Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2002 7:58:38 AM EDT
I am almost positive that I'm gonna get a mini 14.
The Kmini 14/5RP to be exact(SS, synthetic, ranch)
What are the plus/minus of this gun.
Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#1]
the pluses include it will digest any ammo you can feed it. It is FUN to shoot. The minuses include it patterns not groups.. good mags are expensive..

If I were buying one again today I think I would buy the standard model instead of the ranch. It does not throw the brass as far and I think the scope on mine was worthless ...

The rear site on the standard model is alot more stout than the folding rear site on the ranch model...  
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input mac
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks raf.
i will keep your ideas in mind when i'm looking this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I've a 14 and a 30 that will both shoot 1 inch groups after Chief AJ's basic workover.  About 130 bucks now I think for trigger job and muzzle brake akin to Browning Boss plus couple odds and ends.

I'd suggest checking with him, seems he said not a good aftermarket scope mount for regular model should you ever want to scope it.
Ranch model can be fitted with better sights and Weaver rail to fit Ruger mounts is available.

www.chiefaj.com=www.chiefaj.com

Link Posted: 10/24/2002 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
BigMac and Raf pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I own a ranch rifle that I'm looking to get rid of in order to get a synthetic-stocked stainless regular (not ranch) version. The only reason I haven't is because mine is pre-ban and I want to have the option of mounting a folding stock a la Buttler Creek.

Any takers?
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 5:17:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Big Mac's comments about the Mini digesting just about any ammo is right on.  Also, if you want hi cap mags, let me suggest you purchase ONLY the PMI (Precision Mag) 20's and 30's.  The 40's  work very well, but are quite unwieldly.  The PMI mags were sold in the '80's under the Federal Ordnance label, with the same part numbers and similar packaging.

RAF's comments about stock, I agree completely.  The action should be a force fit into the stock.  I found that my group sizes were cut in half (from 3"-4" down to 1"-2") when I switched from the original loose wood stocks to the tight fitting Choate pistol grip synthetic stocks.

IF you want to scope a Mini, you can put on an aftermarket mount, such as B-Square's, but the operating rod will strike the front of the receiver, and the shock will destroy reticles faster than you can ship the scope back and forth.  With a regular Mini-14 you MUST fit a rubber buffer.  

For scoping, the Ranch Rifle model has a built in buffer (which looks strange but works) and is the way to go.  However, if you want to use a red dot type, most of which are 30 mm, you will have to purchase special rings from 30 mm Millet rings that are made for the Mini-14 Ranch.

For mounting the head's up type sites, you might be better off with the B-Square mount (weaver rail) on a regular Mini, and putting a rubber buffer.

Stainless is the way to go.

(Edited to add)  And though poor parts support from Ruger (they have them, just don't want to ship directly to us peons) is a minus, these rifles are very dependable, and go BANG! every time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 5:51:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
For scoping, the Ranch Rifle model has a built in buffer (which looks strange but works) and is the way to go.

Oh? Where? I don't think I've ever noticed one. (I've not fired my Ranch in close to 8 years, so my memory of the interior workings is a bit rusty...
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I must have gotten lucky.  With my mini-14 ranch rifle(sythetic stock) with a burris scope I can put everything in a group about the size of a quarter at 100 yards.  I keep the thing with me on the ranch.  It's great for coyotes and really can take some abuse.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 6:35:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am almost positive that I'm gonna get a mini 14.
The Kmini 14/5RP to be exact(SS, synthetic, ranch)
What are the plus/minus of this gun.
Thanks for any input.

If you know you're going to scope the rifle, definitely get the ranch. If you know you're not going to scope the rifle, definitely get the standard. The ranch sucks when non-scoped and the standard sucks when scoped. I've owned both models and can attest to this. Stainless and synthetic stock is recommended for both. Picatinney rails are available for both models. Check out Aimpoint and Ultimak.

Minuses of the ranch: (1) Cheap folding rear sight is a joke. (2) Brass is thrown a long ways.

Plus of the ranch: Specifically designed for scope mounting, although I confess I never mounted a scope on the ranch I had.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd go with the ranch in stainless.  I placed a 2.5x Simmons on mine and at best I have shot a 1" group at 100 yards, using handloads.  I never thought of it before, but mine does have a tight action-to-stock fit.  

I went with a lower power scope because it's objective lense didn't interfere with me removing the plastic handguard while cleaning.  I have a larger and longer scope mounted before, and I had to remove the scope and bases to do a complete cleaning.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Zaphod asked:
(Quoted:
"For scoping, the Ranch Rifle model has a built in buffer (which looks strange but works) and is the way to go.")

"Oh? Where? I don't think I've ever noticed one. (I've not fired my Ranch in close to 8 years, so my memory of the interior workings is a bit rusty..."

At the front of the receiver, where the action spring and rod plug in, on the regular mini, it the rod just plugs into a hole in the receiver.  This is where a rubber buffer is placed for the  plain Mini-14.

On the Ranch Rifle, there is a round disk that swivels on a pin, and the action spring and rod plug into this "buffer" assembly.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I got my Ranch model back in about 87-88. I've always loved it and it's never let me down. But I haven't shot it in a few years. It is like their P-series pistols. It just keeps working and will shoot just about any ammo you put into it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Anybody know how to modify the mini to fire on both the squeeze and release of the trigger?
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Anybody know how to modify the mini to fire on both the squeeze and release of the trigger?

Isn't that what the "Hell-Fire" trigger used to do? Is that still around?
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#16]
No this was a small piece of metal put into the trigger which would make the gun fire as the trigger is released
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#17]
A Mini can be an interesting platform for a custom rifle.

Link Posted: 10/27/2002 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top