel. The finish is in good condition with a few rust specks here there, and there is some pitting in the bore.

Can someone put a value on this thing, I don't what to look like a fool by asking way too much.
(I hope it's worth $350.00, because that what I got in it.)
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the date on the barrel, and check to see if it's a re-import (it'll be stamped blue sky on the barrel, somewhere...either up front on
the bottom of the barrel, or..hell, I can't
remember)

$350 for a shooter is NOT a bad deal by any stretch of the imagination. That's a pretty damn GOOD deal, actually.

Depending on the serial number, how original it is (is the stock cartouched? etc), and some other factors, you might have just dropped $350 on a rifle that's worth a grand or two. If you want to look at it that way, anyway. Check www.scott-duff.com for some more info and pointers.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I can say right now Evil_Ed I am not lucky enough for it to be worth that much money.

No cartouch on the stock. No blue sky on the barrel. The serial numbers on the bolt barrel and receiver do not match, but all SA.
rec.S#2494xxx
bolt #D28287-12SA
barrel rear #SA6535448 12 64 Y65
barrel front ARL.ORD. Arlington VA

I don't know if this helps or not? I assume from was you said that it should be worth three fifty.

Thanks Greg
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, so it looks like it IS a re-import...ARL.ORD shouldn't be there.  

Either way, yes, it's worth that. The reciever alone's probably worth 250 or so. I'd say you got a damn good deal.

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, I had a Douglas NM barrel installed on my Garand for less than $200. Sumbitch flat out shoots now! I even had Gordon Liddy autograph it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:33:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Arlington Ordinance was one of the importers that brought us M1's back from Korea during the mid to late 80's. The rifle is worth the price you paid. Don't worry about a little pitting. Put it on paper and see how it shoots. If you have problems with either accuracy or function, don't get discouraged. Take your concerns to jouster.com or battlerifles.com. There is a lot of knowledgeable people on those sites. The knowledge base here is picking up as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top