Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/29/2002 3:17:53 PM EDT
Are they ok to use?

I just picked up a pair and they didn't have heatshields. Do I need them? They are going on an UGLY PINK M4gery I'm putting together for my wife.

She won't know the difference, but are there any safety/comfort issues I need to worry about?

Tony
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 3:35:49 PM EDT
I know Accuracy Speaks remove the heatshields when they install their free-float tubes, but then the tube will act as a heat shield.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 3:41:15 PM EDT
It is very important to have the heat shields in. The barrel gets noticeably hot after just 10-15 rounds. When I shoot a military qualification course (40 rds in 20 min) the hand guards are warm to the touch. I would hate to hold them w/o the heat shields in.

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:47:18 PM EDT
The new AR180B does not have heat shields inside the handguards and I have blazed away with it and felt no more heat than I do with my other ARs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:00:43 AM EDT
My Oly came with out heatshields, they do get warm, but nothing uncomfortable to the touch. They were very well made and sturdy, but I needed the Colt M4 hand guards to complete the M4 look. Tried to sell them on ebay and had no takers. Guess I have a set for my next project!
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:21:14 PM EDT
Thanx for the input, guys.

Tony
Top Top