Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 6/27/2002 4:10:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/27/2002 6:12:36 PM EDT by Slacker]
Went to the local pin shoot last night, used my Colt Anaconda w/aimpoint 5000 and PMC 44 SPL LSWC ammo. Talk about shitty ammo! At least one round out of every cylinder has a bad primer. Thats one out of six! No, not a hard primer...a BAD primer.
Precision made cartridges (PMC) my left nut! Needless to say, I didn't do real well. Placed 4th out of 12, normally I'm 2nd or 3rd. Its a good thing I don't miss much, five pins with a six shot revolver doesn't leave much room for error.
Never buy ammo made in a country that doesn't allow its own people to have firearms....
Freakin' ROK ass wads can't make a bullet to save their lives.

Edited title to remove vulgarity - Consider this a warning. - GB

I had no idea that the rules were so strict. My humble apologies.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:59:41 AM EDT
I tried PMC Zappers in my 10/22 and my model 60, and the excessive lube on them would gum up the actions. I've also had bad luck with their .223 cartridges. The cases were thin-walled, and I would get neck splits reloading them more than twice.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 7:06:51 AM EDT
I took out my wifes AR and ran three boxes of PMC through it. On the last magazine, I had a failure to feed, dropped the magazine and the bullet had been shoved back into the case. Definitely not on the top of my list either. John
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 7:08:17 AM EDT
I've never had a problem with PMC ammo. Its not real accurate ammo, but I've never had any misfires with it. I've shot around 700 rds or so without a single problem in the AR's, and many rounds in pistols.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 7:17:00 AM EDT
I can't make any claims about 44 spcl ammo from PMC, but I use PMC in my 10/22 without any problems. I used their standard velocity target ammo the other night to harvest some ground squirrels that are chewing into a friend of mine's pumpkin crop. He's a farmer and the little buggers are digging into his pumpkin mounds and eating the germinating seeds.

Now my 10/22 is beat. It is well over twenty years old, the rifling is looking pretty thin and the muzzle has got some nasty gouges in the crown, but it is still capable of head shots on those little things at 50 feet or more with that PMC ammo. You can get a lot closer to them than that though.

I've got a brick of Zapper high velocity that I will probably break into soon.

Link Posted: 6/27/2002 7:25:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/27/2002 7:34:44 AM EDT by Slacker]
With Rimfire PMC I wouldn't bitch about a few bad rounds. However, with 44 SPL (18.99 a Freakin Box!) I'm bitching plenty loud!
I plan to avoid PMC totally...
Here is the link to the PMC homepage. I've sent them a nasty gram, I bet they don't reply.
www.pmcammo.com/menu.html
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 7:42:25 AM EDT
Wow, there's really no excuse for ammo not to work in a revolver! They're the most foolproof guns I can think of. I've used some PMC, mostly when I couldn't find what I wanted. Never had any trouble with it (.22, 9mm, .223) but I'll sure keep your experience in mind next time I buy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 8:25:40 AM EDT
Dang Slacker! That sucks! I haven't had any problems with the PMC .45ACP I use. That's about the only factory ball ammo I buy (it's the least expensive anywhere I've found). I like it because it's clean, it's always fired for me, and the brass is excellent for reloading. I'm sorry you got some bad ones... Might try contacting them, if you have the lot # the ammo was from... maybe they had a bad run?

Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:05:32 AM EDT
For the record, those that think PMC shoots clean in .45, you haven't shot many types of ammo.

PMC is one of the dirtiest shooting cartridges out there.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 10:22:44 AM EDT
never had a problem with PMC in .223 or .45acp
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 10:28:28 AM EDT
Pardon my ignorance, but where is PMC ammo made?
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 10:49:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:
Pardon my ignorance, but where is PMC ammo made?

Peoples republic of South Korea
(ROK)
Firearms ownership is illegal in the ROK so its not suprising that their ammo is shit.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 12:44:21 PM EDT
I've had problems with both their .223 and .45

My 1911 works with EVERYTHING except PMC.
It causes Failures To Feed and Failures To Extract, stovepipes galore!!!!

Their .223, the cases ae waaaaay too soft. When I used their .223 any time I had to remove a round from the chamber at the range, the cases were damaged just from being chambered.

I even had a few get bent while attempting to chamber them.

I avoid PMC like its a plague.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:50:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Slacker:
Went to the local pin shoot last night, used my Colt Anaconda w/aimpoint 5000 and PMC 44 SPL LSWC ammo. Talk about shitty ammo! At least one round out of every cylinder has a bad primer. Thats one out of six! No, not a hard primer...a BAD primer.
Precision made cartridges (PMC) my left nut! Needless to say, I didn't do real well. Placed 4th out of 12, normally I'm 2nd or 3rd. Its a good thing I don't miss much, five pins with a six shot revolver doesn't leave much room for error.
Never buy ammo made in a country that doesn't allow its own people to have firearms....
Freakin' ROK ass wads can't make a bullet to save their lives.

