Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2002 4:08:19 AM EDT
I want to mount a red dot on my Mossberg 500 slug gun. What is the sturdiest type of mount ?
I already have a rifled slug barrel and don't want to buy another barrel w/ cantilever. Are the "no drill or tap" type of mount that CDNN sells any good?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 4:39:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I want to mount a red dot on my Mossberg 500 slug gun. What is the sturdiest type of mount ?
I already have a rifled slug barrel and don't want to buy another barrel w/ cantilever. Are the "no drill or tap" type of mount that CDNN sells any good?

Skeet67, three choices...

The 'no gunsmith' mount will work, but barely. It attaches to the trigger group pins (like a side saddle shell holder).  Bolts that hold it have to be tight enough to keep the mount from moving, but if they're too tight they may make your action stick.

Cantilever barrel...no go.

Drill & tap the receiver & use a Weaver-type rail.  That's what I'd do...mount is rigid, you can diy as receiver is aluminum, and you won't hurt the Mossy's value.  I have a couple that were drilled & tapped at the factory.

-hanko
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top