Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2002 10:01:35 AM EDT
I recently purchased a M98K in 8mm.  I was fortunate to find one with all matching serial numbers in near-flawless condition.

I really like the rifle...but I'm having trouble adjusting to the German military sight system.  First, it appears to be zeroed at 200 meters, vice the US practice of using 100 meters as a minimum range.  Most of the target shooting I do is at about 100 meters and I have to shoot quite low to hit the bullseye.

Maybe its just me, but is there a way I can learn how to engage targets and hit the bullseye with more consistency?  Is there a trick to the old German Wermacht rifle range training syllabus that I'm unaware of?
Finally, I've been thinking about scoping the rifle.  I would like to use a scope that would be somewhat close to what the Germans might have used in WW II on this rifle.  Is this doable and worth the effort on a budget?  I would prefer to stay with the iron sights if possible...but I want to be able to hit my targets with consistency too.

Many years ago, I learned to shoot on an '03 Springfield and an M1 Garand.  Never had any problems putting rounds in the black consistently with those weapons.  What am I doing wrong with this rifle?

Suggestions?  
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#1]
A taller front sight should do the trick. They are readily available from a number of sources, including Brownells and Gun Parts Co. As for an historically acurate scope and mount, yes it is doable but originals are hard to find and very expensive, and the few reproductions I have seen are not worth the effort. What sort of ammo are you using, surplus,or reloads?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Checked on that historical scope while waiting for answers...not goin' there.  Way expensive...just like you said.

Taller sight is an answer...but I was trying to do this the lazy man's way first.  Question still unanswered:  Why did the Wermacht teach the men to shoot at 200 meters?  Takes some getting used to.

Thanks much for the feedback.

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:33:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I expect that 200 meters was a good point to zero the rifle for an appropriate battlesight zero.
From 0 to probably 300 meters or so one would simply point and shoot and have a reasonable chance of hitting the target.  This battlesight zero was probably right on at 200m; under at less, and over at longer.
Here's a link for ya: home.thezone.net/~k98k/start.html?

Thanks Raf.  I downloaded the info.  Very informative.  I'm headed back out to the range for more practice this weekend.  We'll see what happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top