I just find it interesting that someone would go shoot a match with untried ammo. Not real bright!
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 3:05:27 PM EDT
PMC = Pretty Much Crap
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 3:59:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/27/2002 4:00:55 PM EDT by Slacker]

I just find it interesting that someone would go shoot a match with untried ammo. Not real bright!

Thanks for pointing that out, you've been a big help.

Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:00:15 PM EDT
I never had trouble with PMC in my 223 yes it is dirty stuff. Then again I'm the guy that can't get ss109 battle to go through my 20" but no problem going throug the Varminter.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:03:45 PM EDT
I've had no problems with PMC .223. Perhaps dirtier than Fed. Amer. Eagle but certainly cleaner that Russian ammo (Wolf, Tula, Barnaul, etc.) Never any misfires, feed problems, etc.

PMC 9mm is wholly anemic and will not reliably cycle Colt 9mm carbines - thought I had all sorts of problems but when I changed to IMI ammo, all was well.

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:15:06 PM EDT
My Box of PMC .223 says it's "made in R.S.A." I assume that is South Africa.

It's cheap stuff. $3.95 for 20 rounds. I have yet to fire PMC .223. I have yet to fire a single round out of my new AR since I've been way busy with work. :-(
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:16:55 PM EDT
Just my experiences, but I have never had a problem with PMC in .40 or .223 with well over 1000rds through of each.

I have a case of unused PMC 9mm, hopefully that will be as trouble free...
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:38:40 PM EDT
I have used PMC off and on for the last twenty years and have never had a problem with it. Most of the PMC I have shot is 5.56 and 45ACP. I trust it to work in my AR-15's.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:53:13 PM EDT
I bought a few boxes to run through my Glock 30.
It was crap.
I had no less than 20 rounds out of 150 rounds not fire.
Never had a failure in my Glock untill I used this shit.
If they can't get the primers right no telling what eles they may screw up on.
It just aint worth it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:15:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Slacker:

Thanks for pointing that out, you've been a big help.

Always glad to be of service.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:04:08 AM EDT
I've shot PMC for years & have yet to have the first problem. I use 9mm & .45acp at IDPA matches & only use PMC for their dependibility. Kinda ironic, given your post. >gg<

Maybe I live a cleaner life than you? >evil grin<

I've heard that some PMC is made in Texas or AZ, can't recall which.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:47:41 AM EDT
You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:18:15 AM EDT
you need to get a reloader if you are paying that much a box for ammo!
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:59:57 AM EDT

I've heard that some PMC is made in Texas or AZ, can't recall which.

Neither. Made in Boulder City, Nevada by Eldorado Cartridge Corpration, a subsidiary.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:21:57 PM EDT
The box of 44 spl I have says "made in R.O. Korea"
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:45:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Supershooter:
I have used PMC off and on for the last twenty years and have never had a problem with it. Most of the PMC I have shot is 5.56 and 45ACP. I trust it to work in my AR-15's.

I've still got some boxes left over from wayback.. mostly was made in ROK, IIRC.

anyway I don't have it in those calibers, only 9mm, 22lr and 30 carbine. At the time it was great stuff, and I would (have) bought it again, 'cept I havn't seen it anywhere for sale.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:54:23 PM EDT
Hate the stuff. I tried some with my shooting buddies. Their 45 ACP is the only ammo I have tried which my USP Tac can't digest and the 223 choked our AR's terribly. Awful stuff...
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:47:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/28/2002 6:50:41 PM EDT by uglygun]
Uh, the PMC 223Rem has gone through multiple variations upon the theme over the years.

The older PMC from 4-5 years back was really decent stuff, nice and hot actually with plenty of reliability.

Then there was a rumor going around that PMC was caught using US donated ammo making equipment to roll the 223Remington, basically it was M193 spec stuff. According to this rumor PMC was banned from importation for awhile until it was no longer manufactured with US donated equipment. Sounds wierd and could very well be made up, but the rumor coincided perfectly with a PMC drought in the US and when the stuff started coming in again it didn't seem as hot as it once was.

Now enter the current PMC 223Remington "fodder", it's not even Korean manufacture anymore. I have old stock PMC on hand that is part of my "goto" ammo and the difference between it and the current lots coming into the US is pretty obvious, it's not just cosmetically different but it is also a bit difference performance wise(less than stellar performance in my carbine but fine in my 20in). The current lots of ammo coming into the US compare VERY closely to SouthAfrican ammo, everything about it points to SouthAfrican manufacture from the cosmetic appearance of the bullet to the markings on the box.

The older lots of PMC were the best performing ammo in my ARs that I ever laid hands on. Aside from the random offcenter flash hole that made decapping a total bitch when handloading, I really liked the stuff.

Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:52:04 PM EDT
I've fired quite a few hundred rounds of the stuff through my AR and have never had any problems with it.

Damn Uglygun, I was beginning to think you disappeared like Jimmy Hoffa or something. Where ya been?
Top Top