Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2002 6:03:29 PM EDT
I was at the Celebrate Freedom Festival in Columbia, SC on Sunday and FN Manufacturing had a booth. Besides a couple of M240 MG variants, the neatest gun they had on display was a USN Mk46 Mod 0 squad automatic weapon. This is the neatest version of the M249 SAW I have seen yet. It is a short barreled version of the M249 with an almost full length picatinny rail along the top of the weapon. It uses a fixed buttstock. According to the FN rep, it has been bought by the Navy for use by "special units". I would assume SEALs. Has anybody seen this MG in service yet?
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used it extensively in many different environments, and I've found it to be versatile and reliable, capable of laying down suppressing fire for extended periods, light enough to use in the assault, a truly great weapon.

Of course all this was while I was playing "Ghost Recon..."
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#2]
If I remember correctly, it was in Small Arms Review Magazine several months back.  Heavy, non-detachable barrel,  NO option for magazine feed, and a special coating where the weapon could be fired for 600 rounds with no lubricant and still not fail to function.  600 rounds was used due to most SEALs not carrying more than 600 rounds for the SAW.  This is all according to the magazine.  Looked like a nice weapon.

jd1
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If I remember correctly, it was in Small Arms Review Magazine several months back.  Heavy, non-detachable barrel,  NO option for magazine feed, and a special coating where the weapon could be fired for 600 rounds with no lubricant and still not fail to function.  600 rounds was used due to most SEALs not carrying more than 600 rounds for the SAW.  This is all according to the magazine.  Looked like a nice weapon.

jd1

Not more than 600...well they have tabbed on with 1000+ 7.62x51 rounds for various M60 models so......
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...Heavy, non-detachable barrel...

FN had a pic on their website, and they showed it with a light-weight, fluted barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top