Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2002 9:08:46 PM EDT
I'll try to be brief.

Bought a Chinese SKS a year ago from my dealer's shop (several salesmen work there).

Put less than 50 rounds through it, it is very clean (not a mark).

Went to trade same back to dealer and buy a Yugo SKS with flash hider, bayo.

There is one old timer there who is responsible for taking in trades.

Orig price on Chinese was 260, price on Yugo is 267.

The old timer, who, I get the impression doesn't seem to like me much (and I can't imagine why as I'm very polite and never overstate my knowledge of guns) offered me 100 on trade in. I feel insulted. Not really insulted (well sort of) but I thought my Chinese would be worth a little more, especially since I was going to buy another gun right there and there is profit built into that price also.

Thoughts?

PS: I know the SKS is no great rifle to begin with but still...
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Guns are like cars the minute you walk out of the shop with it they lose their value by a third. I used to work in a gun store and the first thing we told a customer who was trying to sell a used firearm was, don't think I am trying to insult you when I tell you how much we will give you for it and you are better off selling it through a private party.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Understood.

I intend to go private party but I was curious as to what you guys thought.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#3]
You should feel lucky that they even offered you $100...

SKS's are a dime a dozen, and nobody wants them...

Did you think you were going to walk out with a different gun and only spend $7 for the difference ???

We get customers in all the time that remind us of what they paid for thier gun when it was new, or when they originally bought it...

Why would they pay you top dollar for a gun which they probably already have 4 of in stock, and can buy for $89 all day long ?
(Try looking at a dealer invoice sometime)

I could understand your frustration if you had "just" bought the gun, and wanted to return it, or if you were a "regular" customer that came in 2-3 times a week....
BUT, if you bought it over a year ago, and only put 50 rounds through it, you obviously are NOT in the gunshop very often...

You were lucky to be offered $100...
Many shops won't even take guns on a trade...

Not trying to offend you or flame you, just offering a "reality check"...
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Now here I was trying to be a nice guy and ask a simple question...alright I accept your last line but...I AM in there 2-3 times a week and have put about ten grand in their store in the last year.

Sheesh
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
BTW, that was not the equation I had in mind. I simply put that in as reference.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#6]
? As with cars, are they required to show me an invoice if I ask?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]
milkman,
theyll offer you the lowest they can get away with, so they can sell it for the most they can get away with. its a business. im sure its nothing personal.

had it been my store and you were one of my frequent/favorite customers, i would forego profit to keep you loyal. but thats just me.

sell it to an individual, youll make a bit more money. good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top